Hobbies!

Dan

Had a quick search and couldn't find any other topics on this, so thought this would be interesting :D

As the subject name implies, what are your hobbies? And if you have pics, even better :D

I think my favourite hobby is just building things. If I'm not building something, I'm generally bored. Most of my projects are electronics based in some way.

I'm also into flying RC craft, like airplanes and multirotors. Dad and I are currently working on scratch building an experimental plane, which should be interesting :)

Programming is probably my 3rd hobby, since it's required for nearly all of my electronics projects, but I also find myself redesigning/creating new websites every 2nd week just to try something different each time. 

I also find myself spending a lot of time online socializing in some way, usually through forums and IRC. I don't think I could count the number of forum memberships I have on 4 hands :D

Oh, and anything that produces pretty light.

A few pics:

My plane:

1607082_10152535960498014_89400764193085

Huge multicoloured clock:

IMG_0048s.jpg

Tornado generator (stands around 2 metres tall):

IMG_0190.JPG

Lasers!

DSCF2197.jpg

My best quadcopter:

DSCF2416.jpg

Loki loved the quadcopter too! (he's about 4 months in this pic)

IMG_1725.jpg

And a pic I took from the quadcopter about 70 metres up :)

IMG_0046.jpg

Now yours! :D

I love camping! But sadly where I live at the moment, most places are national parks and don't allow dogs. Also haven't had any good rain in ages so majority of the rivers are dried out. I'd love to take Loki camping at some point :)

My hobbies tend to change every few months where I find new things and lose interest in others, lol.

On my profile page it says "Film maker in the morning, music compositor in the afternoon, programmer in the evening, geek at night and animal lover all the time" which is still true.

I love shooting video with my cameras and steady-cam and love editing it together. I hear a song and see the video for it before I even film it. Sadly it's very time consuming so haven't been able to do as much as I would like to have in the past few years.

I'm a photographer and always like to try new things. People and scenes are fun to photograph but the most fun are the ones involving dogs. I've been getting really good with those. With that also comes photo editing which nicely slides back to web/interface designing which I also do quite often in my spare time.

I frequently compose music. Don't release all I make though as I never thing it's good enough  :redface1: Type of music really depends on how I'm feeling at that moment.

I program. A lot. If I need to do a task on my computer more than once, I'll make a program for it to do it for me. A python program, a program that runs on my server or a webapplication, I don't care. I'll learn it if I have to and create applications around my own ideas how things should work. Would like to learn Java for Android but frankly I'm out of ideas for programs at the moment, lol.

Talking about servers, I love tinkering with Linux. I run it both on my two servers, as well as on the desktop's in this house and the few Raspberry's PI's that I maintain. And of course I shouldn't forget the one this website is running on as well.

Recently I've been playing a bit more with hardware (Raspberry PI in particular) and slowly discovering the world of electronics. I really like the idea of turning on lights and switches with some code, I can see great potential here.

And well.. Animals of course. Between jobs I would be able to consider it as a hobby, although now I finished my degree as animal carer I suppose I can now say it's my profession  :) I have worked with dogs, cats, goats, llamas, sheep, cows, horses and many more. Though I have most experience with dogs, especially dogs with a history.

And connected to point, another one of my interests is spirituality. Wouldn't guess it from my earlier items on this list but I love learning new things and experimenting with it, especially if it involves animals. Not everything you feel may necessarily your feeling. Decrypting these things have been a huge learning process for myself about understanding myself and the world around me. I would really like to expand more on this in the following months as I realised there is much more behind this than I thought. 

I used to do lots of arty, crafty type things like glass painting etc... But lost the motivation and interest after a while. But that was donkeys years ago now.....These days reading is probably the closest thing to a hobby as I get, lol.

I used to do lots of arty, crafty type things like glass painting etc... But lost the motivation and interest after a while. But that was donkeys years ago now.....These days reading is probably the closest thing to a hobby as I get, lol.

I can do all that too, but I hate it lol. My mum is an expert crafter and will try anything ( her new thing for Jan will be chainmail !) Probably why I hate it.

Reading is my love now days, everything from Aiken to Reilly, action, romance, even zombie books.

I'm a literary gal. I make poems, short stories, journals, articles... stuff Microsoft Word makes. Stories aren't really my thing, though. You can actually see me dumping poems all over the forum sometimes :lol: I'm also a public speaking person. I represent my high school in competitions involving speeches and politics and stuff. Speaking of politics, I'm also a social science enthusiast... which leads to my love of languages. Last but not least; doggies :D

My biggest hobby is my martial arts. I've been training for 13 yeas, half my life, now and I love it as much now as I did when I started training as a kid. I've trained in loads of different styles over the years, but my main two have been Shotokan Karate and Wutan Kung Fu. Martial arts has made me strong, fast and has given me opportunities to do things that I would never have gotten otherwise. I think the biggest for me was training with my favourite actor when I was in America a few years ago (he was busy filming the last time I went to hang out). I still can't believe I've been able to train with him and just hang out, childhood dream come true! It's not often that the people you have been looking up to since you were a kid are impressed with how much martial arts you do/know, especially when you can show them!

t0ms6Or.jpg

An old Karate picture. I don't have any pics of me with my new class.

deHxpxi.jpg

This is my Kung Fu class after training yesterday. There was another girl there, but she's hiding behind the camera.

I also had an awesome encounter with the original Red Power Ranger, Austin, when I was at a convention in August. It was 3am and we were all in the lobby of our hotel having one heck of a good party when he walked in. For some random reason after a while he decided to come over to me and just hang out having a drink. No big deal really, but my friends were fanboying because it kept happening, the actors randomly wanting to talk to me so they got to talk to them as well. Eventually he moves on, but starts talking martial arts so I go over because it's interesting. I wanted to know how much he really knew. Loads of people where trying to suck up to him, yelling that they had done martial arts for a while, trying to get his attention. There was another girl there who thought she was all buddy buddy with him and was being a complete idiot... Anyway, he starts talking martial arts and the philosophy behind it and starts asking us questions, no one could answer so I started answering. Question after question I just answered them until he just paused and looked at me for a few moments. My friend said it looked like I blew his mind. I don't think he was expecting to meet anyone who knew so much about martial arts, especially the philosophy behind it since no one else who says they did martial arts could. When he finished talking, he came over to me again, he told me to keep doing whatever I was doing because I was on the right path, then told everyone he noticed me for my intelligent answers. Was such an awesome night, me and my friends where up till 5am after that.

I also go to gymnastics:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Btzct75IEAIKr5g.jpg

I also love finishing Power Ranger helmet kits. You basically buy the raw kit, which is just a fiberglass and resin shell with the design cast on it. You have to fill it, cut it, sand it, put the hinge in, the visor, the clasps. The entire thing needs painting as well. I love working on them. I've finished four helmets now, only one of mine doesn't need any work because I bought it finished years ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B3KiWm1IIAEHHKZ.jpg

This is the last one I finished, In Space Silver. My boyfriend bought me the kit for my birthday. The one next to it is MMPR Red, I finished that one a few years ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BS8Kb_1CIAAsNjd.jpg

Time Force Blue with a stunt visor.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRPjbWoCQAEnf4C.jpg

Wild Force Red with a clear visor before I tinted it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6dl9NcCEAAgEZX.jpg

MMPR Red just after I finished it, this was my Halloween costume a few years ago.

I also make custom figures. Some I've sold off, one or two have been given away. This one will always be one of my favourite sculptures. I made it from wire, foil and super sculpey.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BJ6jK0FCIAUyq7X.jpg

I also do a little storm chasing. I caught this over my house last year, turned into a good funnel cloud then vanished.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQWy33PCcAE3JeA.jpg

I love drawing and painting as well. I do digital sometimes but I love hand drawing stuff on paper or canvas. I also write a lot, but I keep what I write to myself.

There is the Lego thing as well, but I think I've added enough here :/

I also enjoy working on games. Right now we have just launched a kickstarter for our latest game:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1873107026/aviary-attorney/description

Damn, why is image linking from twitter disabled?

Where to start - I guess I'll just list them! (not in any order)

1. Video games

2. Reading

3. Photography

north_caught_by_canuckzd-d7m8eql.jpg

post-3404-0-14739800-1418583106_thumb.jp

4. Writing

5. Drawing (pencil and digitally)

Aero___Sketch_by_CanuckZD.jpg

danger__s_in_the_air_by_canuckzd-d4td249

uninvited_guest_by_canuckzd-d5jpl84.jpg

6. Digital manipulation/Photoshop

picklefish_by_canuckzd-d4iig0s.jpg

6. Sculpting (clay, paper mache, etc)

post-3404-0-41296900-1418583126_thumb.jp

7. Flight simulation (wish I could fly in real life!)

8. Camping

9. Fishing 

post-3404-0-42648000-1418583150_thumb.jp

^ This guy wasn't big enough to eat, so we threw him back. Looks like Suka wanted to eat him anyways, though!

I consider animals, the environment, animal welfare, etc to be my passion, not just a hobby, hence why I'm going to have a career in Ecology. :)

I used to volunteer at an animal rehab center:

post-3404-0-64887500-1418583187_thumb.jp

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Such a huge range in hobbies :D Interesting read, thanks :)

I'm not really into video games as such, but play minecraft more than I'd care to admit. I'd call animals a passion for me too, I've always had birds and family dogs through my life, and hopefully always will for the rest of it :)

Edited by Thingz

Wait, if you guys can include video games then I can include movies! YAY! Movies suddenly became a huge part of my life when my brother discovered Torrents LOL today you can barely shut me up when somebody brings up movies :) I sing a little bit too, but I'm not really a music person. I'm still very happy I get to sing for a forum member's wedding :D I'd do it again when another couple ties the knot surely.

Wait, if you guys can include video games then I can include movies! YAY! Movies suddenly became a huge part of my life when my brother discovered Torrents LOL today you can barely shut me up when somebody brings up movies :) I sing a little bit too, but I'm not really a music person. I'm still very happy I get to sing for a forum member's wedding :D I'd do it again when another couple ties the knot surely.

Ooh, I guess I never considered movies to be a hobby but...yeah, I like watching movies too! I usually have a set 'movie night' where literally all I do is order pizza and watch movies. :D

I used to do Tae Kwon Do, I'm a first Dan black belt and former Welsh champ for sparring. I want a new challenge now, possibly kick boxing!

I like art, sketching, watching motor cross, touring cars, superbikes/TT, watching rugby, volunteering at my local animal rescue, and doing the odd crazy thing like bungee jumping! I like going to tattoo conventions with my sister and and going on long walks on the hills with Astro to think about life. And cross stitching :)

I've always been too much of a sceptic to enjoy movies, any tiny hole in the plot or the movie itself just throws me off. I love TV shows like the IT crowd, family guy, big bang theory etc though :)

Zanki, just noticed the part in your post about storm chasing. I love the weather too and have been on a couple of chases, but we seldom get storms up here. We do get cyclones however, I went through cyclone Yasi back in 2011 and it had to have been one of the craziest experiences in my life. I was living at the end of a valley then so you could just hear the wind accelerating down towards you. Scary and awesome at the same time. Luckily we were a bit too far North to cop much damage.

Apart from hanging out with Ronin...

Iaido - Japanese swordsmanship - 4th Dan, challenging 5th Dan in Japan November 2015

Jodo - Japanese 4 foot staff - 4th Dan, challenging 5th Dan in Japan October 2015

Fishing

Archery - recurve and longbow, conservation hunting

Bonsai 

Canine health and nutrition and natural remedies.

Aquaria - but interest has waned since Ronin came into my life.

post-10021-0-53870400-1418266689_thumb.j

Edited by Jase

Basketball would be my top hobby/passion, play it at least once a week (as much as my knees let me  :( ), and NBA 2k video games whenever I can.

Snowboarding would be my second passion, can't wait for snow to fall, it's mixed with hiking as we don't go to ski resorts but enjoy the powder and off track riding. Can't say that we're very good at it (considering other youtube videos), but we enjoy it.

Other than that: mountainbiking, hiking, camping, enjoying the nature in general.

My hobbies are 

Cross stitch

This is one of my current projects

post-5861-0-52147100-1418300795_thumb.jp

Soap making 

post-5861-0-84015500-1418300972_thumb.jp

Raising poultry

post-5861-0-83462400-1418301082_thumb.jp

And raising goats 

post-5861-0-73798900-1418301235_thumb.jp