Looking To Make A Shortlist For Needed Husky Items. Also Wanted Some Advice About Diet

Mike_1809

Hi all. We're getting our first Husky Pup on Sunday, and I'm just looking for some advice on what to buy from Pets At Home over the weekend. Whilst I've thoroughly researched, it can be so easy to forget something important with the amount needed to buy. I'm generally looking for people to suggest things, even recommend certain products over others, to ensure we have the best for him.

Another question I wanted to ask was about his diet: At the moment he is currently on Baker's complete, and I'm of course eventually going to introduce Raw food into his diet. In the future, I want him to be on Kibble in the mornings, and raw food in the evenings. But for the time being, I'm wanting to switch his food to Orijen. I've had great results with the brand as it is a variety of real meats with an 80:20 ratio of meat to vegetables. Also there is no added fillers. What is the best way to switch him from Baker's complete to Orijen, with the smoothest transition? 

A final question: How many weeks/months would you say a Husky stops being a Puppy, and becomes an Adult dog? I ask this as Orijen have Puppy and Adult food in their range. Judging off the ingredients, they're more or less the exact same. Do you think the branding is purely based on the size of the Kibble? The puppy food being much smaller to help smaller dogs to chew and swallow? Orijen also do a Fish brand, which is basically the same quality, just containing fish species instead of land meat - hense the name. Would it be good to have variety? Alternating days, etc.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope to get to know people better.

All the best,

Mike

Keep him on the bakers whilst he's settling in , puppies can have the runs when they first come home so switching food won't help , once he is settled switch it gradually , mostly his bakers with some of the new food for a few days , then take more bakers away and add more new for a few more days if he gets the runs again reduce the new food a tiny bit then keep going ,

I don't think they ever stop being puppies but with regards to food it's usually around 12months most bags should say an age range on them

Buy a mikki undercoat rake

A dog crate if you're crate training ( highly recommend)

Erm I don't personally trust their leads etc but on a puppy whilst learning to get used to a collar and lead their stuff should be fine

Thanks for that. I've actually found a Orijen Puppy food for Large Breed dogs. Am I right in saying that fully grown male Huskies tend to be around 25-30kg? 

And looking at crates, I've found a double doored X-Large caged crate at Pets at Home. There's a picture of a Husky in it, so I'm gathering that will probably be the best size?

Haha. I think we'll be getting 2 crates. Purely for the part of transporting him, when we hopefully start taking him to clubs and walks when he's older. 

When would you recommend to start walking him? We're obviously getting him vaccinated first, which I believe there's usually a few weeks inbetween. Or does the age not matter as long as they're vaccinated, and capable of walking?

Like you say they have to be vaccinated and our vet said leave it a week after that... then the rule seems to be 5 mins for every month old .... slowly building up to full adult walks.  They are so funny on there first walk there all whats that, that and that... Try to keep interaction with other dogs at a min unless you know them well as they can be a bit intimidated....   

Actually i can't beleive I just typed that poor Howler has to come home to 3 monsters..... :rolleyes:   I will prob stay with him tonight just to make sure he is ok...

Make sure you get a Furminator. It's great, especially when they are blowing their coat. Your second BESTFRIEND is a Kong. It's great entertainment when you have to be away for a while. Stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it. They love it! [emoji252]

I've heard bad things about the furminator due to the blade in it cutting the guard hairs , I use a undercoat rake on mine and it works wonders specially on my long coated sibe

Make sure you get a Furminator. It's great, especially when they are blowing their coat. Your second BESTFRIEND is a Kong. It's great entertainment when you have to be away for a while. Stuff it with peanut butter and freeze it. They love it! [emoji252]

I would not recommend a furminator at all, it has a blade and will cut guard hair despite what the advertising will tell you, at the very least it can shred and damage the guard hair which is equally as bad. 

I agree about the kong though  :)

I will let you know. :D  awwww still waiting though.....  Just read up a bit more on the raw feed thread... lots of info about pups and raw feed and introduction to..

Howler already knows what raw smells like, and will jump like a kangaroo if you have a chicken in your hand ! Just watch out for your fingers lol

In my opinion the very best thing you can invest in is training. Puppy school, followed by help from a professional trainer will pay you back ten-fold  :)

The only things you really need for a husky is a good diet, a quality lead and collar, patience  and a lots of positive reinforcement training. ;)

It's probably a bit late as you're bringing your little one home today, but here's a guide from when I had my first Husky pup Skye just over 7 months ago....

* Chose the tough toys from pets at home, the others won't last five minutes if yours is anything like mine. In particular the snake, Skye loves it (it's old and has been washed a thousand times but she refuses to share it with Holly)

* Zip ties.....to prevent attempted escape from the crate

* Blankets, not one of those padded beds, again a bed lasted about three days here lol

* Old towels, not puppy pads, Skye ripped them to bits

* Anti gorge bowl, slows down eating and prevents bloating, hiccups, trumps

* I am a huge advocate of Taste of The Wild, it's expensive but it has nothing bad in it

* Home made treats (or ones that are gluten free) again better for sensitive tummys

* Boiled water, not direct from the tap

* Chicken wings, give them raw (mine have them frozen to make them actually eat them and not swallow them) these are really good for helping with runny bottoms

* We trained Skye on a canny collar and then moved her to a Julius K9 harness, I really don't like a collar and lead set up as I think it's too harsh on the throat, especially as they will and never tire of doing so, but that's just my personal opinion.

* Worming, I use drontal, the little flavoured bone shaped ones

* Flea treatment, I use Advocate

The biggest thing to say though......enjoy your lovely puppy :0)