Very Lucky I've Been Doing Some Recall Training!

Zanki

For the past few weeks I've been doing some recall training with Shadow randomly when we go out. I've been taking her favourite treats out with me just in case something happens and she ends up off her lead. I didn't expect to have to use it so soon though.

Today I took Shadow up to the huge park in the city to do something different for a change. She was loving it, although everyone was keeping their dogs away from my big scary husky! Anyway, one dog ran over to play with us which was cool with me since Shadow really wanted to play. They were running around like idiots until the other dog clothes lined itself really hard. It took the lead right out of my hand. Shadow didn't notice since she was so busy playing. The other dog owner freaked out, started screaming at her dog for being bad (I don't know why, it was just being a typical dog and playing, wasn't it's fault at all). She called her dog over to her and I called Shadow over to me, tapping my coat where I keep the treats. She looked at the other dog, looked back at me then decided I was the better choice and ran to me and sat down. I was able to grab her lead again and gave her a treat for being such a good dog. I'm so proud of my girl for doing that. She would have run off in the past but not today, she just came straight back to me. I know this doesn't mean anything, I'm not going to let her run free, but at least she now has some kind of recall if something happens.

We teach ours emergency recall too when we go up the basketball court.  Like you said, it's a useful tool to have should the worst happen and they escape their harness.

Good girl for coming back!   But I bet that was a truly heart in mouth moment! 

I just feel so damn lucky. I really thought she was going to bolt. I think she thought she was going to as well before her stomach overrode that thought. It was starting to go dark as well plus we were over a mile away from home and she's only been there three times. I know she has taken herself home (well started to) when she's got off before but I doubt she knows her way home from there. I may have lost her if she ran and I couldn't keep up.

Nice work :D

I've had a couple times where my boy's lead has come off, or he's escaped out a door somewhere. The times he's gotten out the door, I've usually seen him run out, so he doesn't get too far away and I've been able to call him back (I quickly grab some treats and a plastic bag, to make some noise). The few times his lead has come loose, luckily was on quiet walks. I noticed it came loose so just stopped. He seemed kind of confused that suddenly he wasn't being restrained so he just sat down and let me put the lead back on. I don't think he'd do the same in a situation like yours though, he's distracted so easily :(