Failed Eye Exam

HuskyMom09

Hidden

Often times you'll hear people stress the importance of testing any dog considered for breeding potential against all heritable diseases prone in the breed.  In Siberians we're charged with screening eyes (annually) and hips (after the dog reaches 2 years of age).  When a breeder does not follow through with this, the dog is the one that suffers.  It's not about how good of a line the breeder can spin, how successful they are or appear in the activity of their choosing (mushing, showing, etc), its about being able to verify they are doing the right things.  

I fell into a false sense of security when I took Rogue on from a breeder who was getting out of dogs.  I had one other dog from this breeder who was fine, she had lots of success in the show ring, had a top ranked bitch, was getting back into running her dogs, and had a highly successful stint in weight pulling.  She always stressed the importance of health testing...only to find out she didn't follow through on her health testing.

Rogue's parents were never tested and it was a line breeding (mother to son)...something that was repeatedly warned to her not to do on that line.  Rogue is the one that is suffering the consequences, having large heritable juvenile cataracts that may or may not take her vision as she ages.. 

10801611_725311120870452_296587586944231

Hidden

She already HAS cataracts- if they impede her vision we can opt for surgery.  However, the vision will never fully restored after that as they have to remove the lens.  Thankfully Cataracts are not painful and they can adapt to being blind easily enough.  I think we, as humans, take the news harder than they ever feel.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

How close is too close in regards to breeding? Obviously mother x son is too close, but is great grandfather + daughter still too close? I have no intention of breeding, but eventually I will be looking for a puppy, and it would be nice to know. 

Awwwww I bet you are so mad.  Is there anything you can do, this breeder just sounds so irresponsible, do you know anyone else who has had problems with pups from her?  Can you report her to an association for breeders. Sorry I am not sure how it all works at registered level. I am just so sad for little Rouge.   

Hidden

I am pretty upset, more for Rogue than personal pity.  This breeder is NOT in good standing with the Parent Club (SHCA) and AKC says this is a civil matter not something they deal with.  I've since learned that at least a hand full of others that have had or produced this issue from this breeder's lines.  Of course she's denying everything!  She has a current litter on the ground, so now is not a good time for her to have these issues being made aware of-  We're doing what we can and spreading the information as far as we can.  This is why it's so important to health test your dogs before you consider breeding them-