Bear Has A Hotspot (I Think)

sarahjng

Ok, so last night I was brushing bear and there was some sticky stuff behind his ear, I parted the fur and it smelt a bit and looked a little sore so I cleaned it with warm water and hibiscrub, had another look this morning, gooey again and he wasn't as happy to be messed about with but I cleaned it anyway (with promises of peanut butter to follow) did some research, figured it was a hotspot and went out to buy baby scissors to trim him with. Gooey again and really not interested in being touched there, even growled a little. We're seeing the vet Tom, just wondering if there's anything I can do tonight to make it feel a bit better. He's not scratching at it so I don't think it's particularly itchy.

Any advice or ideas more than welcome.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide (available from the chemist) and swab the area, this will dry it out and kill any nasties, this weak solution won't cause discomfort. Then dab the area with Betadine solution. 

This is a method recommended by a corgi breeder with over 30 years experience with hot spots - Corgis are prone to them like huskies. She said this is a quicker and better solution than steroids and creams. When asked about trimming or shaving, she said that she normally doesn't need to do it.

If you have someone to help you, have them feed little treats while you do it, or just have everything ready and do treats with one hand and swab with the other. 

Of course see the vet if you are worried. 

Best of luck with it.

Unfortunately they can be caused by many things. An allergy, a flea bite, any irritation that causes the dog to scratch and lick the area. The moisture makes it harder to heal by itself which increases the dogs desire to lick and scratch and it develops into a painful hot spot. A moist area behind the ears is also possible even though the dog can't lick it.

The best cure is obviously prevention, whether this be through making sure the immune system functions as good as possible - 80% of the dogs immune system is controlled by the gut function, which is why I always bang on about probiotics  :D Supplements like turmeric are also good for metabolism and cleaning the blood as is coconut oil.

Good regular grooming also keeps the coat in top condition so air can pass through easily. This doesn't mean constant bathing as this robs the skin of protective oils. 

The best thing to do when you see a small irritation is to hit is with a bit of drying antiseptic like Betadine or one of those drying antiseptic powders. And as I mentioned before Hydrogen Peroxide is good for drying out the area. 

I have to wonder, Friday night Bear rolled in Fox poo, most of it around side of his face/neck, right where he's sore now. Bathed him immediately, HAD to !. Bathed him again on Saturday with special shampoo as ordinary stuff just did not get rid of the smell. 48 hours later he's sore, I guess I should have put it together before.

Oh Goddess !!

What was a small patch last night has spread half way round his neck !. It's truly horrible. The vet just kept shaving and shaving and the more he did the more damage we could see. He looks like one of those warning photo's the RSPCA put out. I want to cry I feel so guilty, I should have pushed to get him seen, but.... anyway he's got antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, medicated shampoo a painkilling jab and hibiscrub. And even after an hour of being muzzled and clipped he still wanted love from the temp vet.(ours is in Miami !) He's a star, a half shaved star, but still a star.

get well soon Bear. :D

ice had a few hot spots when he was little.  He had the constant runs at the time so I think his immune system was down and he got the occasional hot spot.  They were pretty mild and I just kept them clean and dabbed on a little bit of sudocream on to the area.  Soon healed up.  Hope it does for you Bear too. xxx

Vet reckons it's a severe hotspot caused by a reaction to the Fox poo. Maybe he had a cut or scratch, it got under the skin, and here we are.

He's had his bath, meds and enough peanut butter and treats to choke a hog and is now comfy next to me having TLC

• 2 weeks later...

No it's not mange or mites, as I said he's been seen by the vet, got meds, and been checked since, I think the vet would have noticed and mentioned mange, especially as he knew I had another dog and a puppy in the house.

He is so improved its crazy (piccy) even has fur growing back.

post-10300-0-65704200-1416875549_thumb.j