Indis Weight Yo-Yoing

LauraG89

Hi all, been a long time since I've been on here, but I need some advice for indi. Since I rehomed indi in September 2012 her weight has yo-yoed, she is currently 19.30kilos and yesterday she was spayed, the vet advised me that although she looks lean on the outside, (I'm sure she looks and feels underweight) she is fatty inside, is there anything I can do to increase her weight whilst keeping her healthy. She is on royal canine dry food at the minute.. Any advice would be appreciated :-)

16-23kg is the breed standard according to the Kennel club website for females so she is within the normal limits. After spaying girls are prone to a little weight gain anyway so you might find that this is something that occurs naturally over the next few months.

I wouldn't like to say increase the food intake too much as that can cause the runs if over feeding. Maybe switching to a food with a higher protein percentage will help but I would be hesitant if Indi has a sensitive stomach to chop and change food too much as that can also create havoc.

We actually used to feed Bear royal canin but switched to wainwrights and she's doing well....a little too well! We had to put her on the low fat version as she got a bit chubby, lol.

just wondering if you feed the same amount during winter months and summer months? For Charly I tend to up his meals during winter months as he is short hair and we actually walk more, compared to summer months he just doesn't want to walk much when it gets too hot... I think like suggested above, you'd want to be cautious if you choose to increase, just do it in small increment and observe how she is doing. It is easier to use percentage to see how much you add, like 100grams might not seems a lot but if it is 20% more it is actually a lot, you know what I mean?

Her food allowance is what she is allowed, but she is eating far less than that, even with 3 walks a day. Two of them being 1 1/2 hours long and the later one only 30 mins, tried other things in her food to entice her to eat, but she doesn't seem bothered

If she's happy and healthy then I wouldn't worry.  They are such a nightmare where food is concerned.

Harry is 2 years and 9 months and he will eat one day and starve himself the next.  He had me up at 2.45am the other night because he decided to be sick with bile.

If her poo is ok and she is lively and happy then I'd keep things as they are.  You may find now it's colder that she will eat a little more but don't let it take over your life, they willl not starve!

Clare, Charly is just like Harry. And the worst thing is once he started to vomit bile, it goes on his head that his stomach is not feeling good, and he needs to eat grass, whole day! He would salivating so much it is such a pain to watch. I give him some renin (heartburn) tablet and it helps a bit. With him I learnt that it is better to let him eat less, as when he is hungry he is less stubborn/picky. I've to hand feed him or else he would just stare at the food or walk away, but at least he eats when hand fed.. I've accepted the fact that I've to hand feed him for all his life, and that he doesn't need that much because he is just low energy basset :-)

Laura, my advise for picky eater is try not to change brands, or add on gravy or yummy sauce, just to entice her to eat, it will only raise the bar for her demanding behaviour. If she doesn't eat, cut back on treats, Clare is right, they won't starve themselves :-)

I find when they are ignoring food to give a little natural yoghurt, Harry will never turn his nose up at this, just a couple of spoon fulls.  This seems to settle his stomach and less likely to vomit bile.

You have to remember that in the wild they would only eat probably 3-4 times a week and though it's hard for us to get our head round it they will not starve themselves.

As long as they are lively don't worry.  It used to be a big concern for me but after a year of tring to get him to eat oil on food, ketch up on food, then him throwing up it's just not worth it,

It's all part of being a husky parent :)