Mounting/season After Giving Birth ?

sarahjng

Ok, it's been just over four weeks since Freyja had puppies and so far, everything seems to be going great, (apart from their huge appetite, her mega huge appetite, and her growing reluctance to feed, their teeth are SHARP !)

Anyway, over the last few days bear has become increasingly interested in mounting her again, she's really not interested and made that clear lol. Is this normal ? He's also cut down on the amount he's eating, she and we have warned him off repeatedly. I've looked around the net and most sites seem to agree she won't go into season for months yet, could it be her hormone levels changing are triggering this ?

Hidden

Yes it is VERY normal and you NEED to keep them separated or you will end up with another unwanted breeding- It is not uncommon for a bitch to have an immediate season or split season once she starts to dry up.  I've heard it called a 'litter heat' in the past.

Hidden

My vet said he had a female pt who cycled 3 weeks after giving birth, the fastest he's ever seen a bitch go back into season- Typically they fall back into 'schedule' if they were fairly regular before the breeding...but there is always that A-typical scenario and this very well could be that case.  I would not risk it one bit.  

Yes it is VERY normal and you NEED to keep them separated or you will end up with another unwanted breeding- It is not uncommon for a bitch to have an immediate season or split season once she starts to dry up.  I've heard it called a 'litter heat' in the past.

CRAP !! I never heard of this, and the vet certainly didn't mention it. Someone's about to learn to love his alone time !