Meet Korra

RecklessVirgo25

My beautiful Korra is here!! Well worth the wait. She's so sweet and so well behaved (for now)

I'm so happy she's here :)

Any tips on stopping the nibbling (biting) early on. I've got her some chew toys and she loves them but when we're playing with her she does bite sometimes, sometimes really hard. Just a puppy thing I know but will she eventually stop?

As far as everything else she's the perfect pup, doesn't cry and loves to cuddle

post-12443-14158037163256_thumb.jpg

post-12443-14158037325519_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome to H-O :wave: congratulations on your new addition!

We have loads of threads regarding bite inhibition :) you can have a look around, or create a new one yourself. But basically there are many different methods of bite inhibition, and you got to pick only one. This is not something they will grow out of without intervention and strict training. I've met two-year old dogs that are still mouthy because they've never been trained :shrug: Glad to hear you already have a lot of chew toys. That's a starting point right there, especially when she entered teething stage. Now I know I'm not being super helpful right now, but if I start regurgitating every bite inhibition method this forum has taught me I'm gonna end up writing a whole novel :o So yeah, all ramblings aside, welcome on board :D x

Hello :)  Wow she is so cute :)

As for the biting and whilst it doesn't seem so bad right now, it's best to train them out of it. My boy was 18 months when we rescued him and at first he didn't chew on us but once he settled in it started. He wasn't so bad with me but my two teenage sons got the brunt of it. We used bones as a distraction, or time out. 

Once we got a second dog it stopped completely and our second dog has never chewed on us.  It's just their way of playing and as they are pack animals they like to play with someone, at that time my sons were that someone :)

One concern: Her biting has started to become aggressive, not sure if it's just purely playful or not but it's starting to worry me. She'll bite me "playfully" but when I tell her "No!" She barks and jumps back aggressively. Maybe she thinks I'm playing with her but it's getting worse now she'll run up to my legs and bite me or my pants, and she'll bite at me when I try to take something from her that she shouldn't have, growl at me etc.

Just looking for any and all advice on stop this, worried that as she gets bigger she may be become more and more aggressive towards me. And it's mostly towards me, although she does nip/bite my boyfriend and our friends. We've tried the ignoring her method, doesn't work, seems to upset her more. The yelling ouch method, doesn't work...maybe she just doesn't like me very much

One concern: Her biting has started to become aggressive, not sure if it's just purely playful or not but it's starting to worry me. She'll bite me "playfully" but when I tell her "No!" She barks and jumps back aggressively. Maybe she thinks I'm playing with her but it's getting worse now she'll run up to my legs and bite me or my pants, and she'll bite at me when I try to take something from her that she shouldn't have, growl at me etc.

Just looking for any and all advice on stop this, worried that as she gets bigger she may be become more and more aggressive towards me. And it's mostly towards me, although she does nip/bite my boyfriend and our friends. We've tried the ignoring her method, doesn't work, seems to upset her more. The yelling ouch method, doesn't work...maybe she just doesn't like me very much

Sounds like over-excitement to me. That, plus a bit of resource guarding.

EDIT: OK sorry I had to go grab dinner! Now I'm back, so... yeah. From your description, I really can't picture anything else beside a very excited, untrained puppy. You're right when you say Korra thinks this is all fun and games to her. In that case, try to ignore her instead of using any verbal commands. I find that some dogs are bratty enough to value attention from their humans be it in a positive or negative light :lol: whenever she starts nipping, get up and just leave the room. Make it clear that biting = no playtime. Another option: do you still have those chew toys? This is probably the perfect time to let her use them. If I may recommend brands, get a Kong. They might be expensive (alright, they ARE expensive) but they really are reliable, durable little guys. Anyways, when she starts biting you, give her the Kong instead. Freeze the Kong to help soothe her itching gum (believe it or not that's why she keeps on biting). Rinse and repeat. Bite inhibition is not something your dog will master in a month or two. This is going to be a long, long journey. Put your seat belt on and be very, very patient. Now on to resource guarding.

... uh, right. I'm not good at resource guarding tips. But I can assure you that you're not alone. Many, many, many other folks have encountered and overcame this problem with their Huskies. It's very common in puppies, seeing as they've been competing with their litter mates for resources (Mama's milk, for example) since birth. Have a look around, I'm sure there have been past threads with great responses in this topic :) hope I helped x

Thank you for your advice :) @mydiamond We have chew toys for her and I do have a small kong (not the name brand) we freeze it and she loves as well as all of her other toys she sleeps with most of them. Just when we're playing I guess she does just get overexcited and starts biting and then doesn't stop in which case we try ignoring her all together until she calms down.

We also replace our hands and feet with her toys and that seems to work most of the time. We are going to enroll her in some puppy training classes when she's old enough. Until then we'll just take all the advice we can get and stay firm but positive. We love her so much already and just want to make sure we properly train her.