Hydration Backpack

Stormy

I use a Platypus, http://www.cascadedesigns.com/ie/platypus - which then goes into my backpack, together with my camera/lenses, lunch, dog treats, gloves, hat, etc. In the summer I cool it in the fridge first and put it in a thermal jacket with an ice pack so I've cool liquid to drink ;)

Yep...when my brother was into competitive mountain bike racing, he had a camelback. He told me they are hard to clean, though. 

You don't normally need to clean the bag if you use it for water. I just replace the pipe once a year on my platypus.

We use these for long distance running events, (although I do tend to run without fluids if my distance is less than 15 miles - then I wonder why my times aren't very good)!

My last two came, (free), with the mini 'back packs' we use to carry a change of clothing when marathon training when we start running to the various Wetherspoon pubs in different counties!

These can be picked up for silly money at the various running/cycle fares that are held up and down the country - or check some of the on line outlets.

I like those water, (saddle back), packs that can be fixed to our dogs as it is only fare that they should share the responsibility of carrying ones 'supplies' during the planned walk, run or cycle ride!

I have had problems with mould, (but only if the bladder is stored whilst slightly damp), but you can also purchase small brushes that will clean the insides and you can use baby bottle steriliser to rinse out the packs prior to putting it away until the next time, (making sure it is dry first)!

• 3 months later...

I've had one going on ten years now. I end up having to replace the badder almost annually and sometimes I use 2x 1L smartwater bottles instead of the badder... but beyond simple convenience, I love the backpack itself... it's the perfect size for a 1-2day trip out on the trails. I modifying mine with some extra's so it can hold my hammock/liner on the outside and added some minor internal structure to support a bit more weight without it becoming uncomfortable for the long haul.

Mines now running a bit ragged... might be time for a new one.