Fences On A Rented Property?

Stardancer85

Any of you Sibe owners also home renters?

I'm hoping to get a Siberian when my BF and I rent a house in the spring. But unless the previous owners we rented from had a Sibe, I'm guessing the chances that a fenced backyard will be "Siberian secure" are slim to none. It will be a while before we can afford our own house and our own garden/Alcatraz. Curious if others have come up against this issue and how it was handled?

My thoughts now are 1) offer to pay for needed fencing improvements on the rental property, or 2) putting an invisible fence INSIDE the existing fence.

I know invisible fences alone don't keep your dog safe from other dogs/kids, and that they also may not work on Sibes because of their thick fur and how fast they are. But if it kept them away from the inside perimeter of the fence, it might be effective against climbing/digging along the fence line.

Thoughts from the experts?

I probably would not trust an electric fence either. 

If there is not a fence I would probably use a tie out to let the pup go potty, but make sure it is a strong one with a cable and a strong stake, and I would not leave them unattended for long.  I don't rent, but my house is a townhome with a small courtyard area that is fenced, but it's only about 20x20, so all of their exercise comes from walks.

After Searra's story I completely lost faith on e-fences even if I never even lay my eyes on one. Basically what happened is there's this rain and the e-fence short-circuited, letting the pooches run loose. One never came back.

I don't have anything to suggest but this is probably one thing you'd like to ask your landlord/lady, since some renters don't like their properties altered. Some others are OK though.

We have used a ground staked tie out with a 30 foot cable and now a trolley system with no issues other than getting wrapped around the occasional tree.  We do check on him regularly when he is out on the tie out.  For us it has worked great until we someday get the fence put in.

We rent and the house we are in had a fence already. It is a 7 foot fence and has kept him in just fine. He has dug holes around the edges, but the soil is very poor so he hasn't gotten very deep. We are watching the holes. I'm sure one day they will become large enough for him to slip out, and then we will have to put stones down. But so far we've had him in the house since May and he does fine. I would never leave him in the yard when I leave the house, but as long as someone is always here we are comfortable. 

Also, we ran into quite a few home owners that did not want a tenant with a husky. They are, believe it or not, on the aggressive breeds list. So just an FYI, you will likely run into this issue as well. 

We are in the UK and have a rented home - its a 6 foot fence and one side has trellis on top so 7ft. On the left hand side the fence had about an inch gap from the floor and she started to dig out there and fit her head under to see next door! My partner dug down into the ground about a foot and added wood to the bottom of the fence and she hasnt tried again since - I guess as she could see underneath it was temping for her as she never tried the other side.

We are in rented accommodation and have been in rented homes since having huskies.

When we first had huskies was the most difficult as it wasn't secure at all (not husky proof anyway as it was hedges) but we got some high stock fencing which kept the garden secure.

Everywhere else has been fenced properly so not had a problem. Before we moved to where we live now (moved in March) we had to have a new fence put up as it had got blown down in the sevre storms earlier in the year but the landlord paid for the new fence so again it wasn't a problem, we told him the fences needed to be at least 6ft high and that's what we got :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a landlord, I do not want my tenants making changes to my properties themselves. My contracts explicitly state that the tenants can not make changes without written permission from me. If they do make changes, I can charge them to return the property to its original state.

In the UK, you can't have fences higher than 2m (at the edge of your property) without planning permission.

I would recommend you check if there are any restrictions on height of fences with your local council and then approach your landlord and ask to change the fence. Does he know you have dogs?

Thanks again everyone for your input. Keep it coming! I love it.

Adam, I appreciate your insight as a landlord. To clarify: I don't have a dog OR a rented house yet, but would clear a husky with my landlord before moving in (because as Rachel notes, they are on that ridiculous aggressive breed list thanks to a misunderstood survey by the CDC back in the 90s - ugh). I also wouldn't modify without the explicit permission of the landlord. Thanks for pointing out the fence height restrictions in your area - I'll look into that!