Potential Future Husky Owner Has A Few Questions

RamiAgonistes

Hi guys.  I'm from NYC and thinking about getting a husky for my family.  It's my wife and I plus our two kids (5 & 2) and a cat.  I know that having a cat is not really idea for a husky but since I'm planning on getting a very young husky puppy I'm hoping that she will accept the cat as part of the pack.  Anyway, I have a few different questions that I hope some experienced husky owners can answer.

1. For those of you have or have had both a male and female husky can you describe the difference in temperament (if any?)

2. Can you describe how their temperament changed (specify M or F) changed after getting them spayed or neutered?

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it?

4. Most importantly, how does your husky interact with young children?

Thanks to any and all replies.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do lots of research... not because there's a problem, but because you'll be prepared for owning a husky and ultimately decide if a husky is right for you. Here's some general things i think are important:

Steer clear of pet shops. Find a breeder and make a visit. Go to the AKC and find approved breeders.

Subnotes:

- decide which sex you wantahead of time. Either can be great dogs, it's your knowledge and training that will decide ultimately. If you can't commit to good training, consistency, and attention/ exercise, reevaluate.

- picking a dog should be 50/50 imho. I knew i wanted a male, as i had another intact male at home and didn't want any breeding going on. I had the breeder bring out ONLY the males of the prospective litter. I took my son with me also. Of all the pups we handled, only one seemed comfortable with our handling, eventually, after los of kisses, falling asleep in my arms.

- make a second visit, and assure the pup is still the same regarding personality. I like to say that our boy picked us too.

- ask the breeder view they feed ( and ask them to show you. If they pile a whole ration in one bowl for the whole litter, take note that food guarding may already have become a problem.

- aso for records. Good record show that a) the breeder takes good care of animals, and B) that your future pup is protected

- ask if there are any warranties and what your responsibilities are regarding said warranties.

- don't rush or be rushed. You're selecting a family member and it should never be rushed.

For cats

- huskies have a natural prey drive. I can only speak for my own experience. We had a cat at time. We got our boy as a pup. He has never attempted to hurt or cat but shows a lot of interest. He will catch and kill rabbits and squirrels. Due to that, he is never left unattended while with the cat. If we leave, he goes into his crate. Prevention gives along way.

As with children, thus is where you decide if your children are ready, not the other way around. Again, from experience. My son was 8, but has special needs. One day, he went to grab or pup while they happily played chase thru the house. He missed, and accidentally grabbed his tail. In doing so, he pulled out some of Lakotas hair. To this day, he loves being brushed, but will move anytime you do his tail. He's not mean about it, he just hides it from us. But ultimately, he remembers and that's what you'll be worrying about. I could imagine much worse trauma causing aggressive feedback, so truly evaluate.

My boy is a big lover, but unless you want a 50lb lap dog, discourage people from picking them up as puppies. Lol mine does it and we're ok with it. Ppl constantly ignored me when i said no don't pick him up, so it's delightful reminding them of their error when they complain on visits.

Vacuum

Plan on replacing this every couple years.

How that helps some! Gl

Hi guys.  I'm from NYC and thinking about getting a husky for my family.  It's my wife and I plus our two kids (5 & 2) and a cat.  I know that having a cat is not really idea for a husky but since I'm planning on getting a very young husky puppy I'm hoping that she will accept the cat as part of the pack.  Anyway, I have a few different questions that I hope some experienced husky owners can answer.

1. For those of you have or have had both a male and female husky can you describe the difference in temperament (if any?)

I've had three females and one male.  Two of the females were quite crazy and super energetic, the third was very sweet but we didn't have her long as she had a congenital birth defect.  My male puppy is way more mellow (comparitvely mind you) although he is also more vocal and "talks" a lot more.

2. Can you describe how their temperament changed (specify M or F) changed after getting them spayed or neutered?

Yuki (female) - not a lot of change.  From crazy to still crazy. 

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it?

We have four cats.  Yuki chased them all over, never tried to hurt them on purpose but her big heavy paws and claws could easily cause some damage.  Eventually, over time, they started to all get along much better and one of our cats became best friends with Yuki and followed her everywhere.   Left Yuki unattended with the cats all the time and never had an issue.  Our current pups currently love to chase the cats all over the place but don't intentionally try to hurt them.  The cats hate the pups with a passion but can usually easily get away and I suspect they will develop at least a "cohabitation" bond at some point.

4. Most importantly, how does your husky interact with young children?

My huskies have all always been fantastic with children and love the kind of love children give in return.  You just got to make sure your husky has manners and doesn't immediately attempt to jump on (and thus knock down) small children.

Thanks to any and all replies.

Guys thanks so much for the replies. They are very insightful. Can you guys tell me what kind of activities you do with your SHs to relieve them of their energy. I had the idea of making my kids Radio Flyer cart able to connect to a harness to satisfy the need to pull. I dont know how easy it would be to make but its just an idea. Please let me know what you guys do and for how long a day

post-6001-0-51689900-1415371983.jpg TO post-6001-0-88788300-1415681092.png

good for you doing research you got some great answers there...

with pulling please wait untill 18 months old to do some serious pulling as this could do some serious damage to the pups bones...

mental training will help a lot with energy levels you can try handtarget training for example...here is some more info on that https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/teaching-your-dog-hand-target

Oh, I'd hold off on the Radio Flyer idea.  More likely to scare the dog.  Also, as Rob stated, pulling should be avoided until at least 18 months of age.  There are bone plates in the hips and shoulders that are not fully developed until about that age.  Too much pulling or too heavy of pulling can cause permanent damage to those plates.  Mental skills will tire them out, especially when a pup.  Don't over do it though, as Huskies become easily bored if the training drags on or becomes too repetitive, so you need to mix it up a bit. Interacting with them is a great way to get them introduced into their new environment.

I don't have much to add, but first welcome :)

There are many activities you can do with your husky, but as it was mentioned wait until 18 months to do any serious running or pulling.  Other ideas are a springer attachment for a bike, and the dog can run alongside, plus normal walks, and mental stimulation.

I don't think the sex matters very much, I have all males though.  After neutering I did not notice much of a difference at all in energy levels, but mine were neutered young (4 mos), while some vets will wait until a year.  As for young children, mine are pretty well behaved but always supervise them, since when they get bigger they may knock a small child over.

With cats, can't advise specifically, but huskies have high prey drives.  I know people that have had cats the dogs life and came home and found the cat dead.  It's not really something you can train out of a dog, but each dog is different.  I would never allow them unsupervised together IMHO.

And I would highly recommend formal training classes.  Huskies are very independent and can be difficult to train, so early consistent training is key.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

We have a male and a female in our house, and there is a HUGE difference between them. My boy will jump around like a lunatic during playtime, but understands that sometimes he needs to settle. My husband's girl however, is a diva, a diva who loves the sound of her own bark. She will argue with our boy, me, the pups, the wind, I have even caught her barking at the TV.

Neither of them has been for that `special` trip to the vets yet, (hence the puppies lol) but that's on the to do list. Will see if there's any changes.

I did notice one very big change, when we first got our boy he ate dog food, and he was very hyperactive, even for a husky. After alot of reading and some fantastic advice on here we switched to a raw diet. It took three days and it was like having a different dog in the house, calmed right down.

We have a male and a female in our house, and there is a HUGE difference between them. My boy will jump around like a lunatic during playtime, but understands that sometimes he needs to settle. My husband's girl however, is a diva, a diva who loves the sound of her own bark. She will argue with our boy, me, the pups, the wind, I have even caught her barking at the TV.

Neither of them has been for that `special` trip to the vets yet, (hence the puppies lol) but that's on the to do list. Will see if there's any changes.

I did notice one very big change, when we first got our boy he ate dog food, and he was very hyperactive, even for a husky. After alot of reading and some fantastic advice on here we switched to a raw diet. It took three days and it was like having a different dog in the house, calmed right down.

Hey Sarah,

Thanks a lot for the reply!  That hit upon two important questions I had (one that I haven't even posted yet but meant to.)  Based on what I have read the male SH seem to be a little more aggressive and hyperactive than the females and also tend to question your dominance more than their female counterparts.  I'm sure everyone has different experiences though but it seems that there is probably some truth in that.

DIET.  Yeah, that's a pretty important topic that I forgot to talk about.  Can you elaborate on this RAW DIET?  I remember going to PETCO and they had a small refrigerated area for what I believe was classified as "raw diet" food.  If memory serves me correctly it seemed pretty expensive.  Can you guys chime in on what exactly is a RAW DIET and where you purchase it from and also in your own opinions (know sarah's already) is there any significant difference you notice in your SH between the dry kibble and fresh/Raw Diet?  Does anyone just feed their SH "human food?" Basically whatever you're having for B/L/D you give you're dog too?  With some exceptions of course but I think you know what I mean.

1. For those of you have or have had both a male and female husky can you describe the difference in temperament (if any?) Depends on the individual. 

2. Can you describe how their temperament changed (specify M or F) changed after getting them spayed or neutered? The temperament did not change.

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it? No, however it does depend on your dog, my girl wouldn't harm my cats at all, she even sleeps with them.

4. Most importantly, how does your husky interact with young children? My husky is amazing with my daughter, she wasn't raised with her as we got Zarly 2 years before my daughter was born.

Go to puppy pre school it is fantastic even continue on and go to obedience, some huskies can be trained to be off lead however it does depend on your dog, my girl 5yr old next month has been let off lead all her life, she has re call and an emergency re call which has never failed, but they say..never say never! 

My girl acts like she isn't a husky..except for when she goes woo woo wooooo! 

:hello: and   :welcome:

Nothing to add really, other than we have a cat and Noah has a great respect for the feline.  He learnt as a pup that Ben is part of the family, saying that we kept a watchful eye on them and I will never 100% trust Noah with ben.

Children I would always be there and never leave them alone until you are a 100% sure that they can be trusted  not to pull their fur jump on them and they can learn the signals of when the dog does not want to play or go to sleep and then wait some more.  Puppies learn very quickly and if the child is not supervised  and hurts pup this will have a big impact.  Pups learn quicker than children..  So I would crate train but remember children are very adept at opening cupboards gates etc so you will need to lock it.

If you do decide to bring a pup home the bond that can be built up between child and dog is a wonderful thing to see.   

I see that the crate will be a very important tool in training and in also separating the dog from the cat when we have to leave the house.  What are some tricks to make your husky not think of the crate as a punishment, such as when you leave the house and need to have him/her separated from your cat?

I see that the crate will be a very important tool in training and in also separating the dog from the cat when we have to leave the house.  What are some tricks to make your husky not think of the crate as a punishment, such as when you leave the house and need to have him/her separated from your cat?

Everybody has their own tried and true methods...I think one of the best is to acclimate your puppy to the crate as a "good place to go" prior to confining your puppy in it for long stretches.

With Sushi and Mochi, we had the crate out the entire first day in our living room with the pups...we kept it open, filled it with blankets and toys and let them sniff it out.  After an hour or so, we got some training treats...placed a few in the crate, shut the door and clicked our training "clicker" a couple of times.  They could smell the treats and wanted in and after a bit, we opened the door, let them in, closed the door and did a couple more clicks.  We did this over and over the first evening.  After a bit, you can try to extend the amount of time they are in the crate, even after they eat a treat.  They may whine a bit but that's ok.

Next day...well, we can't both sit around at home forever with the pups so we bring them to the crate, use the clicker, give them some treats in the crate and leave for work or errands.  Couple hours later (obviously they aren't going to be able to go long in the crate as young puppies), we let them out.  In the evening when both home, we repeated night one with treats in the crate.

The key here is repetition and perseverence - trust me when I say it is a LOT OF WORK to do things correctly.  But the work you put in to make the crate a "good place" as opposed to a "jail" has to be done at a very early stage.  Once they start to view the crate as a jail you are going to have a really, really hard time ever trying to convince them it is a good place to go - I know from experience with my first husky, Yuki.  If you do it right, you can eventually ease off the treats and clicks and they will simply understand the crate is a nice place to rest or when you have to leave or go to sleep, they understand it is simply the place they go to sleep as well.  When I bring Sushi and Mochi over by the crate at night or when leaving for work, they go in on their own accord.  SUCCESS!

P.S. - By no means are my little fur babies perfect with this.  For example, if I had to have somebody come over to the house to do some work and needed to help or be involved and had to have the puppies "out of the way" - they may go in to the crate on their own accord and I may even give them "special" treats to keep them busy for a bit but if they finish those and continue to hear me in another room or hear a lot of activity, they definitely will get worked up and start howling to be let out.  So in that regard, I never use the crate in this manner (for extended periods of confinement with activity going on around them)...other may have more success than me but it goes back to the idea of the crate as a jail.  For my pups, the crate is a resting place.  If they need to be confined for long periods with activity going on around them...well, I find it better to put a gate up and keep them in a certain room or area of the house or one of my wife or I will take them out for a walk or in certain cases, we will take them to puppy daycare if we really can't be bothered.

Hey Sarah,

Thanks a lot for the reply!  That hit upon two important questions I had (one that I haven't even posted yet but meant to.)  Based on what I have read the male SH seem to be a little more aggressive and hyperactive than the females and also tend to question your dominance more than their female counterparts.  I'm sure everyone has different experiences though but it seems that there is probably some truth in that.

DIET.  Yeah, that's a pretty important topic that I forgot to talk about.  Can you elaborate on this RAW DIET?  I remember going to PETCO and they had a small refrigerated area for what I believe was classified as "raw diet" food.  If memory serves me correctly it seemed pretty expensive.  Can you guys chime in on what exactly is a RAW DIET and where you purchase it from and also in your own opinions (know sarah's already) is there any significant difference you notice in your SH between the dry kibble and fresh/Raw Diet?  Does anyone just feed their SH "human food?" Basically whatever you're having for B/L/D you give you're dog too?  With some exceptions of course but I think you know what I mean.

A raw diet is when you feed your dog raw meat, raw bones, sometimes organs and stuff too if they are on a 'prey model diet'. You get the meat from a butcher shop, usually, but its very expensive (atleast up here). I've heard that a raw diet (also known as BARF - Bones and Raw Food) is healthier for them (better for their coat, etc), but its a lot of extra work to manage and prepare. Some huskies' stomachs can't handle it either (like my boy's) or it alters their behaviour (they may develop a food guarding behaviour, like mine). I just feed mine the highest quality kibble I can afford (Taste of the Wild). 

He never gets people food. 

My two are totally different as puppies they both had their moments but blaze for the most part was brilliant tho he had a thing for chewing paper , skyla however had a thing for chewing EVERYTHING , once blaze hit his teenage stage he got very growly and aggressive towards us neutering helped calm him down he's now so cuddly and such a softie , spaying skyla didn't change her at all she's a generally calm dog very easy to train compared to blaze he is more stubborn

We used to have gerbils and blaze would show an interest in them but nothing nasty just curious but bings my staffy used to protect the gerbils and bark at blaze if he got too excitable around them , I have no doubt however if we had the gerbils when we got skyla we wouldn't have had them for much longer , they both however absolutely adore kids! My girl went through a fear period with kids but she's got over it now n is back looking for loves off them :-)

1. For those of you have or have had both a male and female husky can you describe the difference in temperament (if any?) ​Only had boys so can't comment, my boys are loving, fun and mischievous lol

2. Can you describe how their temperament changed (specify M or F) changed after getting them spayed or neutered? My boys are 6,5 and 4 they were neutered 3 months ago and have calmed down a lot, meeting other dogs is easier, they are generally not as hyper either :)

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it? My cat was here before my dogs, she was 10 when they killed her - this was only a year ago, so my dogs then were 5, 4 and 3.  2 out of the 3 were brought up around her from being pups but that didn't stop them every now and again from chasing her.  I would strongly advise against having a cat and husky co inhabit as i've seen first hand the damage they can do - it's heartbreaking :(

4. Most importantly, how does your husky interact with young children? From being pups my boys were desensitised to some things children do - tugging their fur, progging near their muzzle, tugging their tails etc - i did all this from day 1 - albeit very lightly!!  They not don't flinch at all - our kids were 10 and 6 when we got the pups, so a bit older, but friends have been around and a child once fell on one of mine, he flinched but didn't retaliate at all.  I think it's how you bring them up and train them

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it? My cat was here before my dogs, she was 10 when they killed her - this was only a year ago, so my dogs then were 5, 4 and 3.  2 out of the 3 were brought up around her from being pups but that didn't stop them every now and again from chasing her.  I would strongly advise against having a cat and husky co inhabit as i've seen first hand the damage they can do - it's heartbreaking :(

That is so sad...sorry you had to go through that.  As I said in my post I've never had a problem but it is important to know that all dogs, cats and situations are different and for the OP I would err on the side of caution.

Yeah, I know the potential for disaster is there in regards to my situation with the cat. I'm hoping that getting a female will = less of a predatory nature and perhaps after getting her fixed she will be even more calm.

Having said that I know that training and observations will be the most important things. Like you guys advised they should never be left alone. I will definitely put that plan into action.

To the user who had his cat killed: that really sucks. Especially considering you had kids that were probably attached to it. How did they react when they realized one or all of their dogs killed the cat?

I don't wanna look paranoid about(because i ve already posted in another topic that husky are sweet and look lovely, but they are in the top ten dangerous breeds and they have been ranked at the third position for the number of killed people, two steps before the presa canario) , but in general children + dogs = always some risk. It can be a 0.081%' even then I would never leave a child(0-15) unsupervised with a dog. So be careful, that what i want to say.