Study Abroad: Japan Vs Uk

mydiamond

So one of the scholarships that I won going to college is a study abroad scholarship. I can't let it go to waste, so I thought I'd use it to visit one of the two countries I've always wanted to visit. One of it speaks the language I find the most beautiful. The other is where most of our H-O folks are! But my scholarship only covers one trip so I have to choose :( So which it should be: UK or Japan??

Tokyo Pros:

- Cheaper. My scholarship covers almost 75% of all the costs, including housing and miscellaneous.

- Directly connects to my major which is Elementary Ed. I'd be teaching children to speak English there.

- A non-English speaking country, which would give me more of the "let's get lost!" feeling :lol: I speak Japanese a little, but not enough.

- Optional extended trip to South Korea included!

Tokyo Cons:

- Held this summer, which means I'd have to delay coming home by 3 weeks. Not that I mind (summer break is 4 months long) but I just can't wait any longer to see the dog!

- I might get lost for real

- Let's write the "I can't wait to see the dog" part again, because that's a major con.

London Pros:

- Meeting you guys!! :D If you don't mind a crazy teen, that is :D don't worry about the time, I'd be there five weeks!!

- English-speaking country, which means I could still find my way back even if I get truly lost.

- Held Summer 2016 which means I get to go home the very moment summer starts this year (I mean, next year. But this school year)

- I'd be traveling around visiting various sites and cities instead of staying in one place

London Cons:

- Expensive :( my scholarship only covers a little less than 50% of the total cost.

- The course I'd be taking is indeed in my "required" list, but this one's philosophy :huh: I'm not sure I'd enjoy that class

Well, I have been to the UK, and I would give anything to visit again. I have not been to Japan, but do know that food and lodging are extremely costly there. So I am surprised that a trip to Japan would be less expensive than one to the UK. But regardless, I am older than dirt, so whatever is easier to accomplish is probably what I would go with.

I'd be partial to Japan myself, but I did a Japanese minor during my undergrad so I have a bit of an investment in it :)  I had a couple friends do a study abroad trip with Sakura University there last year and they absolutely loved it.  It's a place I've always wanted to visit but have never been able to afford.  If you're worried about which to choose I'd maybe talk to some professors in your program and see what their thoughts are, don't be afraid to reach out to your profs, they're generally extremely helpful.  I'd also maybe talk to people from each of the programs you're looking at, it'll make your decision easier to talk to people directly involved in those programs, you can never have too much information on such a decision!  Whichever you choose I'm sure it'll be an exciting and educational experience :)

I regularly go to Japan for martial arts study and examinations. I have also lived in the UK for 2.5 years. Both are fantastic and both offer a wonderful culture and history.

Believe it or not, food, drinks and board are far cheaper in Japan than the UK. But summer in Japan is not the best time to visit at least from my perspective as someone training in martial arts - many dojo shut due to the heat.

So, your decision is one I can't really help with other than to say that both are excellent. UK will be somewhat different from the USA where you are, but Japan will be vastly different.

It sounds to me as if you've already decided, to be honest, looking at your lists Japan is the winner financially and educationally. Although we would love to meet you Liv, your education comes first. Could you not do the Tokyo thing next summer and perhaps look at applying for a grant to study " English regional dialects and cultural terminology in the 21st century" sounds stuffy enough someone might hand you some cash lol.

Whichever you decide, HOs will still be here for you, good luck

Like all the rest I would love to visit Japan.

But it would be so cool for you to visit over here and meet some of us guys in person.

I would go for Japan just because of how much cheaper it is for you and you get to go to South Korea, that's just amazing! Japan is also an amazing country to visit. I went in 2011 just after the Tohoku earthquake so it was a lot cheaper then going to America that year. The country is really unique. The people rush around, so walking fast is the norm over there which is awesome for me. There are so many awesome shops in Akihabara (the geek district), the temples are so awesome, they are hidden all over the place. Tokyo Tower isn't what you expect, but the views are good. You have to visit Ueno Zoo. It's really cheap to get in and it's a lot of fun. The arcades, if you like games you have to check them out, they are so awesome. So many rhythm games that I couldn't try them all. Some were far too hard for me and I find the UK games too easy.

The city is also very easy to get around. Most places you can just hop on a train and all the signs in the station have English under them so it's hard to get lost. The only time we got lost was looking for the Kamen Rider restaurant in Ikebukuro, we didn't get lost but finding the place was hard since there were no real maps to the place online. I only found it because I heard the Kamen Rider Kuuga theme tune playing as we walked past the building on the way back.

One set back is that it gets really hot there, but it's not too bad. I didn't mind it, it was the humidity that really bothered me. It just makes everything cling to you, my boyfriend wore light coloured trousers one day... bad idea for a guy who sweats a lot in the UK summers.

Aw, shoot! The trip that includes optional excursion to South Korea is not the same one that teaches children how to speak English :facepalm: the former one offers Communication courses, which is not my major, so I filed an application to the latter one. All I need is see my program adviser and somebody from the study abroad office to be my reference people. Then they'd review my application, hopefully admit me and off I go!

The program runs from May 9th to May 30th; moving around from the old-fashioned Kyoto, to historical Hiroshima, and finally the "I've never head of it" Matsue.

I'd be sure to ask the "somebody from the study abroad office" if there's any other study abroad scholarship I can apply for, so I can also visit UK :P

Saw that a volcano erupted in Japan. Don't think the have volcanos in the UK. That would clinch it for me.

Saw that a volcano erupted in Japan. Don't think the have volcanos in the UK. That would clinch it for me.

LOL yep. . . No Volcano's here :clap::up: