I Got An Interview!

mydiamond

Could it be my first ever real, legit, paid job?? Will I get the job?? What do you say in a job interview? What do you wear? Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh. It's on Wednesday I only have three days to practice answering questions and sound smart doing so. Ooooh goooosh...

Seven job applications, three resume edits, one trip to the career advising center, seven whole weeks. F.i.n.a.l.l.y!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are customer facing, so smart... Not OTT but well presented... Trouser/skirt and shirt.  Basic things... You have to think how would I like to see me at an interview if I was the interviewer..   Working with students.. which you are.... you need to show you understand the balance.  between the two.. but above all be your self.. if you try to be someone you think they want you will both be disappointed....

I have worked in a position  helping long termed unemployed, return to work after illness  etc .. back into work.  Was about 10 years ago though.. sorry only brief... but hope it helps a little. 

Sell yourself by highlighting your skills and experience that you consider to be relevant to the position you are applying for and also highlight your interpersonal skills, (always essential for any customer facing environments), and that is an excellent opportunity to bring your Husky into the conversation, (you can mention the forum and all the like minded friends you have made, etc).

Otherwise, just turn up neat and tidy, think positive and be yourself.

Good luck.

Liv, you will do fine. Just be yourself, be chipper, positive, but not over confident, and make sure to get rid of your gum before you go to the interview,

UPDATE

Well, today's the day. I just got back from my interview. I'm supposed to be doing Math homework right now, but I left my sticky notes upstairs. I can't solve the last three problems without a real paper and a real pen in hand, so I decided to tell you guys how my interview went before retrieving my sticky notes.

First off, I decided to wear a dress. It's a good thing the temperature rose a little today, because I'd have frozen solid if we're still hovering around the 4-6C mark :( I don't have money to buy a real wear-to-work dress, so I got stuck with this batik dress I brought from Indonesia. After adding a fancy scarf ($20!!) and a thin belt, I do think it looks formal enough :) I'm also wearing tall boots that match the scarf, but the mirror couldn't show that.

post-2850-0-31794700-1413415844_thumb.jp

The dress in full view

post-2850-0-92411700-1413415931_thumb.jp

I arrived 16 minutes early, which is a little later than what I expected. But they're filming the new Batman on-campus, so several access points got blocked :( not good when you walk on foot everywhere. Anyways, I'd say it didn't start off that well. My brain short-circuited and I couldn't stop saying "thank you". The guy said, "maybe we should sit over there," and I said "thank you" :facepalm: but then we got down to the Q&A part and the nervousness sorta wore off. We talked about my volunteer job at my aunt's computer course, my MUN club at high school, and how do I work in a team. I don't know how my answers sound in his ears but I'm pretty happy with the chunks of experience I'm able to share :) he said he's gonna get back to me by next Wednesday. I'm pretty much nervous again now :( fingers crossed!