New Husky Parents :)

Chrystleface

Hello everyone!

My husband and I recently rescued a beautiful husky girl!

I was really hesitant about getting a husky because I've had friends with huskies that were extremely destructive. I remember going over to my best friends house after about an hour at the gym only to find out her two huskies ate her nice leather couch!

We had gone to the local animal shelter and adopted a shepard mix,, whose we named Finn. He's amazing I can't imagine why anyone else would abandon him, he's house trained, knows basic commands, very well socialized, and can even walk on a leash. When the shelter went to pick him up he was a stray, let to fend for himself and was in the shelter for about two months. I was worried going to the vet, I had a hard time sleeping due to worrying that he'd have something serious. Luckily he was really healthy! Just a little cold that was taken care of in no time. :)

My husband and I really wanted two dogs. We kept in mind the shelter, but we just didn't see any that were a good match for us. Being a military family there are certain breeds we can't own so unfortunately that limited a lot of the dogs in the shelter.

Which lead me to Craigslist and the news paper. I found an ad on Craigslist for a husky, and from the pictures I really felt something in my heart for her. Talking to owner about her she seemed really well trained and fairly submissive. Which seemed a good match for our lazy shepard. We drove two hours to see her, they wanted 300 for her but she was "up to date" on her shots. Though they didn't have any shot records and did not know the vet clinic they took her to.

She was owned by I assume was a man, that had to get rid of her due to movies. Then this couple bought her and had her for 3 weeks before they decided they didn't have time for her. When we went to look at her I fell in love. It seemed like a really scary situation as her temperament could have really awful. I say we rescued her solely because she was stained from staying in a kennel in her own waste, which we are still trying to slowly whiten.

We never kennel her. We have a large backyard and when we are away for a long time we open the garage back door and let her sleep in there and have access to the backyard. She sleeps on our bed and only seemed to have house training issues the first few days. She doesn't display destructive behavior. She's truly an amazing dog. She gets along with her "brother" and they are almost inseparable! But as my first husky I'm sure I still have alot of surprises and things to learn which is why I wanted to join this forum. :)

Welcome. Kudos for rescuing. Getting a puppy is a neat thing to do, but rescuing is an awesome thing to do. So thank you for taking the high road. You are going to have some challenges possibly, so when you do, we are here to help. Huskies are a breed that are so different from all other breeds. Once you understand what makes them tick, the light will come on and then you will truly appreciate this wonderful breed.

:hello:  and welcome….  Well done for giving this little girl the chance she deserves…..   every Husky has a personality and it will unfold.. and you will wonder why you never had one before… Yes they can be destructive…. Yes they should really only be let of leash in enclosed spaces.. yes they are stubborn… but when they look you in the eye with that dopey smile which seems to say, "Yup I did that but you gotta love me cause I love you" and put their head in your lap… you forgive them everything…   

Ha ha, but theres the trap.. clever beasties…. if they think they can get away with it they will, so, training is the way forward.  Kind firm training…. loads of advice on here…. oh and a heap of crazy people to answer any questions you can't find...

Good luck with your new best friend… 

• 2 weeks later...