Breeder Upset Me

sibe1

I was just blasted by a "reputable breeder" !  She told me that I should not own huskies because my husband and I work outside the home.  "Huskies need constant attention from their humans" !  I have a very well behaved 3 year old husky and a 12 week old puppy !  The behaved 3 year old didn't just happen, it took hours and hours of work to get him to this point.  I started training the puppy on day one, he can now sit, still learning house training, but is doing much better than a week ago. 

We do work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, the dogs are left by themselves, one in the yard and the puppy in a crate for 2 hours at a time.  I have someone come in and let the puppy out to potty every two hours.  My husband and I are home at lunch for an hour, the dogs are running and playing during that time.  In the morning they play and/or walk for two hours, in the evening it is training time, play time and more walks.  They keep us very busy !

I really don't know why she upset so badly, am I being selfish for having two siberians, is it fair to them?  She would not have let me have one of her pups because we work, I really wasn't looking at her puppies, just started a conversation.  My two came from another breeder. 

I decided to ask the experts on this site what they thought. I really would like your opinions.

Thanks !

Woah, that was a bit harsh.  Whilst it's true that huskies are companion animals and don't like to be left along for long periods of time, there are plenty of us who work the standard 9-5 shift and who also keep both happy and much loved huskies.  It's unrealistic to expect everyone to be around all the time, if you and your dogs are happy then that's what matters most. :)

Ok,, I understand the breeder.. the RSPCA take much the same line, but, consider part time workers... I know this because we were going to try and adopt before we got Noah and Bella.  Leaving behind dogs that would love our home... :( I  adopted Sydney my beloved GSD  when I was at home all day.. but due to circumstance a few years on I became a single mum with three kids and a full time job. Only coming home at lunch with the oldest children coming home at three in the afternoon.  Was Syd distressed did he become a recluse with problems ... no he didn't he adapted.. loved every one and I missed him more than he did me... RIP Syd my best friend who helped me through my sad time... Know you are still watching over us.

I would like to say Bella and Noah are very happy, love us and our family and the way we work our schedule.... Still donate to the RSPCA as they do a good job...

I was just blasted by a "reputable breeder" !  She told me that I should not own huskies because my husband and I work outside the home.  "Huskies need constant attention from their humans" !  I have a very well behaved 3 year old husky and a 12 week old puppy !  The behaved 3 year old didn't just happen, it took hours and hours of work to get him to this point.  I started training the puppy on day one, he can now sit, still learning house training, but is doing much better than a week ago. 

We do work 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, the dogs are left by themselves, one in the yard and the puppy in a crate for 2 hours at a time.  I have someone come in and let the puppy out to potty every two hours.  My husband and I are home at lunch for an hour, the dogs are running and playing during that time.  In the morning they play and/or walk for two hours, in the evening it is training time, play time and more walks.  They keep us very busy !

I really don't know why she upset so badly, am I being selfish for having two siberians, is it fair to them?  She would not have let me have one of her pups because we work, I really wasn't looking at her puppies, just started a conversation.  My two came from another breeder. 

I decided to ask the experts on this site what they thought. I really would like your opinions.

Thanks !

attachicon.gifYotie&Rocky.jpg

I'm going to start by saying I'm not an expert (lol!) But I will ask a couple of questions,

Are your dog's healthy ? Happy ? Loved ? Do they mean the world to you ? Do you do everything you can to make sure they're healthy and happy ?

If you can say yes, then in the immortal words of my 94 yr old grandma, STUFF THE BREEDER !

I try to be ladylike, and delicate, but this sort of thing burns my butt. How dare she or he berate you for working, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, who says they are a reputable breeder? If they were that good, you would have gone to them first, but you didn't, you went to a breeder of superior dogs, with a better understanding of what a dog actually needs, who are decent human beings not a viperous old grinch !

Next time you see them, put your nose in the air and walk away, someone as mean spirited as that doesn't deserve a civil (on your part) conversation.

That is the oddest thing I've ever heard in my whole life. I thought people get their applications denied because they don't work. Job means sufficient income to care for animals! :huh:

Plus, the way she lumps all Huskies into one category: "needs constant attention" annoys me loads. As a breeder, a reputable one, she/he should know how much each individual differs in personality and needs. Diamond is the kind of dog that prefers some alone time, free from any kind of attention. He's one of the few handful we can trust off-leash inside the house (for a maximum of one hour, but that's only because I choose not to trust him too much) and is so sweet he gives Skittles a run for their money. It is not fair to assume all Huskies are the same. Don't they have waiting lists? Can't she/he just go like "oh, this one might be a little too much work for your lifestyle. But that one over there should be okay"?

That is completely ridiculous. I asked my breeder if she had a problem with people who work full time, and her response was "no of course not, people have to work for a living." my question is if this breeder you spoke to won't sell dogs to people who work, then who DOES she sell to? our husky is crated all day while we are at work and he does just fine. when he was a puppy i came home at lunch. i don't have that luxury anymore, as my office is about 35 to 40 minutes away from our house. so he gets exercise before and after work each day. 

I am pretty harsh in my views of those that should and should not own a sibe or any dog really. But the comments from this "reputable breeder" seem ridiculous. You sound like a good owner. Most people work away from home and very few can come back during the day as you can. It just seems very weird that someone could be so rude to you.

I have 3 dogs, one Sibe, one Malamute and one husky cross.  I'm at home with them all day and I can honestly say they are asleep for most of it.  We have chosen for me to stay at home and look after the dogs, yes I do some work from home and we have a lot of land to take care of so I'm not here just for the dogs.  

Saying that I don't like leaving the dogs for more than a couple of hours but that's just me, I know they are fine though my Mal has SA and she's only been with us for 3 months.

The fact is folk have to work! I'm sure in a perfect world we'd all stay home for our dogs but it just isn't possible.  I think the 'breeder' is being pretentious!

i agree with u. i work nights from 7pm to 530am. my wife works from 630am till 3pm. i work nights cause im not a people person. but same as yours my 2 girls sleep all night when the wife sleeps. their up for an hour or so. then i come home and they sleep most if the day when im asleep.

Thank You for all of your responses.  Just to clarify, the "reputable breeder" was not my definition, but came from another breeder who I highly respect !  We were at a gathering and I was introduced to the "reputable breeder" by the breeder I respect, we started chatting and she asked me if I had Siberian huskies, then that lead to the working full time statement.  My two huskies are happy, healthy and our lives revolve around the "boys" !  The puppy (Rocky) and my older husky (Yotie) are becoming fast friends.  One of the reasons we chose to get another husky was for Yotie to have company, but the really big reason is we love the breed and the dogs. !

I will not recommend this person to anyone seeking a dog, I really don't know who gets her dogs ?  I will say this, she is having a very hard time selling her puppies at the moment!  This is not her(  well not HER exactly!)  first litter either, she has been breeding for several years now.  Oh well, I will not have any further contact with her !  And will NOT be recommending her to anyone I know !  I am very sensitive to my dogs needs and wants, and sometimes worry to much about their well being !  I would love to stay home and take them for long walks and play with them, but they EAT ! 

This reminds me of a time, (many years ago), when I first got married and my wife and I went to the local animal rescue centre in the hope of giving a rescue dog a good home.

After looking around the pens we spoke with a member of staff and we then had to endure a very stringent interview and when it came to the section about how long the dog would be left on its own, (both my wife and I were working full time in those days), and we were then told that we were not suitable!

We left the centre shocked, stunned and we felt as if we had committed a mortal sin.

Rightly or wrongly we left that establishment under the impression that they would rather put a dog down rather than take a chance with good people who, unfortunately, have to work.

During the past 20+ years we have never been back to that particular organisation although we have provided safe and happy homes for about 20+ cats and about 10 dogs!