How To Help A Grieving Dog

Susan

Well after Saskia taking her trip over rainbow bridge Wolf has been lost without her. I think he is picking up on our grief too.

Has anyone else gone through this situation ? We are sticking to the same routine with a little alteration here and there and we only get sleep if he comes and sleeps on the bedroom floor. We are not considering another dog as this has been heart breaking for us but want to Help Wolf through this difficult time.

So sorry Sue, I wish I knew what to suggest but all I can think to say is that he's grieving too and that having your love and support as always will help him as he finds his way forwards. Sorry I'm not much help. Xxx

:huskyhugs:

So sorry for your lost. If Wolf is young maybe arrange play date a couple of times throughout the week to get his mind occupied, and when he is tired maybe he will rest more and grieve less?

Some of the members have pets other than dogs I wonder if it might be an idea to get a low maintenance pet, not cats/birds I supposed due to the prey drive. Would that distract him in a good way?

Wolf was with Saskia for 9 years i think it was?

All i can suggest is ignore him when he's crying - really hard I know, when we got Kimba you know how hard it was when we crate trained him, hearing a puppy cry is heartbreaking enough let along when it's a dog you've had for years :(

When he isn't crying give him fusses and long walks to tire him maybe.  If you want to borrow Kimba let me know......or if you want us to walk him when we take ours out at night i don't mind xxxx

Thanks everyone , will bare that in mind Sarah, he has settled a bit more tonight, he starts again if one of us goes out, I think he thinks we are not coming back.

Thanks Jen , he is lucky to have 3 other playmates with my daughter-in-law .

Hoping all the walks will calm him eventually but it is still early days so gonna take each day as it comes and get him a bed for our room so we at least get some sleep.

On a plus side he has eaten a little tonight

So sorry to hear this, such a sad time for all….. My friends lost their dog Jack leaving Asher behind….. she was really depressed…. missing Jack…. This was about the first time we met them all and Noah and Bella have become fast friends with Asher.  Lisa said Asher's mood lifted so much being with them and they are now firm play mate friends…  I'm not saying this will be an instant resolution but being with playmate friends will help over time…. X