Rehoming 2 Huskies

chelle

Hi All 

I am new here and have been reading through lots of old posts with much interest.

Myself and my partner are picking up 2 huskies tomorrow that we are re-homing, they are 2 and 3 years old.  One male and one female and have always lived together. 

I've been trying to do as much research as possible and just wondered if anyone had any good tips on settling them into a new home with as little distress as possible?? 

Thanks in advance

Chelle 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest....Patience Patience and just a bit more patience....the advantage you do have is that they have always lived together....and maybe before you bring them home a nice long walk...

Welcome to the forum, and good on you for giving a home to these two. :)

I second what Robke has said, a tired husky is a happy husky ...and owner. Also get some of the food they have been on so there won't be any stress with that part of the change, you can decide in a couple of weeks if you want to change the diet. Get some yummy treats so you can reward good behaviour and going to the potty outside etc. Use lots of pea sized treats during this time. You can take out some of daily the food intake to use as treats as well. 

Have fun with your new fur-family  :up:

Hello and welcome :)

Rescuing is very rewarding but can be hard work especially with huskies, No matter how much research and planning they will surprise you, mostly good I might add :)

Do you have any other pets or children?  If so I would suggest they meet your new dogs somewhere neutral before bring the new huskies home.

My 3 are all rescues and 2 of them were adult dogs when they first came here and had 'accidents' on the first day, so don't be surprised. Try not to make a deal out of it and make sure to clean the area thoroughly to avoid it becoming a toilet spot.

Lots of luck, can't wait to see some pics :)

Welcome aboard.

The most important issues have already been covered but I will just re-emphasise the importance of exercise as Husky's have lots of energy and they love to run and play.

It is far better for them to expend said energy whilst exercising otherwise they will expend it in other directions, (digging, disruptive behaviour, etc).

Our pack consists of four large rescue dogs, (including two Husky's), so we really have our work cut out - and so will you until you have established a suitable routine that your entire family can follow.

Really pleased to know that there are others out there who are prepared to give rescued dogs a second chance - well done.

Despite all the training you will still encounter some 'not so good' days where your new companions will seem set on contradicting everything you ask of them but don't worry as this is absolutely normal!

I am sure that your research has already made you aware of the fact that Husky's are not quite the same as the other dog breeds but this is one of the primary reasons why everybody on the forum loves Husky's

Mine have all been out for a 4 mile run this evening and they are all snoozing quietly in their own special 'hidey holes' - whoops there goes Husky rule number 9!!

Take care, keep us updated and post lots of pictures!

Awwwww they are gorgeous, Pulling on the lead excessively could be because they are really excited, new surroundings… or they have more than likely not been lead trained properly… Lots of threads and people to point you in the right direction…. we use a halti/head collar with safety connection to the collar and that works well for us but its not for every one.  The biggest thing is the repetitive training…. we use close for heel etc, but thats our way…. 

It will take a little time but you will get there….

good luck, they are lovely and lucky to have found a home with you…  :D