Offlead Huskies!

BingBlaze n Skyla

Why why why do people still insist on letting them off! I was walking skyla n decided as a treat we'd go over the field she was having great fun despite being on a normal length lead I see these 4 dogs in the distance two of which are clearly huskies the other two were staffies , next thing I know as I'm thinking crap ok come on skyla let's go is the woman shouting the dogs ,

Yep they're coming right towards us .... They sniff it's fine then skyla and the female husky just go for it teeth bared I had to hold skyla back whilst shouting at this dog to get off in my meanest angry voice manage to grab her collar too n hold them apart all whilst the male is around the back off skyla all I'm thinking is oh crap not enough hands so I get my foot ready just incase I need to use it luckily he backs off as his owner gets close and then she gets them both on lead , she apologised but why have them off if they don't listen , I heard her say to her friend oh it's on a lead like that makes a difference!? I explain she's been attacked by offlead dogs before so doesn't like being charged at! Again she apologises but I just wanna go home now so I say it's ok n we leave but ffs these dogs are always off lead and always running away , why still let them off!?

Ugh! That does my head in too and is one of my pet peeves as you can probably tell, lol. If your dog, regardless of breed, doesn't come back when its called the first time then it doesn't have a good recall and shouldn't be off lead. The fact that they were off lead huskies in an unsecure area is a whole other topic all in itself. Not even gonna open that can of worms. :facepalm:

Yeah, kind of a stupid location to let any dog off lead. I couldn't live with myself if a dog was injured or hit by a car by letting them off lead. Sometimes when I'm on the way home from our walk I'll drop Loki's lead just around the block from home, but only if I know he's worn out enough and there's no one else along the path. Would never risk it if there were other dogs around, husky or not :(

Edited by Thingz

On my way home from work once I came across a husky offlead..one second it was trotting next to its owner on the pavement...next second it jumped into the road and nearly got hit (not by me, I was on foot). I would like to think that her owner will keep her on the lead next time...

Glad Skyla is ok :)

How annoying!

Yesterday I was walking Maiya and Harry and on our way home this little Jack Russell comes running up to us. Now he's really sweet (my neighbours dog) and my dogs get on with him but then he starts following us.  Bearing in mind the combined weight of Maiya and Harry is 75 kilos and I weigh 57kg they have a bit of an advantage on me if they want to go somewhere, also I had taken Harrys walking harness off as we were on route home and he doesn't pull on the way home. 

Anyway the dogs got really excited and I had a job to control them, then the little JR followed us all the way home, I was exhausted with all the pulling and twice the JR nearly got hit by a car :(

Once my two were safely indoors I clipped the JR onto one of my leads and walked him back to his house. The owner was gobsmacked he'd followed me which I explained wasn't an issue but the fact he could of been hit by a car and or caused an accident.

I wish people would be more responsible for their animals!

Glad you and your guys are ok.

Unfortunately She's not the one who will pay for her stupidity 

It'll be one of her dogs that gets hurt or killed before she gets the message.

Luckily I only had fluff with me if I'd have had blaze i wouldn't of been able to separate them so easily , there's a woman with 2 huskies who lives just by the field too and even she's had issues with them her boys are like skyla and will stick up for themselves which is good for them not so good for the other dogs

I'm curious how my boy would handle a situation like that, but on the other hand I don't really want to find out. He's never, ever been aggressive in any way, no growling or even showing teeth. A few times at the dog park I think he's felt a bit overwhelmed and kind of just gets low to the ground and acts submissive, but he's never actually been attacked. I think he'd be the type that would just freak out and try drag me away as fast as he could.

I'm curious how my boy would handle a situation like that, but on the other hand I don't really want to find out. He's never, ever been aggressive in any way, no growling or even showing teeth. A few times at the dog park I think he's felt a bit overwhelmed and kind of just gets low to the ground and acts submissive, but he's never actually been attacked. I think he'd be the type that would just freak out and try drag me away as fast as he could.

I actually hope Loki would issue a warning growl. When a dog is charging at yours really they don't see you. There's too little we can do for them especially when the attacking dog is huge and strong :( I carry umbrellas with me on walks now in case a dog is charging at mine I can open the umbrella to startle them, but the success rate is debatable. Mine is crazy laid-back too, but when he got attacked by a loose Rottweiler few months ago, he snarled and snapped, sometimes actually nipping. Thankfully he knows just how much to nip to keep the attack from escalating to a real bloodbath. It's difficult with aggressive off-leash dogs, really... Last thing you want to do is run, but at the same time how do you know they're not going to hurt your dog if we let them get close? *bangs head on wall*

EDIT: moral of the story, dogs who do not come back when called should not be let off-lead!!

Makes me mad. Since Logan was attacked, he is cautious of all off lead dogs and will walk close to my side, but very alert. I'd hate to hurt another dog, but if the owner can't/won't stop it, I will defend Logan. As placid as he is though, he seems to know how to do that himself.

Trouble is, the dog on the lead is so often at a disadvantage. At the time Logan had a long line on so I let it go slack so he could manoeuvre.

And why, so often do the owners take the high ground, with something like "it's because your's is on a lead"?

• 3 weeks later...

I always make sure to have my guy on a lead when there's other dogs/cars around. Off lead time is only for the woods when no one is around, however; people can be soooo inconsiderate. 

I've honestly been pulling into bushes, dirt, you name it. By having dogs running up to my dude while on lead because he's very timid when approached quickly by others, he's a very shy guy and due to his last "owner" his socialization is terrible. 

It's such a simple concept too, if you know your dog isn't well off lead. Then keep him on one until you're in a place that's safe for everyone. :T