Goals For Your Dogs?

Dan

Sorry if I'm posting too much, it's just great having a place to talk to people who are just as mad about dogs as me :D

My goal for Loki is to one day take him to some snow, or perhaps even live somewhere it snows, that'd be the ultimate goal for myself. It'll never happen where I live now, but I'd love to see what he thinks of it :D

I live in Pennsylvania and I feel like we get too much snow here but I can't imagine Minnesota!  Nyx spent her first weekend with us in about 4 inches of snow and we're just getting started!  Maybe I can train her to take me to work via dog sled for the winter months...  :lol:

Awe, poor guy!  Haha!  I grew up in the southeastern US where summers are horribly hot and humid (pretty much like what you're dealing with now).  Had my first husky there and she would spend the summers laying on the air conditioner vents on the floor.  So it's summer for you now but do winters get cold in your area or do they stay fairly mild?

I'm still struggling with the adjustment of living in a snowy area-taking the pup outside tonight and getting pelted by ice pellets is not so much fun!  :)

The breeder was located a fair bit further North than where I live at the moment, sort of amongst rainforest, it was probably a fair bit more humid up there than where I am at the moment.

Probably not your definition of cold, lowest temp we saw last winter was about 5C. I was born up here but something tells me I was born to live in cold climates, I hate the heat :(

But you couldn't say my boy isn't spoilt ... ;)

post-12603-0-95522300-1417573352_thumb.j

Oh my gosh, love it!  Haha! 

So your low temps are pretty close to what we would see when I lived in Georgia...maybe a bit warmer.  Now here in Pennsylvania we're much colder, of course.  We can get down around -3C or so on average in the winter.  Last year we had days where the wind chill made it feel like -34C.  Now I'm more of a warm weather person-I absolutely freeze even after living up here for seven years now!  I sit in front of a space heater at work most of the year!

So in keeping with the title of your thread I do have some goals for my husky.  Short-term goals include potty training her and making sure she understands that chewing wires is not a good thing!  Long-term goals include maybe training her in agility.  I've done other dog sports before and love working with/training my dog and agility would be new for me. 

I'd love to try do something like that as well, would be good for both Loki and I, though it's just so hard to find a good time. I basically can't take him outside in the sun for more than a few minutes or he overheats, so mornings or afternoons are my only options. Annoying since without a job I have basically nothing else to do during the day, so I'm stuck inside in the aircon. 

Oh, actually, I got him to jump through one of the obstacles at the dog park yesterday, does that count? :D

Looks good with airco for the furkid...LOL no need for that here for those couple of days in the summer...

and btw you can never ever post to much..that is what keeps us alive...:P

I can't wait to fly my boy over to see snow either :) He's born and raised in Indonesia -- the ultimate tropical country (we're literally *right* in the middle of the equatorial line). Guess it'd be exciting to see how he handles Michigan :D that being said, my ultimate dream/goal for Diamond is to one day give him a job. Maybe bikejoring/scootering. Maybe I'd simply buy a doggy backpack and make him carry my groceries (I really need a hand on that sometimes). Maybe I'd register him to be a therapy dog. Maybe this, maybe that. We'll just see :)

EDIT: don't feel bad for posting too much, I've been this forum's parrot for many years and it'd be great to have someone take my throne after all this time :P x

EDIT: Ooh! Look!

post-2850-0-53536800-1417622733.png

I hate the snow and cold but it's just part of life here in Chicago in the winter.  Lobo is in his snow dog glory and loves playing in it, laying in it, running through it, going for endless walks in it (ugh). In the summer heat he gets tired much quicker on walks, it's great :lol:

I'd be happy to swap Michelle :D

I have given Loki a try pulling me along on a bike for a very short distance, but because of the heat here he gets pretty exhausted even just on a reasonably paced walk, so I have to be a bit careful with it. Well, I get exhausted far too easily as well, but hopefully that'll change over time. One of my personal goals getting a husky was I'd become a lot more physically active too, and it has definitely worked. Every time I consider skipping a walk one night I get pestered by endless "wooo woo wOOoOoOoo" and head resting on my leg I just have to go :)

Bah, my post count has already exploded compared to yesterday. At least becoming a sponsor I don't feel so bad using a ton of forum bandwidth :D

Edited by Thingz

• 1 month later...