Letting Off Leash

Caroline O'Kane

I take Cooper out every evening and he loves our walks but at the park we go to he has met a wee friend called ERIC a lhasa apso who is there every evening and they play together for ages Eric's owner has him off leash and i would love to let cooper off to play properly with him i just want to know how great are the risks as i have read NEVER to let them off in open spaces any advice is appreciated

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there is loads of advice about this and everyone has an opinion, but personally I would never let Skye of the lead. She does love to play and when we meet other dogs who are off lead it seems a shame that she can't be let off too, but I know for a fact that if something caught her eye she'd be off and I'd never see her again.

the risk is GREAT that he will run off his prey instinct will be kicking in soon and there will be otherthings much more interresting then mummy with treats...for example birds, cats or other pups...

If mine have the urge to run free(ish) I stick them on their 20 meter long lead and the go mad...for 5 mins...

offlead in a fully enclosed area is offcourse not a problem... I would not risk it....

Have a read through this thread.

Almost everyone has had a chance to put forward their opinion on this topic.

It should give you some background and info as to why most of us on here never let them off lead except in fully secure areas.

We tend to go to the park where we can let them off with Marc standing at the 1 gate and me trying not to get run over by Bella.  Marc does get some strange looks sometimes as there is a sectioned of kids play area.  We are lucky in that respect that we have one so close.

It would be nice to take them over to the park at the end of our rd and let them have a good run round there too, so will invest in a long long lead and let you know how we get on.  :D

Not letting a husky off lead is one of the hardest things about owning one but the risk of them getting lost, injured or worse is not worth taking.  

We have 6 metre leads for forest walking and now we have an enclosed area of about 30 x 15 mtres, it's awesome and the doggies sleep well at night ;)

It is tempting to let them of lead and they may be fine for the first 10 times but there is always a chance the 11th might end in tears.   It sounds like scare mongering but when you hear some stories. It has made me really think about offlead times...

Our garden is 160 feet by 80 feet, we are just about to upgrade the Fence to even higher as we are thinking about fostering.  They love running round like loonies.. Got trees and bushes will try to get a video of the nutters.. 

One of my friends lost her husky in July. She let it play off leash (1.5 year old) with another dog. Her husky saw a squirrel, and was never seen again. Over 2 months later, and she still hasn't been found (she's contact the humane societies, put up posters, etc, etc). 

Its not worth the risk.

Simply not worth it.  Ever.  No matter how old and loyal.  But especially at a young age like that, it would be extremely risky. 

The love you and your dog share may be the greatest in the world but at the end of the day it will not be enough for him to overcome the calling mother nature has ingrained into his kind should something bring it out of him.

I let my oldest dog kassy off lead all the time. She loves to run circles around the other dogs. Once she is tired she will come lay down next to me and rest.

My other husky on the other hand NOPE NEVER!!! Last time we went sled racing, her harness snapped and she took off. Bye freya. She knew her recall but deliberately chose not to obey. I was so luck and so thankful that the person I front stopped so I could grab her. My heart was pounding

I let my oldest dog kassy off lead all the time. She loves to run circles around the other dogs. Once she is tired she will come lay down next to me and rest.

My other husky on the other hand NOPE NEVER!!! Last time we went sled racing, her harness snapped and she took off. Bye freya. She knew her recall but deliberately chose not to obey. I was so luck and so thankful that the person I front stopped so I could grab her. My heart was pounding

My dog's father was never on the lead, he would always go wandering off in the woods but he would always come back so his owners didn't think anything of it. A few weeks ago he ran off and ended up in a farmer's field of sheep and he was shot. It really isn't worth the risk, I have a 50 ft lead and it's great :)

My dog's father was never on the lead, he would always go wandering off in the woods but he would always come back so his owners didn't think anything of it. A few weeks ago he ran off and ended up in a farmer's field of sheep and he was shot. It really isn't worth the risk, I have a 50 ft lead and it's great :)

RIP to your dads dog.

Thank you for perfectly highlighting the dangers of trusting the training over instinct..

While to some it may seem cruel and unnatural to keep the Husky permanently on leash

it's the only way of guaranteeing the dogs safety.