Potential Future Husky Owner Has A Few Questions

RamiAgonistes

Yeah, I know the potential for disaster is there in regards to my situation with the cat. I'm hoping that getting a female will = less of a predatory nature and perhaps after getting her fixed she will be even more calm.

Having said that I know that training and observations will be the most important things. Like you guys advised they should never be left alone. I will definitely put that plan into action.

To the user who had his cat killed: that really sucks. Especially considering you had kids that were probably attached to it. How did they react when they realized one or all of their dogs killed the cat?

I don't think gender or if they are fixed or not makes a difference on their predatory nature. Its an instinctual thing - you can't really train them out of it. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a girl who is very prey orientated and will kill and eat anything she could lay her hands on...She is a sweet thing however... the myth that a female will calm down after being spayed is what that is a myth will only work with males and then not always.

I also have a male and will give chase to cats as well as other little critters he has been done and he has not changed one bit.

Prey drive is a gene that they have and has to be respected imo same as the need for pulling.

My girl is a lot more prey driven then my male , my boy has only killed a frog through play when he was young .. My girl has caught a cat ( on lead) and killed a pigeon aswell , spaying doesn't always change them my girl hasn't changed at all

Beautiful killer with the blue eyes and charming smile :P 

Well, I suppose in animal world goes like that, even my old cat is so white beautiful, sweet and the best and most affectionate cat ever, almost a dog. Just for a little detail, he was a professional killer during the night ahah :D. Such a double life!

Yep, huskies have a very strong prey drive. My boy, even now at 9 years, still kills squirrels, possums, racoons, chipmunks, birds, etc. The first time he killed a squirrel, I thought to myself: "Oh. That's why he'll only play with squeaky toys...and then he will stop playing with them after their squeaker breaks". 

Hi guys.  I'm from NYC and thinking about getting a husky for my family.  It's my wife and I plus our two kids (5 & 2) and a cat.  I know that having a cat is not really idea for a husky but since I'm planning on getting a very young husky puppy I'm hoping that she will accept the cat as part of the pack.  Anyway, I have a few different questions that I hope some experienced husky owners can answer.

1. For those of you have or have had both a male and female husky can you describe the difference in temperament (if any?)

2. Can you describe how their temperament changed (specify M or F) changed after getting them spayed or neutered?

3. Those of you who have a cat or other small pet has your husky ever attempted to harm it?

4. Most importantly, how does your husky interact with young children?

Thanks to any and all replies.

I've had both. The male was much more willing to please than my female. But it isn't due to gender - it is her personality. She is very independent.  I'm by no means an expert, but 20 plus years with the breed has provided me with some good insight. We do have a cat, and have had cats with huskies the entire time.  It is a risk. To take that risk is to understand that with their high prey drive the chance of something bad happening is likely. I would never tell someone it can be done. Everything depends on the personality of both the cat and the husky. There are no guarantees of safety. If something would happen, you have to understand that it is YOUR responsibility. It is NOT the huskies fault. If you cannot predict how your husky will react to the cat in every situation, and how the cat reacts, you have no business in pairing them in the same home. It is a risk that I personally am willing to shoulder. I understand my huskies personalities and traits.

All of my huskies have/do LOVE the grandchildren. They understand that whatever the children do, they may leave the situation, but they may NEVER discipline the child. And they will try if not provided with boundaries.

Exercise is the most important part of owning this breed. If you cannot commit to that, consider another breed. A bored, unexercised husky can become a wrecking machine. It's unhealthy for them to be without it.

I have a boy and a girl. Tuff was hyper to the max before and after he was fixed. However it has gotten TONS better as he aged. He's 3 now and pretty calm. He would rather lounge around then run around. I got Aspen when Tuff was 2. She was 12 weeks old when I brought her home. She is a diva with spunk and attitude to spare. She will get in Tuffs face and just tell him off. If you tell her to do something and she doesn't like it she will stomp her front paws. On the flip side both my dogs are cuddle monsters. They get along well with my nieces and nephews although we usually put them in their crates while they are here cause sometimes Tuff doesn't know his size. They both have extreme prey drives. Tuff just likes the chase. He once caught a bird mid flight and just sat it back down and the ground unhurt and nudged it with his nose to get it back up. He's a gentle 90lbs giant. Aspen however kills anything she can catch. So really I don't think its the sex of the dog, it's really just the personality of it.