My Husky Loves Biting -- Help?

Shansbo

Hello, 

I love my puppy but he loves biting everything.  He is 8 weeks and I guess that's normal.  He bites EVERYTHING!! Especially me.  When we are playing I put my hands and fingers in his mouth.  If it hurts I will yelp and he loosens up "sometimes."  Sometimes I think he finds it funny because he will bite harder and it looks like he is laughing.  When I am praising him and rubbing him and speaking softly to him, he gently bites my fingers and hands.  He is so gentle at that time.  This dog is awfully smart.  He loves to bite, he is eating my slippers, T-shirt, he is even biting his wire crate....good luck with that! I want it to subside before he gets older.  He is 8 weeks. I don't want him biting other people...that is absolutely not acceptable.

Lastly, I read that putting peanut butter or other foods on your finger will help in subsiding his need bite.  Instead he will begin to lick your hands and fingers.....Any thoughts on how to stop or lessen the biting?

Ice used to do that a lot and i mean a lot!   When I tried to ignore him  by turning away from him he even used to bite my butt!  Nothing was sacred from those tiny needle-like gnashers!  lol.

In the end I used to say a firm no and then walk away which for Ice worked well.   I  like Nix's suggestion of yelping too.  :D

i can't give suggestions as our 55 lb 8 month old "puppy" still mouths us and it hurts now that his jaws are so strong and his adult molars are in. all i can say is be diligent to correct it. we didn't nip it in the bud when he was little which is why we now have this problem. it's annoying to even try to pet him unless he's half asleep because he just tries to bite my hand the whole time. 

I think they bite more when they are taken away from the litter before 10 weeks, they learn alot from their mum and siblings.  Saying that when they bite its a good idea to redirect the biting using toys.  In a months time he will be teething and they bite even more and it really hurts.  We used to give ours raw bones and this really helped.  I found when my boys came in from school the dogs would use them as a means of chewing, so the bones would come out and this would help.  

If you are persistant, I.e yelp, a firm no, redirect to toys etc as suggested above, it will pass. They like to bite/chew it is only natural. But puppy proofing your house help. Molly never chewed up anything except a few notepads because that's all she had access to. And remember not to pull back even if it hurts, that will draw blood.

Hand feeding helps I supposed same theory as peanut butter.

Molly bit a lot as puppy but she learnt quick, I let her nibble on my hand but stopped whenever she bit too hard, and redirect to toys. Now at 6.5months old she knows to use her incisors to nip (no pain) me if we play rough, and this is a dog who uses her premolars to shear skin off her meaty bones.

Thanks you all, your input really helps.  Today he was biting my hand and fingers and I was able to stroke his coat.  It did not hurt, thank goodness.  Sometimes I give him toys and he just wants to play....but until he gets the rest of his shots I'm not taking him around other animals.  He loves attention.  It is amazing how much attention he needs/wants.  Sometimes I feel bad not playing with him, but I can not sit here and play with him all day.  Fortunately, last night he finally slept through the night and did not yelp.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I love my puppy but he loves biting everything.  He is 8 weeks and I guess that's normal.  He bites EVERYTHING!! Especially me.  When we are playing I put my hands and fingers in his mouth.  If it hurts I will yelp and he loosens up "sometimes."  Sometimes I think he finds it funny because he will bite harder and it looks like he is laughing.  When I am praising him and rubbing him and speaking softly to him, he gently bites my fingers and hands.  He is so gentle at that time.  This dog is awfully smart.  He loves to bite, he is eating my slippers, T-shirt, he is even biting his wire crate....good luck with that! I want it to subside before he gets older.  He is 8 weeks. I don't want him biting other people...that is absolutely not acceptable.

Lastly, I read that putting peanut butter or other foods on your finger will help in subsiding his need bite.  Instead he will begin to lick your hands and fingers.....Any thoughts on how to stop or lessen the biting?

ahah I feel you :P , me and my gf we have never been able to pet him without being bite. He bites a lot and very painful and sometimes with blood. :P welcome in the club

I would if biting continues start using time out you can use anything but (if you use a crate) use his/hers crate...mine are now to the stage when they do something they know is not allowed (no biting here anymore) we only has to say hall and the stop and if I say "hall go" they go there out of their own accord...