Wilsons Original Feed

clyvert

Hi folks was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this stuff, i come from a farming community and and was telling one of the farmers I know about meeko having the runs refusing food etc, and he swears by this stuff has been using it for 40 odd years apparently and every one of his dogs has loved it, its for working and sporting dogs, but I cant seem to find much info on it, not that i'll be changing him onto it just now as we are in battle of the wills mode at the moment, lol, just wondered if anyone had ever used or heard of it before, and if it may be an option?

Cheers

When I got him from the breeder he was on pedigree puppy, but his toilet just never seemed to be as solid as i'd like so I took him to the vet to make sure there were no problems health wise, which there werent, but the vet said he'd take him off the pedigree puppy as "it stinks going in, and its worse going out", so he suggested either beta or royal canin, we went for the beta which was a waste of time as he never touched it, so we then tried the royal canin, which he ate at first but within a couple of days he had the runs again, so it was back through all the chicken and rice bit of scrambled eggs etc to try flush him out agin and now he wont touch the royal canin, dont get me wrong as others have said on another thread i think the chicken and rice have given him a taste of the good stuff so he is trying to push my buttons by not eating the 'dog' food and holding out for the good stuff, I just wondered about the wilsons as I hadnt heard of it before, i was really wanting to keep him on the wet, but every time I ever needed to take either Malakai or Meeko to the vet, it was almost like the vets rule of thumb fix for everything is take him off the wet food better on dry so I thought Id give it a go.

As far as I know a dog won't starve himself so sometimes it's best to put the food down for a short time then take it away and no treats until next feeding time then try same until he gets the message. Also sometimes huskies need less food than the pack states so maybe he is just full up and the runs are a result of over feeding. I know mine get the runs if we overfeed and they egt about a 3rd less than the amount suggested on the pack.

I haven't heard of Wilsons but one word of warning if your boy is as sensitive as Mine....Anything with a lot of grain in it will come out like a jet stream. Huskies for whatever reason do seem to be a lot more sensitive to grains than most other breeds I know. It might be worth looking into grain free dog foods (I know pets at home brand wainwrights do a grain free range that's reasonably priced). Even regular wainwrights are pretty good most of the time although I have found with Bear that even changing food flavours within the same brand needs to be done gradually. I guess it depends on the Sensitivity of the dog in question. I know some with a cast iron tummy that can handle pretty much anything. Then there are dogs like my ice who can tolerate very little. Finding a food that doesn't leave him pooing like a sprinkler system was hard going.....took a year! My carpets will never be the same again, lol!