Need Help With My Husky....

Soldierhard89

Hello,

I got my 2 year old Siberian Husky, Bruno, back in June from our local SPCA and everything has been fine up to about 2 weeks ago. He is now becoming very aggressive if I go near my couch or to plug in my cellphone or grab anything near my entertainment center... he has gotten me once or twice with bites that have actually hurt and broke skin. He goes outside atleat 3-4hrs a day and runs around and he has toys and everything. he only gets locked up whenever no one is home ... Otherwise he is out all the time. He is only aggressive if i go near the one specific spot on my couch and will snarl and growl at me only and rarely at my fiancee. I am starting to get worried and trying to figure out why he is doing this. I love him to pieces like he does us but he has his moments that makes us question if we should get rid of him. We only know of a 8- year old man that had him before us. 

Please help with some advice

Adam

Hi Adam

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like something that needs professional assessment. I would be looking into a good behaviourist that can come around to your place and work out what is going on. I am sure that you will be able to fix this but I would try and get onto someone fast.

It also might be worth getting a check-up at the vet, perhaps ask about getting a thyroid test as well as this is known to cause a normally good dog to have bouts of aggression.

Best of luck with this.

Sounds like he's guarding "his" spot. Although it sounds wrong, don't tell him off for doing it (it usually makes the problem worse) but rather come at it from the other direction, with praise and treats. So, talk to him and give him a treat at the edge of "his" zone and praise him when he takes it. Then edge slightly closer and repeat. If he gets mean about it, back off but give him the treat anyway. He needs to learn that he can share "his" space without the threat hanging over his head that you might take it away from him (that is his fear: that he's going to lose out). I guess it's a trust thing - it's not that he mistrusts you, it's that he doesn't know that he can trust you over this - and you need to teach in, as gently as possible, that all is well. Good luck!

:ditto:  it sounds like he could be guarding his spot to me too.  Although i wouldn't rule out any other possibilities just yet either. 

Thanks for the thyroid info Jase, I didn't know that.  Certainly something to consider as it's always hard to tell with aggression what is caused by behaviour and what is actually symptomatic of an underlying health condition. 

I think the thyroid is a long shot, but I do know that most of the good behaviourists ask potential clients to get a full medical and blood panels including thyroid before they start working on the problems. Basically so they can rule out medical reasons for apparent aggressive episodes.

Marks advice sounds very good.

Also if Adam could give a bit more detail about the lead-up to the issues and what is happening with the change of meal times it may help others in giving more advice. 

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa. - possessiveness is not good. Does he have his own den space? Get him to retreat back in there with a few treats thrown in to entice him. Then praise for 'good boy!... go to bed'...

I'd keep the door shut and not let him in or even on the couch..and if he growls I would yell at him and make him leave MY space!

Never had this ever because my pets would only ever be 'invited' up and booted off with a slap or a cushion if they jumped up unbidden.

You need to make the biggest noise and act very fast at ANY hint of aggression. They hate being ignored. (EQUUS by Monty Roberts says this works on all animals that herd or pack).

When his head drops, he looks away, licks his lips or goes into submissive position...then call and make him sit. Reward with treat and praise but keep them sitting or let them lie down on floor.

When you feel ok about it..get up and go to door then come back...ANY hint of a snarl or growl retaliate very loud and fast and strong and get them back to den or outside the room.

Keep repeating until YOU know THEY know their place in your home.

www.successdogs.com

Positive reward training but never let a dog frighten you in your home...A big pet that rules you is not a good pet. And not safe around visitors or kids in your home....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think the thyroid is a long shot, but I do know that most of the good behaviourists ask potential clients to get a full medical and blood panels including thyroid before they start working on the problems. Basically so they can rule out medical reasons for apparent aggressive episodes.

Marks advice sounds very good.

Also if Adam could give a bit more detail about the lead-up to the issues and what is happening with the change of meal times it may help others in giving more advice.

its only againt me not my fiancee.. we have never hit him or anything and just in the past 2 weeks hes getting very agressive towards me or when im around.... Im with him 80% of the time due to being unemployed. And the wire issue is only with my stuff

Whoa. - possessiveness is not good. Does he have his own den space? Get him to retreat back in there with a few treats thrown in to entice him. Then praise for 'good boy!... go to bed'...

I'd keep the door shut and not let him in or even on the couch..and if he growls I would yell at him and make him leave MY space!

Never had this ever because my pets would only ever be 'invited' up and booted off with a slap or a cushion if they jumped up unbidden.

You need to make the biggest noise and act very fast at ANY hint of aggression. They hate being ignored. (EQUUS by Monty Roberts says this works on all animals that herd or pack).

When his head drops, he looks away, licks his lips or goes into submissive position...then call and make him sit. Reward with treat and praise but keep him sitting or let them lie down on floor.

When you feel ok about it..get up and go to door then come back...ANY hint of a snarl or growl ... retaliate very loud and fast and strong and get them back to den or outside the room.

If you give in your pet WILL rule and this is not good with visitors or kids in your home when visiting.

Keep repeating until YOU know THEY know their place in your home.

Positive reward for good behaviour...ignore them when naughty however encourage good rapport and response...

www.successdogs.com...

When you first got him did you get any information about his previous owner ? Home situation, why he was given up, that sort of thing ?.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming them, but it could be that he did have his own `spot` on their sofa, that no one else ever sat in. It's been a few months, he feels more settled and secure and that he can now claim `his` spot.

Teaching him to share his space, as well as allowing him to share yours ( only when invited) might be the way to go.

As for the wires thing, I hate to ask, but were there any physical signs of abuse ? Wires, cables, brooms, belts, even coat hangers have all been used to hurt dogs all over the world. You wouldn't be the first owner to suffer for someone else being abusive. We got our girl when she was only 10 or 11 weeks, there were no physical injuries, but she's still terrified of laud bangs and sometimes flinches if you reach out to pet her. I don't know what happened to her before us all we could do is work on getting her to trust us, we're getting there..... slowly.

Hello,

I got my 2 year old Siberian Husky, Bruno, back in June from our local SPCA and everything has been fine up to about 2 weeks ago. He is now becoming very aggressive if I go near my couch or to plug in my cellphone or grab anything near my entertainment center... he has gotten me once or twice with bites that have actually hurt and broke skin. He goes outside atleat 3-4hrs a day and runs around and he has toys and everything. he only gets locked up whenever no one is home ... Otherwise he is out all the time. He is only aggressive if i go near the one specific spot on my couch and will snarl and growl at me only and rarely at my fiancee. I am starting to get worried and trying to figure out why he is doing this. I love him to pieces like he does us but he has his moments that makes us question if we should get rid of him. We only know of a 8- year old man that had him before us.

Please help with some advice

Adam

It IS hard esp when you have no history of what they've experienced prior to you!

My Eski is nearly eight weeks now - came Sep 12 - with us; she was 2.7 yrs old.

First thing I had with her was immediate 'possession' of me and a 'look' at my Chester that made him back off fast.

This was when her guardian/owner (who took over Eski briefly.. was WITH me; we were first walking round neutral ground outside first on a large green, then indoors, after I had taken her on her lead through all the rooms so she'd know what was inside each....)

Owner/guardian's Nan - the original owner) went into hospital last June 2013... for a hip op;

she subsequently died after a fall post-op when coming back to the ward... (court case - porter & hospital found guilty of undue care/attention/safety)...

And, horrendous of course for the whole family, let alone poor Eski who must have realised something horrid had happened and, quite possibly been left out of things even though sensing shock & unhappiness around her and not seeing her owner again!)

So...when Eski first crowded me to stop Chester coming near me I firmly but quietly told her to sit! & stay!...she immediately backed off half cringing (!?)

I rewarded her with praise and a treat (full pockets for this especially).

Her guardian said she was a 'girly dog for a woman'....and was sitting two seats away. My hubby was close by.

Chester then came straight to me for a fuss and pat and obvious reassurance...

I watched Eski and she KNEW not to move...her body language was a bit tense.

Having reassured Chester he was still loved he relaxed; I said quietly to him 'away...lie down' and he went off to settle by the open door of sitting room.

Eski immediately came up to me but I gently re-established her place... down.

I sensed some issues but with the good responses so far already I decided I WOULD take her; her guardian had brought her all the way up from Swansea to 'vet' me and had said she really hoped Eski would be welcomed in...so it was.

I paid the £150 although the woman wasn't now going to take it but I insisted - fuel and a present for her 4 yr old daughter who would no doubt miss Eski...

I said I would and have sent pictures & updates of Eski almost every week as promised.

I had to wait three weeks for vet's records and am STILL waiting for microchip paperwork because Eski is not formally transferred by this to me yet! - my vet cannot log chip data into my name!! Have asked and asked....

What with Eski five weeks post season & two weeks post spey ...my Chester was over all very excited.

Yes .. the dominance in Eski (apparently large dog of previously three others I found out after!), possessiveness over everything..All speaks of loss, trauma and insecurity...

We have had quite a few scraps very sudden... esp over food and some toys...they each have a Kong - love these!

We'd both yell NO! and immediately submission with Eski, cowed right down - Chester looking quite upset but never going back for more...

Then she'd settle and peace reigned. They played A LOT together but Chester kept trying to hump her from any end or side!! and I decided before the end of that first day he was going to the vet!

He was just a week shy of two years.

Rang vet that first day - booked for Monday 15th Sep.

We've had about six scraps...- a few chunks of fur out...she was moulting real bad...

Chester had a tooth mark on ear edge - all ok now; and after two weeks post neuter of him...they were MUCH better and really good now..No sex ....just daft teenage Lovey Dovey behaviour!

I do still separate them for peace and rest...or muzzle the pair of them as they are constantly licking, mouthing, chewing (sometimes pain fully!) each other and Eski's fur gets so wet! - I don't want a repeat of wet eczema....

What I have noticed is ... Eski is more deferential now to Chester and gives way through the flap to him.

Little things ... but also she knows NOT to approach his bowl (even if empty!) just as he knows not to approach hers.

I lift both bowls when they've finished completely.

They will stay in crate together when needed (scared of dogs visitors) however she prefers to sleep outside at night...

This was also a short-lived issue when she took over his crate;

All Chester would do was howl and cry/growl...and I would entice her out to let him in! She'd scare him out given the chance....

Eventually it's sort of half and half however, Chester sleeps in there 80% of the night.

I do not have room for another crate or even a bigger one...and she has a bed made beside the crate but seems to prefer the big mat by the back door in kitchen. She had a crate but not in 2nd home... no room.

I'm happy they've made huge inroads in living together. And they enjoy walking out together too.

They respect big time my hubby who has been doing some treat/training with them and we both follow same positive reward training.

He's far tougher but not always here as I am all day...and when he gives an order that Chester knows, Eski learns to follow suit!

Happy days ahead..love my furrkids - a first with me with Huskies - they are like no other dog I've owned or grown up with..

Boxers, Wheadon (rescued off the street/stray), Westies....bred for five years; and several hundred in my childhood/teens abroad all rescued, renourished and re homed - 14 dogs - (dashchunds dalmations incl) on the farm permanently...with orangutans otters anteaters lemurs pony horse 5000 chickens baby crocs clouded leopards wild birds - heron..African grey.. Mynah bird... parrots...cocktateel... baby bats.. mouse deer.. turkeys.. pigs...and more!

NEVER give in... chase them loudly away from any possessive issue threatening you..

Praise and reward for good behaviour.

Establish asap who is/are the bosses and you both need to work together on this.

You/your partner/spouse should protect and defend each other and if ANY aggressive behaviour is witnessed by partner/yourself, step in loud and clear to halt this and ban the pet from social company with both of you..

that is the biggest 'no want' as they are pack animals and find protection in a pack together...

it's the 'top dog syndrome' and no pet should EVER over rule any human...incl a child!

Be firm; be fair; be consistent and reassure; praise and reward for every good bit...discourage any unacceptable action by repelling, even growling in low tone 'Aarrgh!' ... ignoring or isolating them for a few minutes then, ... when behaviour is good and respect returns...Reward!!

Consistency is the key.

I agree with what Mark said about guarding.  Are there any dog trainers you could take him to in the area? Some formal boundaries and training might help, as it sounds like he is testing you and telling you that he is boss, which isn't good.  I would suggest seeing if you can sign him up for classes or something and keep working with him.