Homeless People

mydiamond

What do you do when somebody, who may or may not be homeless but most likely is, approach you and say "excuse me, you got a dollar to spare?" ?

I've been approached three separate times. I never gave anything in all three occasions and honestly I feel a little guilty. Saying 'no' is just a knee-jerk reaction for me since there's a law against giving money to beggars in Indonesia (after we found out that most of them turns out to be middle-class home owners in disguise). But half a second after the person walks away I always go like "darn it I should've donated a dollar or two". The worst thing is; I've emptied my wallet for a local animal rescue once (I only have $6 left, but that's exactly why it's odd that I donated it all). I currently sort of feel like all the plus karma points I've made are exclusively for other species :(

Anyways. Feel free to share stories and opinions! x

Working in Chicago, I encounter probably a dozen homeless people just on my 15 minute walk to the office per day (usually the same ones).  This may seem a little cold, but I do not respond nor make eye contact at all, and here is why:  I have had friends give them money, so when you do that (especially if you encounter the same one on a regular basis) they EXPECT it, and know to harass you.  I have known people to get chased down the street, or yelled at, or have things thrown at them when they can't give them anything. 

I know it's different in a smaller city, or if you don't encounter them daily.  Also, although I do have compassion for people who are down on their luck, it's just not feasible to hand out money all the time.  Not all, but many of them need help from substance abuse and are not likely to spend that money on food, clothing or shelter, and that's an unfortunate truth.  I think the problem with society lies mostly with our broken health care system, and taking care of our own residents, but that's a topic for a different day!

The best thing one of my friends did during a trip to Chicago was give one of them his leftover meal from the restaurant. He was grateful, and the food did not go to waste

There was a story in a local paper a few years ago how a lot of the Oxford beggars travel home in their Jaguars after a days begging. I also don't give them food after seeing how angry one of them got when my friend gave him a coffee (he had just asked for money to get a cup of coffee).

I would recommend donating to a homeless shelter if you want to help the genuinely homeless.

^^^ looking for that sort of shelter currently. On top of however few $$ I can spare I also have a big bunch of stuff I can donate. Including but not limited to: traveler cup and desk fan brought all the way from Indo only to sit under my study desk collecting dust.

I don't donate to those on the streets but have been in touch with the local homeless shelter and have put a request out to everyone in our office to bring in items the shelter has requested and am taking it down to them before Xmas

sent via husky howls

I gave a person $20 one time. Poor guy, or so I thought, looked like he could use a good meal or two. Then a couple weeks later, he's on the news, part of an investigative report. Seems he makes six figures a year, bumming up people for money. He stands at intersections with a sign, "Stranded. Need money to get back to . . ." Guy had a nicer vehicle than I have. Boy did I feel like a sucker.

Yep. I'm done feeling guilty. You see, a reporter (then followed by many others) did this investigation in Jakarta and revealed... in national TV mind you... that the average beggar in Jakarta makes more money than most people sitting in an office with a tie and a suit. Some even had the cheek to admit that during weekends they 'take a day off' and go on vacations. Nope you didn't read that wrong: the folks admit to the camera rolling without a single shame. They didn't even know what's so wrong about it. Then the law, one I mentioned in my original post, got passed.

I'll find a shelter to donate to instead.

I guess it depends on the place. If its somewhere downtown, never, because I don't trust anyone there. Its sketchy.

Whenever a person approaches me and asks for money, I quickly look them over. If it looks like they are not doing drugs, I give them the benefit of the doubt and give them some change. Usually they provide some sort of reason, like bus fare, etc. If they don't give a reason, I always ask. If they hesitate or seem defensive about it, I apologize and say I don't have any change, because that to me seems they are doing drugs/alcohol or are not legitimate. 

If they launch into an elaborate story about how they have a family and etc, etc, I don't give them anything. Because obviously they are just trying to scam me. 

Honestly, a dollar here or there isn't going to break the bank for me. Maybe I'm too nice, but I know if I was in their position, I'd want people to give me the benefit of the doubt. 

Always having lived in smaller cities I haven't really encountered it much. Like others have said, if they catch on that you take that route often then they'll probably bug you each time you go past. Donating to the shelters/food places are a better way to go IMO :)

I agree with donating to shelters or even volunteering at a homeless shelter. That would do so much more than giving a guy a few bucks on the street that may or may not go towards booze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have added that generally any time someone comes up to you asking for money here, you can pretty much guarantee it's going towards drugs/cigarettes/alcohol. There are genuine people occasionally but they're so few and far in between it's not really worth it. At least donating to the shelters, the people that usually utilize such places are the ones actually in need, and you know the money is going towards things they actually need.

Edited by Thingz