Who Let The Dogs Out?

Martian

We were very, very lucky last Thursday.

Julie let the dogs out for their early morning constitutional, (a routine that has gone on, without incident, for the past seven weeks in our new abode), but moments later she noticed that they had all dissapeared.

To her horror Julie then looked around the corner of the house and down the driveway only to note that one of the drive gates was wide open.

Fortunately I was on leave, last week, and I was working in lounge so I grabbed my shoes and was about to run up the road when one of the near neighbours pulled up outside our house in order to tell us that she had seen our three dogs, (Lysa had remained in our garden), running past her cottage further up the road.

She very kindly offered to drive back onto her lane, (via the opposite end), so that she would head off the dogs if they continued to run down her lane whilst I jumped into my car and started to follow the route they had taken.

Cassie, (our Labradoodle), then reappeared so I had to usher her back into the house before I got back into the car.

I drove along the neighbours lane but there was no sign of either of our Husky's and I was becoming ever more worried.

A further mile down the road, (after driving through pure countryside), I came across three small houses and a lady was standing on her driveway so I stopped to ask if she had seen any dogs running past.

She pointed into the adjoining paddock stating that two dogs ran into the paddock a few moments ago and I then caught a glimpse of Skye, (1 year old chestnut Husky), and I called her to me.

She started to run back to me but then stopped and started running back to the far hedgerow, (I presumed that she was trying to find our other Husky Luna), but there was no sign of her and she then came back to me and I put her onto my lead.

I then started to call Luna but there was no sign of her but I then saw the lady waving, (back on the road), and I ran back to the houses.

The lady had, very kindly, got hold of Luna and put her safely into my car - what a star.

I then put Skye into the car offered my sincere thanks to the lady and took the two girls back home.

We do not know who opened the gate, (or why), but I spent the rest of the day erecting fences to render the driveway and the front of the house inaccessible to all of the dogs and I have also fitted a padlock to the main gates.

Regardless of the fact that the girls would not have got out, (if it wasn't for the gate being opened), we have learned a valuable lesson about complacency and we were so very lucky that this episode didn't end in tears.

I took a bunch of flowers to both the neighbour and to the lady as things may have turned out very differently if it wasn't for their very kind assistance.

So Glad you got them back safe.

As we've found, they are quite good under controlled conditions but once they've had a tiny taste of freedom all that good work

goes out the window and they barely respond other than to play a 5 mile game of chase me until by some miracle they get themselves

cornered so you can finally grab them.

Many thanks for your very kind comments.

Needless to say we are being a tad over cautious, currently, as we had become a little complacent as of late.

Andy's comments are very true as Skye was not interested in the 'outside world' until Luna had taken over to the 'dark side'.

Fortunately the positives, (of living in the countryside), still far outweigh the negatives!

I bet your heart was pounding and so much going through your mind…. What a kind lady to help you.  And thank god you got them all back safely.  

We have a padlock that wraps round the side gate with a combination code lock… Had a bit of an incident when some neighbouring kids left our gate open.  Luckily the dogs were inside as I had the Bunnies out and heard the gate open… Pretty sure I know which kids they are.  But they must of seen me and scarped before I saw them.  My neighbour saw some kids a little earlier playing on the wall outside and thinks it was probably them……   

Anyway I decided that it was time to security up.  Mark was issued with a don't return home without a good padlock and chain.  He's my most obedient pet, the chain wraps round the post about 4 times.  love him...