Apartment Hunt

mydiamond

It's never fun when you're a pet owner :( (( random rant warning ))

So I began my hunt with three sites in mind. Two of them are across the road from each other, and one is a little bit further away. The neighboring sites belong to the same company so they have similar policies. They're both on reasonable price of about 580-600... until I realized that they're unfurnished :( but hey they're very close to campus and they only require a one-time pet fee instead of one-time fee plus monthly fee. They have no breed restrictions, but they do have weight restriction which is 35 and under. I know I've always said Dime is 50-55, but the last time I weighed him (which is a few weeks before I leave to the US) my scale says he's 15 kilos = 33 pounds. I usually don't trust that scale because it's older than I am, but now for the love of all things holy PLEASE let that scale be accurate. I'll weigh him again this summer when I come home. Cross your fingers for me/him/that old scale :huskyfall:

The farther apartment has no weight/height restriction, but it does have several breed restrictions which does not include Huskies. It does include GSDs though, which sucks because I imagine my second dog would be a GSD. Anyways, this farther place is a little more expensive, but at least it gives me a peace of mind regarding the dog. But then I hopped on the bus and realized that this place is very, very, VERY far from campus. Even worse; the buses only visit bus stops in this area every 60 minutes! Nope nope nope nope nope not living here. Decision made. I'm gonna be super late to my classes!

So it's either we wriggle through the weight restriction someway somehow or I'd have to find another apartment that is: 1) close to campus 2) within my budget and 3) allows a heavy-shedding, mean-looking, more-than-thirty-five-pounds dog. I can't believe how hard it is to find *just one site* that fulfills all three. I thought the fact that Dime is the result of a backyard-breeding haphazard would help me a bit, since he's so small and all. But gosh, why are those weight restrictions so low? Can't they raise it to fifty? :(

I've found that trying to rent with a husky is very challenging in the us. Even those without breed restrictions usually have weight limits.

Also it is customary for apartments to be unfurnished.

I would check craigslist too you might have better luck

Have you thought about a flat share ? Perhaps you could advertise for someone, stating they need to be a dog lover but not a dog owner. I assume this has to be near east lansing, or are you transferring ? I know you love dime, but is it the best idea to take him all that way ?

Have you thought about a flat share ? Perhaps you could advertise for someone, stating they need to be a dog lover but not a dog owner. I assume this has to be near east lansing, or are you transferring ? I know you love dime, but is it the best idea to take him all that way ?

Not only it has to be East Lansing, it has to be near campus :( that's why this search is one arduous journey.

I know flying him over sounds like a bad idea (in fact, in some aspects, it indeed is) but he really, really can't stay back there :( we practically only have each other. I can't come back, I can't let my family control me anymore. They've driven me to the verge of insanity where I escaped by the skin of my teeth. I'm aiming to live somewhere out of their reach, where I can actually live instead of merely exist. Plus, my field of study is shaped to fit American public schools. I'm not getting a job in Indonesia with these materials :( B.U.T if there really is no way to fly him over, then I'm coming back. I'd get a job someway somehow, probably using the connections I've made in my old high school. But really I'm trying my very best to steer away from this Plan B. I'm not at all happy in Indonesia. I can't care for my dog if I'm insane or dead, so I put Plan A as top priority. But Dime's best interest is on top of the top priority. If for any smallest reason he can't fly, Plan B it is.

East Lansing, or will Lansing do ? I know it's a bit weird but I just went surfing a little, place called collage towns apartments dogs allowed call for policy, furnished/unfurnished. Various prices and sizes it SAYS their close to MSU, 4 bus stops some apmts have heat cable etc included, found it on apartmentguide.com

East Lansing, or will Lansing do ? I know it's a bit weird but I just went surfing a little, place called collage towns apartments dogs allowed call for policy, furnished/unfurnished. Various prices and sizes it SAYS their close to MSU, 4 bus stops some apmts have heat cable etc included, found it on apartmentguide.com

Sarah, you're a star :D thanks a lot! So they have breed restrictions but did not state any weight restrictions. A little far, but if the bus comes frequently I don't mind. The problem with the farther site I crossed out is the fact that buses only visit that area every 60 minutes :( I'll check this place out and if it's pretty okay I'll move there on my third year a.k.a the year the dog flies over!

I found another one closer to Lansing, (well it looks closer on the teeny tiny map lol) 2 bedrooms unfurnished $650, no aggressive breeds and under 40lbs yay Ferris 01-2 website apparently

I'm sure my kids would agree that I'm a star, a large ball of gas lol.

People who love huskys are a breed apart themselves, never really understood by outsiders, "they shed, their eyes are creepy, you can't let them off lead ?" All comments every husky lover has heard I'm sure. So, we have to stick together and help each other, I can't do much from the other side of the water, but this, this I can do.

Oh just had another thought, does MSU have an Animal Care/vet medicine/vet nursing type course ? Might be the perfect place to find a flatmate who will love dime.

Yes yes yes! Our clinic is actually only a five-minute walk from my dorm :D I still need to Google the difference between flats and apartments though :shrug:

I've never been 100% sure of Dime's weight... or my weight, really. Like I said I don't trust my old scale :huh: it kept saying I lost two kilos in three days and gained back one kilo the next day :angry: BUT, I know he's light enough to carry.

Some other resources that may help you if you haven't looked at them yet are:  zillow.com, realtor.com, hotpads.com, and rent.com 

Those are the ones I used to find a place in Cincinnati that would allow Champ.  The search is horrible, believe me it's the worst when you have a large dog.  I ran in to the breed restrictions, the size restrictions, and some crime problems when we were out looking.  We had settled on a place that would have been more affordable than where we're living now but at the last minute we were told they had new restrictions in and Siberian Huskies were on it.  I was pretty upset because we had our applications filled out and ready to go.  So now we're living in the place we wanted the most but it's more expensive, we had to put down a pet deposit and we have to pay an extra $30 a month on top of having to have pet insurance on our rental insurance policy.  It sucks but he's worth it.  I hope you can find a place that will work, it's my experience that they don't really check the weight as long as the dog looks like it falls under the limit.  When you're talking to them tell them he's 33 pounds, if you're talking to them in person make sure you're convincing.  A lot of the time they'll just take your word for it, if you're worried ask them if they require any paperwork from your vet.  When we moved in here they just required name, age, breed, if he was intact or not, and his rabies id number so they didn't even ask for his weight and they have a restriction of 70lbs.

Good luck!  Let us know how the search turns out.

Thanks loads guys :)

I already told one of the management people that my dog is thirty three. I don't know how convincing I sound, but it went like this:

Me: I do have a dog but he's not here yet.

Her: Oh okay, for dogs our policy is under 35 lbs.

Me: *sighs in relief, fake relief* He's 33!

Her: Perfect! He'd be more than welcome then!

Me: Do you have any breed restrictions? *starting to worry again*

Her: Nope. Under thirty-five, that's all we ask for.

Me: (in my head) that's too much though!