Advice Please For A Private Household In London...

privatehousehold

Good Morning/Evening,

This is a random and strange thread but I would love your expert advice on these beautiful creatures. It's actually a really pathetic argument but sadly, sometimes we work with adults with child like mentalities. 

I work for a private household in London. The owner has 2 huskies that we keep at his main residence which has security(security walk the dogs). 

The reason for the thread is, their is a clash of minds regarding when the ideal times to walk the dogs are and this thread will get printed out to show to the client/basically everyone so your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a timetable from the person who I question his/hers "thought process" but please tell me what you think:

06:30am - walk for 30/60 minutes

08:00am Breakfast

12:30pm: Walk for an hour
5:30pm - food

6:35pm - walk for 45 minutes

11:00pm - Walk for 20 minutes

(this is the one I have an issue with below)

04:00am - Walk

The person in question has told me "I have researched and worked out, due to the breed, the perfect time to walk the dogs so it must be followed".

I, as a dog owner all my life, I have never done or heard of waking a dog in the middle of his/her sleep to walk at 04:00am, bearing in mind, the dogs will be taken out 2 and half hours later.

I could be wrong and it might be productive to do this but please, point out if I'm wrong, Huskies need a lot of sleep and the main exercise should be during the day?

At night, they are left alone in a room, all the big parks are shut early in the winter so the walks from 7pm to basically the early morning, more of a stretch of the legs(never let off a lead during the night, run wild during the day) and loo break.  I see the 4am walks as completely and utterly useless and I don't feel its right to wake them up?

I said to the security guy, if the dog wakes up and stands by the door, starts moving around a lot, looking for attention then by all means, take them out whenever, regardless of the time.

I just think it's too military and that, like humans, we don't need to go to the loo/need exercise at exactly the same time, every night, it's not natural.

They are exercised well, fed good food and loved by everyone, myself included, I would appreciate your thoughts please on any of the timetable that you think needs to be looked at, especially the last few walking times.

Thank you.
E

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum. I don't see an issue with the schedule. If the routine is established, it would make more sense to keep with the routine as opposed to changing it.

Welcome to the forum.  :hello:

Most of the schedule is very good for the dogs, but the 4am one??? Forget that, I see no real benefit to waking the dog up for a walk at this time unless a later time is not possible due to an owners work commitments.  To be honest I would probably cut out the 11pm one too and increase the afternoon duration. I personally walk before the evening meal except for in Summer. Things are a little different in Australia where we have to contend with extreme heat in the summer so early morning (6am) and early evening (7-8 pm) might be the best times for me during the hottest time.

Guess it depends on their other commitments .. maybe they have to cut the earlier walks short for some reason? Pretty odd situation. Like Jase said though I have to plan my walks around when it's coolest. No doubt 4am would be a great time for a walk in that regard, but it's not happening for me :D But I'd imagine heat isn't really an issue in London at the moment. I usually go around 8pm in the evening.

Edited by Dan

Ok Not to worried about the regime then, if they were any younger I would say stop the length of time walking but not the frequency.  As for the 4 am walk.  I walk mine at about 6 am.

If they are healthy and are excited about the walks, then the 4 am walk is fine, (would not catch me doing it though to lazy).

all looks fine to me but I would cut out the 4 am walk esp if you would need to wake them up for this walk or if it is really needed just make it a short pee walk 5 mins tops...

oh and if you have time left on boxing day can you come and walk mine please....P :D

Hello.

To me the schedule seems fine though unecessary. It's not cruel to the dogs, as long as they are happy to be woken but if they were asleep I'd leave them.

Mine get walked late afternoon for up to an hour depending on weather and I like to get it done before it gets dark. Mine are then fed around 6pm followed by a wee break around 8pm (winter only).  I don't hear from mine until I get up at 6.30am in the week or 8.30am weekends when it gets light.

As they aren't your dogs I wouldn't worry, if the owner can afford to have someone take them out at that hour then they have more money than sense :)

While I agree the 4am walk does seem a little excessive, could it be that it's done from a security perspective rather than a dog perspective ?

I don't know you or your employer, I don't know the level of security that is required, but I do know that for some people/places it can be very high. Could it be that the 4am walk is used to take an unobtrusive look around the neighbourhood?. No matter how many cameras you have, there are always blind spots, and walking a dog (or two) is a great excuse to wander and stop and look around while the dogs pee etc.

Can I hazard a guess that the schedule change came after a new head of security started ?

I can understand your point that the dogs should only go out if they ask, but from the other side, IF a higher level of awareness is needed then a routine is essential.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

forgot to say thank you for all the advice. The problem has been rectified to something abit more dog friendly rather than waking up etc.

Sarahjng, good point and valid but not for this client, we live in central London so no garden and is surrounded by "town houses", the house has a state of the art security system, thermal imagery cameras with finger print readers, in fact, the whole street does. Without sounding bitchy, the Security Manager was just being difficult and has now been spoken too. 

Thank you all and from the dogs.

Great forum, lot of useful info. 

I tried to post a pic of the dogs but it wouldn't allow me sadly. 

Guys,

forgot to say thank you for all the advice. The problem has been rectified to something about more dog friendly rather than waking up etc.

Sarahjng, good point and valid but not for this client, we live in central London so no garden and is surrounded by "town houses", the house has a state of the art security system, thermal imagery cameras with finger print readers, in fact, the whole street does. Without sounding bitchy, the Security Manager was just being difficult and has now been spoken too. 

Thank you all and from the dogs.

Great forum, lot of useful info. 

I tried to post a pic of the dogs but it wouldn't allow me sadly. 

you'd be able to right after your fifth post :)

• 2 weeks later...

After my 5th post?

Well as a Thank you, here's my 6th post......

If anyone can guess the price of the house in the last pic, you will win a virtual pat on the back. Answers in £ please if possible. 200 acre estate with a boat house, gym, swimming pools x3, 10 bedrooms, staff houses for 10 staff. Have a guess. I will give you a clue, it's over £100 million pounds.

24DCCB15-CF58-4468-95C1-FE89019188E8_zps

657AE692-94DE-46BF-9D1A-E10071962B10_zps

Dogs1_zps7a03631e.jpg

C058C1CD-42F2-43B6-A7A3-8448C166CF0B_zps

And one to show you some of the places you live/work.....Luxurious life but 80+ hour weeks working.....
BCDEE5DF-664B-4914-AE95-84F0A637A2CB-927

Thanks all.

Hidden

4 am is fine for the dogs. The only thing that stops me from walking my dogs at 4 am is ME. Theres a good chance they will have plenty of opportunities to catch up on sleep anyhow during the day. I see no reason for it to be changed, if the security is happy to be walking them at that time.

I wish someone would tell ours that middle of the night walks are NOT necessary. They take it in turns getting 'us' up in the middle of the night and they are walked early evening and out for toilet break just before bed. I am a heavy sleeper so it is usually hubby that has to take them out but I have done so sometimes. It'snot every night just when we are really tired.

After my 5th post?

Well as a Thank you, here's my 6th post......

If anyone can guess the price of the house in the last pic, you will win a virtual pat on the back. Answers in £ please if possible. 200 acre estate with a boat house, gym, swimming pools x3, 10 bedrooms, staff houses for 10 staff. Have a guess. I will give you a clue, it's over £100 million pounds.

24DCCB15-CF58-4468-95C1-FE89019188E8_zps

657AE692-94DE-46BF-9D1A-E10071962B10_zps

Dogs1_zps7a03631e.jpg

C058C1CD-42F2-43B6-A7A3-8448C166CF0B_zps

And one to show you some of the places you live/work.....Luxurious life but 80+ hour weeks working.....

BCDEE5DF-664B-4914-AE95-84F0A637A2CB-927

Thanks all.

Gorgeous house! I take it that you work for some royal family? :o :O oh and they have lovely lovely dogs :wub: