Something I'm Working On

Dan

One of my main hobbies is electronics, I love coming up with project ideas and seeing if I can push myself to get them done. In this way I've been entirely self taught. In particular I love things that produce light, and with some LED strip on hand, I was thinking of new project ideas.

I've seen dog glow collars before, but I thought, hey, I could make one far more awesome and customizable  :D

I usually go for my walks in the evening, and occasionally we go down to the esplanade for a walk. A few times I've put this collar on him and I've had people ask me where I got it, so I was actually considering turning it into a product. I'm curious what people here think, and whether it'd be something you think would be popular? Essentially I'd sell them as a "kit", so basically a small controller/battery box, then the customer can decide on how much LED strip they'd need to fit their dog/collar. This way people could use whatever existing collars they had, in any type or colour they like, rather than me having to stock them all. All you'd have to do is attach it to the collar - stitching, gluing, taping, zip-tieing, basically anything :) Doesn't even have to be on a collar, you could stick it on a harness, or even the lead.

It would be weather resistant in case you get caught in the rain, but also if the dog happens to dive into a puddle or something. I haven't come up with many pattern ideas for them yet, but basically with the press of a button you can change between the 8 main colours, or some flashing/fading rainbow patterns, and also change the brightness. It'd remember the last option you'd set so you don't have to change it every time you want to use it. It'd just charge from a regular micro USB plug, like for smartphones. Battery life is still something I'm considering, but obviously it'll depend on how big the collar is, and how bright you run it. I'd be aiming for a minimum of 2 hours at full brightness for a husky-sized dog (but in the dark, full brightness is blinding). Obviously the trade off is the physical size of the control box. As it stands I don't think it'd be suitable for tiny dogs, but that could be a later project :)

Of course I have my very patient test subject to demo it for me :D

Let me know what you think.

post-12603-0-29320300-1417477007_thumb.j

post-12603-0-34965200-1417477018.jpg

:)

It works well on huskies because it kind of causes the hair around the neck to glow, and you can't really see the collar much once the hair settles into place. Obviously this is just a display collar though, I just swap it out for his normal one when we go for walks :)

Basically 80% of the control box size is the battery itself, but it'd be an inbuilt lithium polymer battery, like in a smartphone, so very lightweight. That said it should be under ~4x2x1.5cm, and no more than maybe 100g :)

• 5 months later...

Been pretty distracted, but been back at this the last couple of days. Have gone through a complete redesign and just need to finish the PCB layout and order some components for prototyping. 

The goal has been to try and get the controller as small as possible, and I think I've got it about as good as it's gonna get, yet still give reasonable lifetime.

AABatt.png

AA battery for size comparison.

Assem2.png

Simply charges through a standard micro USB plug, most people have chargers for this already.

Very excited to get testing! :D

• 4 weeks later...