Keep Finding Puncture Wounds

Clare70

Wanted to pick your brains re Maiya, she's not a husky but a Malamute and lives with one and a half huskies.

Since we've had our dog run completed I've noticed she gets quite a few puncture wounds, mostly around her face and lately a couple on her feet.  They aren't very deep, more like a graze and very small but definately the skin has been broken as I can see blood on her white fur.

I know it's Snow who's causing it as they play very rough when they are in the run, to be honest I'm surprised they haven't caused more damage to each other.  Now I know huskies play rough but I am worried they will cause serious injury to one another.  I always thought Maiya was the bully but it looks as though Snow is the pyrana in this household.

Should I limit their 'play time' or just let them get on with it? Not sure how you tell them to play nicely, will it result in muzzles, I just don't want one of them to get their eye caught.

Not sure really...Bindi & Alpha can play rough...Alpha loves to get hold of Bindi's tail and pull it to stop her running fast...Bindi loves you get hold of Alpha's back leg and pul that from underneath him to stop him running or pulling her tail but never any puncture wounds...

That's the thing there is no aggression in their play but Snow is still in puppy mode and being half GSD is quite snap happy. They will take it in turns to chase each other and I guess Snow catches her with his teeth.  Over the weekend she ended up with a wound just above her eye, just under her nose and last night I found a wound on her paw.  She doesn't seem bothered by it and she's very good with Snowy, think she mothers him :)

just clean up the wound and keep an eye for infection. If the area is somewhere the dog can't lick, you can spray a little antiseptic too if it is minor cut. but obviously not on the face. Charly gets nipped on his flappy ears occasionally, and we always use the antiseptic spray for the first & second days just to prevent infection.

I'm surprised Maiya doesn't yelp when she gets a nip. We actively encourage ours to play (especially Granite who, even though is over 2, has obviously never learned or been allowed to play) and even to "attack" one another. But if it goes OTT and there's any real growling or yelps we calm things down - ours know "Gently" and "Nicely" and fosters gradually learn what the words mean. And if things need further calming it's a stern "Enough"

Noah and Bella can get really rough sometimes…. there is a point where you can see  it is becoming a little more intense as Mark/Markulous says.. a sharp "enough" is all that is needed to calm them down…  

What is interesting though Bella normally waits for someone to be out there with her before she starts (and she does) the play/fight with Noah.  Almost like she needs the assurance that someone will step in to calm things down if it starts turning into a bar room brawl….   I like her sense of self preservation… 

That's the strange thing, when Harry our husky is playing with them he yelps, especially when on the rare occasion he plays with Maiya, I put it down to him being a big girl :)

But when Snow and Maiya are playing rough it does get quite noisey, but tails are wagging and it never ends in a fight, they just play hard!  We use the words 'gently' this is with food and play and when someone comes into the house.  We also bellow 'ENOUGH' when we've had enough of their antics :)

I don't know why she doesn't yelp but Snow is often hanging off her face and snapping at her feet when she's running, maybe she just doesn't feel it 

if they do not have resource guarding problem, you can also make a timeout by calling them over and give them a treat that can last a few moments. then they can resume playing with different momentum. For Charly and Molly I just sprinkle some very small training treats on the floor and they will just stop the action and go search for the treat.