Mixing Husky And Small Dog Breed?

WhiteWolf

I was seriously taking in consideration about getting a small dog breed (pomeranian) but I am somewhat fearful because I'm afraid of what Nahla may do to it, she's a puppy herself.

My husband takes her to the dog park everyday and she plays pretty rough, she especially picks on dogs smaller then her UNLESS they snap and bark at her, then she will not bother them.

Space is not a problem at all. Did anyone have big breed-small breed experiences?

I did but my IG was an adult and already established when we got Lakota as a pup. He actually taught Lakotaa lot, but was much older and around the same size to start with. Mixing the other way around would make me nervous though as a pom is much smaller and being brought into Nahla's ( who's probably already bigger lol) established territory.

I have had my ex's Small Yorkshire Terrier stay at my place for a few weekends.

I did warn her that he might end up as a chew toy.

Although he is an obnoxious yappy in your face kind of mutt, my guys pretty much just ignored the rugrat.

and he mostly stayed out of their way.

Get a Shiba Inu - they are awesome dogs. Ronin is fine with smaller dogs, but last week at the park we had a meet up with 12 or 15 huskies and about half had to put their dogs on lead or leave when two Jack Russels came in. 

My boy has grown up with my yorkie with no problems, as long as you set boundaries. Do beware that when they first play it would look and seem like hes tearing it apart lol. My mother was terrified when she saw them play, my yorkies head would hit the floor or his whole head would be in his mouth.

My yorkie actually runs the house, as my husky is very tolerant of him and protective at the park.

I was living in a house with a Maltese cross and a cat when I brought Loki home. When I first got him out of the car, the Maltese ran up to him and startled him pretty bad. However my boy seems to get on just fine with smaller dogs (it's usually the smaller dogs that start the fights), and I think growing up with one is mostly why. If it was the other way around I wouldn't be so sure, unfortunately the only way to know is to try it.

I'd say that it depends on the two dogs themselves. Within my limited experience observing and working with various dog packs (belonging to neighbors, families and friends) smaller does not always equal vulnerable, and bigger does not always equal dangerous. Sometimes it may just be the exact opposite :o but standing from a general point of view, I'd say the most ideal scenario for you right now is wait until your Husky gets older and (hopefully) calmer. Hypothetically speaking (and setting all the puppy cuteness aside), the last thing you want in a household are two puppies. Especially when you predict the larger one may or may not bully the smaller one. Maybe the Pom puppy would be able to defend him/herself. Maybe, right? But if not, that puppy would not be very happy and may develop fear-aggressive behavior. Too many maybes. I'd wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that it depends on the two dogs themselves. Within my limited experience observing and working with various dog packs (belonging to neighbors, families and friends) smaller does not always equal vulnerable, and bigger does not always equal dangerous. Sometimes it may just be the exact opposite :o but standing from a general point of view, I'd say the most ideal scenario for you right now is wait until your Husky gets older and (hopefully) calmer. Hypothetically speaking (and setting all the puppy cuteness aside), the last thing you want in a household are two puppies. Especially when you predict the larger one may or may not bully the smaller one. Maybe the Pom puppy would be able to defend him/herself. Maybe, right? But if not, that puppy would not be very happy and may develop fear-aggressive behavior. Too many maybes. I'd wait.

I also feel this as well! Hopefully Nahla will calm down a bit more, but I feel it'd be the best thing to wait on bringing another puppy in the house. :-)