Playing Rough

sarahjng

Husky play rough, I know this, I guess I never appreciated how rough or how early it starts. I know pups will fight, but sometimes they really hurt each other, at the moment I'm breaking it up, but is that the right thing to do ? Should I just let them fight it out ? Freyja has never stepped in to stop it, and trust me I've waited.

Am I doing more harm than good, wrecking the whole infant socialization thing by interfering, or am I right that rough play is one thing, three on one something else !

Thats a really good question. 

I really don't know the answer, my gut tells me that they should be okay to sort it out and mum would probably step in if needed. My thoughts are, that you separating them it isn't needed and it is part of their learning. But I could of course be wrong in this.

I hope someone with breeding experience can help you more. Do you have any contact with a breeder who can advise you in this? 

Hi Sarah,

I sent your question to my breeder and she came back with this. I hope it helps and cannot speak highly enough of her, she is wonderful.

I never stop rough play when it's just play but when the pups are hurting each other that is not good ideally puppies learn bite inhibition through playing with litter mates, when a pup squeals in pain that should stop rough play. If mum isn't doing anything yes if it were me I would stop it & I would separate the pup for a very short time out, it has to be short as they have a very short attention span no more than say 10 seconds . Put the pup back with the others and give the pup a chance to behave. If this is done consistently the pup should very soon realise what behaviour you're expecting and this should sort out the issue. I actually had to separate Ronin & Koda for a very short time & they very quickly realised not to do what they were doing to the other pups. The should be no hitting as punishment time away from littermates is the best way to do it I think. Others may have other ideas but positive reinforcement is the only way, she must be there to reward the play when the pups are playing nice. I also never let 2 or more pups gang up on one pup I also stepped in there as well. She also needs to start teaching those puppies bite inhibition NOW .

If my lot are in the paddock I leave them to play rough, note they are always watched when outside. I only tell them enough if one of them yelps or they are running towards me as I really don't fancy being stampeeded by 3 dogs.

They usually sort things out for themselves, though Snow who is the youngest 15 months, still doesn't quite get it.

Inside they are not allowed to play rough, I can't afford the breakages :)

Hi Sarah,

I sent your question to my breeder and she came back with this. I hope it helps and cannot speak highly enough of her, she is wonderful.

I never stop rough play when it's just play but when the pups are hurting each other that is not good ideally puppies learn bite inhibition through playing with litter mates, when a pup squeals in pain that should stop rough play. If mum isn't doing anything yes if it were me I would stop it & I would separate the pup for a very short time out, it has to be short as they have a very short attention span no more than say 10 seconds . Put the pup back with the others and give the pup a chance to behave. If this is done consistently the pup should very soon realise what behaviour you're expecting and this should sort out the issue. I actually had to separate Ronin & Koda for a very short time & they very quickly realised not to do what they were doing to the other pups. The should be no hitting as punishment time away from littermates is the best way to do it I think. Others may have other ideas but positive reinforcement is the only way, she must be there to reward the play when the pups are playing nice. I also never let 2 or more pups gang up on one pup I also stepped in there as well. She also needs to start teaching those puppies bite inhibition NOW .

Jase you are a star thank you so much, it sounds like I'm doing it right !. It has set my mind at ease a bit because freyja isn't really stepping in at all, I think that might have something to do with the fact that even though they are getting solid food, everytime she stands still the puppies surround her like piranhas around an injured cow !

Jase you are a star thank you so much, it sounds like I'm doing it right !. It has set my mind at ease a bit because freyja isn't really stepping in at all, I think that might have something to do with the fact that even though they are getting solid food, everytime she stands still the puppies surround her like piranhas around an injured cow !

No probs, and it goes to show that my initial gut feeling on it was wrong  :)

This may sound silly, but I'm treating the puppies the same way I would treat a group of kids, two argue, let them until it gets nasty verbally, physical or another kid joins in. It's the only way I can do it.

Lol years of chaperoning school trips, brownies, scouts etc have given me the ability to zero in on any brewing fight within 50 feet, usually before the teacher clocks it which annoyed me no end.

Sarah how old are the puppies now? Also have you noticed bullying behavior in particular pup? When we fostered 11 pups, mama Sky never stepped in too. I think for the same reason, puppies bite on her nipples while drinking milk, there were bite marks!!

Anyway we noticed 2 'bullies' and we put the puppies 1-1 with mama and immediately saw the result. 1-1 session mama can focus on correcting without fearing the rest of the pups 'attack' her. She would put her mouth in pup's neck for mili seconds then run away. Like reinitiate play for the pup to learn to play nice.

We didn't separate pups when they play rough but all of the pups were equally 'feisty'.. And sometimes they gang up against the bully so it was not too much of worry.