Diarrhea !

evu1985

Help !! bella has diarrhea ... We've never changed anything in her diet to trigger it , but we think it could be caused by something she ate outside, during walk . She licked couple of puddles too :/

Anyway , how do we help her ? What to feed her to tie up the stool ? Rice and chicken ? Untill now she has only been given her wainwrights kibble and im not sure if rice with chicken wouldnt be too much of suddend change if you know what i mean ... ?

The squirts, as I call it because I can' for the life of me spell dioreea, can be sudden onset, caused by nervous reaction, something ingested, a virus, worms, bacteria (the bad kind), or by several other causes. First, withhold food, but not water, for 24 hours. This gives the entire digestive tract, time to settle. Don't even offer any treats or small tidbits of food.

Boiled, skinless, boneless chicken, chopped in bite-size chunks, mixed with an equal amount of steamed rice, white or brown, fed twice a day. After a day, and after two days, check the stools to see if they have firmed up. Also, during these two days, you can feed some plain yogurt, a couple of spoonfuls twice a day, and if you can find it, canned plain pumpkin. Again a couple of spoonfuls twice a day.

If after two days, the squirts are still present, best to see a vet, and take a stool sample for testing. On the other hand, if the stools have firmed up, you will need to transition back to the kibble, over a seven to ten day period. Simply reduce the chicken and rice a little at each meal, while introducing a little of the kibble. Continue to monitor the stools. If there is any relapse to the squirts, have your vet check the dog over.

Good luck. Please post any progress.

Noah has been off his food and threw up the entire contents of his Tummy when we gave him his worming chewy things, which was worrying as he not really eaten for 2 days and there was lots of sick.  Called the vet and he said starve him for 24 hours then feed chicken and rice.  2 days on, no sick, and his poops look ok.  I would call your vet for advice for management of diarrhoea if you are unsure or notice other symptoms like lethargy or not wanting to drink or eat the chicken and rice.