Son Sat His Entrance Test...

Emma

Just got back from the banding entrance test for my sons secondary school. It's not a grammar school and it's not a pass or fail test. It's just to sort children into different levels of ability and then offer places to a certain amount from each group. The higher the band they are placed in the further out the catchment area seems to go though.

It's the school he really wants to go to and if things go well then fingers crossed he'll be offered a place next year! [emoji2]

Once the test is done they sort out the groups and look at distances. The closest 30 children from each group will be offered a place via the council.....the rest of the time is the council processing all the applications for every child in the borough for all senior schools in order of preferences stated. This school was my sons first choice as we listed six schools (most of which he won't get into as all schools get more applicants than places). That takes a while as they're also dealing with infant school applications at the same time.

Can't you lie, just a little ?

We fibbed to get my son into his primary school, told them a family friend who already went there was my boys cousin. Schools put an awful lot of emphasis on `retaining the familial bond ` nowadays, especially if you say they have a close friendship as well as a blood bond.

( DO NOT do this if the only kid you know if a juvenile delinquent lol)