Bone/treat Possessiveness Help - Is This The Husky In Her?

Stella&Squid

Hi there,

I hope it is okay that I joined your forum, despite the fact that Stella is a mix between a husky and shepherd. I've got a problem with her behaviour though.  Here is a little bit of background information about my situation and relationship with Stella.

I have always been afraid of huskies and shepherds, that is, until I met Stella. I suppose it is because she is a mix and doesn't really look completely like either breed. I met Stella in August 2014 and she is currently around a year old. She belonged to my boyfriend's roommate. I'm not entirely sure about her training techniques because I was not around when Stella was a puppy. However, she does know sit, stay, lay down, come, shake-a-paw and other paw. I started to walk Stella frequently to get her moving, as I didn't think she really got to experience a lot. She was peeing in the house, and chewing up a lot of things. I would walk Stella nearly three times a day, and this didn't include when the owner would walk her. Her owner however, left. He left Stella too, and didn't give anyone any forewarning. We haven't heard from him in a month, and despite seeing our messages about her, no replies.  I am graduating in May, and would be looking to purchase my first dog (a labrador, as I am addicted to the breed). However, because I adore Stella, I couldn't resist letting her go to the SPCA or a new home that may not give her the training and love she deserved. 

Stella has come a long way. With the assistance of the other boys in the house, who love her but are not in the place to own a dog, we walk Stella nearly 6 times a days. On my days off, Stella and I go to our off-leash dog walking park (not fenced, more like massive woods with trails). We swim, play fetch, meet other puppies and run. She's learning to heel and socializing quite well. She's been perfect and she hasn't been peeing. Although, I left for a week due to family emergency and she was apparently very destructive that week. She's such a sweet, gentle and docile dog. I love her energy, and I love how hyper she is. I'm a farm girl, a hiker, and a big outdoors bum. I need a dog that can keep up with me and withstand camping. 

NOW THE PROBLEM: The other day, I took Stella to the pet store. The works were blown away at how gentle she took treats, accepted petting and how quiet she was. I bought her a knuckle bone (or similar) to walk home with. Stella has never showed possessiveness over toys, or her food dish (granted, she is a nibbler, very picky for food). However, while walking home, she dropped her bone. I went to grab it from her and she snarled at me. Teeth bared, and tried to snap at me. I was so shocked, and so scared. Like I mentioned earlier, dogs *can* make me nervous, although I wouldn't say I am scared of them. I didn't try again until I got home, where I made my boyfriend do it. She dropped the bone. We gave it back. She dropped it again (albeit, she doesn't know drop it or "off" quite yet). We gave it back. He didn't believe me that she was aggressive toward me. i told him to let her have it and try again. He did, and this time she growled and snapped at him when he put his hands near her. I even got my foot too close and she did it. I'M SO SHOCKED. I'm a bit scared to go near her now... 

How the heck do you train a dog to stop doing that?!?!?

I was recommended to put her on a leash, and play with the bone in front of her. Put it on the ground, and if she goes near it, I tell her "off." I was told to keep doing this, and then give it to her. Ask her to drop it, and go to take it. If she growls, yell at her, and spray her with 1/4 vinegar and the rest water. Is this your suggestion to? We tried this technique, she seemed okay, until we let her have the bone on her own for a few minutes. She's shown signs of aggressiveness when picking up random things on the street too. 

post-12514-0-27850300-1414626380_thumb.j

First and foremost, EVERYONE is welcome here :) if you love the breed, why not join? 

Now down to the problem. I have several things I'd like to highlight

1) You need to encounter your fear. Stella senses that fear and she's gonna use that to her advantage. I know, it's easier said than done. *But* you gotta find a way, somehow, to gain more confidence around her and the bone. It's crazy how much level of confidence can make a difference. In fact, reading your post, I think you might as well have seen the magic of confidence with your boyfriend.

2) Going off my first point, remember that dogs don't talk. Growling and snarling are vocalizations, a.k.a ways of communicating. That's just her saying "Heeeey! MY bone! Don't take it!". Therefore, it is not recommended to reprimand her for growling.

3) Resource guarding is a very common issue, and definitely treatable. I've never dealt with it myself personally but I know a lot of people on here have successfully encountered resource guarding. Just wait for them to show up :) x

The behaviour she's displayed is pretty normal for any dog, and why wouldn't it be.  You give her a nice juicy bone and then want to take it from her, she's not going to be very happy about that.  For example someone gives you a box of chocolates and whilst you are eating them takes them away, well you are going to complain and be unhappy about it.

The fact you initially went to grab the bone (honest thing to do) alerted Stella and she was basically saying 'its mine leave off'.  It's good she warned you rather than just biting you, so its better not to scold her for growling, as she is communicationg with you.

Since then you seem to have been testing her with the bone, almost wanting a reaction, to be honest I don't think this is really fair and probably confusing for her.  If I give my lot a bone and then want to take it back (if going out because I won't leave them with bones unattended) I will trade the bone with a treat, either a piece of cheese or ham, they love this.  I will get their attention and show them the treat, then we do a slow exchange.  This guarantees they won't get tetchy over me taking the bone and I am confidant they aren't going to get grumpy, so we're all happy :)

Thank you for the replies! I'm not sure I made it clear enough in my earlier message (hehe, I'm sorry!), I've had earlier dogs just growl to me but Stella actually went to bite me and I missed her by dropping my shoulder. She again went to bite my foot when she was under the table with the bone. The reason I'm concerned with letting her continue or just doing a trade off is because she is possessive like this over things she finds on the street. I will think she is sniffing and next thing I know she is eating something - but I can't get near her without all these warning signs and if I did approach her, she would bite me. If it were an emergency, and it was something like say, rat poison, I would need to get in her mouth and quick. This is also concerning given that Stella will be near children in her life. I can regulate bone intake, but don't trust this possessiveness to not move past that. I just really don't want anyone to get hurt and I think it has the ability to escalate to that. 

My girl does this and I'm working on it. She's actually grabbed and nipped my arm with her teeth a few times. I try and ignore the behaviour but it's hard. With taking things off her on the streets, again its difficult. One night my idiot tried to eat a tin foil wrapper, looked like it was from a pie or something. She was drooling all over the place, it must have been hurting her mouth but she refused to drop it. I had to force her mouth open and pull it out before she swallowed it. Then we went straight home. She tried to snap at me etc, but I knew what I had to do and just did it.

Biting is also a common case in resource guarding. If you work on her right now with the trading method like Clare suggested, one day she'd learn to let you take anything because she knows you're not trying to steal from her. Please remember that she is not trying to hurt you. She reacts because you're taking (stealing, in her eyes) what is valuable to her.

It's also worth remembering that she's only been with you a few months and as her last owner disappeared on her she's probably feeling a little unsure of who to trust.

I would make sure she is always on lead (I think you've said you allow her off lead) this way you can pull her away from any potential 'prey' on the ground.  My dogs love to lick cow poo, we have a lot of it around here, so I'm constantly having to say leave!  When they leave it I give them lots of praise.  It means our walks take longer but I see it as investing time into their training.

If you are concerned for your safety when she has a bone/treat then I would make sure she doesn't have these until you are more confidant with her and how she will behave.  Also have you tried hand feeding her?  This is a good way to build up trust and then she will know you are the one person that feeds her and that she can trust you.

Agree with Clare I think the trust need to be built stronger. She probably doesn't see you as her leader yet, so maybe that's the area to work on. Make her sit before feeding her or if you are confident hand feed her. I am against giving then taking back then giving again strategy, I think it is too much disturbing for a dog trying to eat. To build trust it has to be positive interference, like give, add more, add even more, and leave. It takes time for a dog to trust you enough with her food. Also make her sit and wait (even just 5 secs) for everything, like put on the collar or leash, open/close the door etc.

When I volunteered at shelter I always have to remind myself although the dogs recognized me, they don't see me as their leader, I was merely a dog walker/cleaner so I was careful when handling them especially when food/treat is involved.

Hi there

I started a simple 'trick' but it works exceptionally well in this matter for you.

Get a quiet session..In kitchen...

Sit on chair. Have some treats in pocket (better out of sight).

Call your pet and get them to sit or lie down fairly near you.

Place treat on floor right by foot. Say nothing.

If they move towards it, immediately put your foot over it.

Say nothing...

Remove foot to expose treat...but cover if they move towards it again.

Stay silent.

WHEN your dog looks at YOU ..Praise and reward.

Move treat around but keep near your foot.

Every time your pet LOOKS at you and ignores the treat...Reward.

This gets them to focus on YOU and not distractions.

You can say 'watch me' with two fingers pointing to your own eyes. When they look at you..Reward & praise!

This goes a long way to when you go outside and you have them looking at you and not outside distractions... they look at you and start concentrating on what you want them to do...helps also to stop them pulling on the leash.

If they aren't watching...call them and turn round to opposite direction walking a bit... with 'watch me' and treat handy...Reward immediately and again when they focus on you...keep practising this with really encouraging tone of voice and praise.

The indoor trick is great to reinforce...you'll eventually have them staring at you and the big test is throwing a load down on the floor and saying 'watch me!' You can say leave/off too ...and wait...and then pick the treats all up..But reward them warmly with the last one and lots of fuss.

www.successdogs.com..

Brilliant tips for all training. Jean Cote will also answer your questions. He loves to hear of your successes too!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Time, love, perseverance and the ability to be more stubborn than a mule will all help you. Our boy went through a stage where he wouldn't let anyone touch his food, funnily enough it coincided with us getting a second dog (duh) but we worked on it every day, only food from my hand, learning the leave command (both them and I lol) Bear will still pick up food from the street, we have a kfc nearby and there always seem to chicken bits around, but now he will either drop it or I simply shove my hand in and grab it, gross but necessary. But I no longer fear he will bite me. ( although there have been times he's clamped his jaw shut and run in circles to avoid it !)