What Are You Having For Christmas Dinner?

Mazz

For as long as I can remember, we have had roast prime rib of beef for Christmas dinner. I used to roast it in the oven, but for about the last ten years, I use the Weber Grill and slow roast it using indirect heat. Tomorrow morning, I am going to a local grocer's meat department to pick up the roast. I use a mixture of Kosher salt, garlic, marjoram, basil, thyme, and rosemary and make a paste with olive oil and pack the roast about two hours before putting it on the grill. It takes four to five hours on the grill. When the temp hits 130* F, I remove it from the grill, tent it in aluminum foil, and rest it for 20 minutes, slice and serve. Oh my mouth is already watering. Sally makes twice baked potatoes and one or two other sides. Sometimes we have cheese cake, but I think this year it will be red velvet cake for dessert.

So what are you having for Christmas dinner?

Here's a video from a previous Christmas dinner.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having what you're having :)  What time should I be there  :P

Every year I go to my parent's house, since we have had the dogs I take Nikko and after breakfast and presents we go to my aunts house where we have ham, scalloped potatoes and a bunch of sides.  But your dinner sounds better ;)

We tend to mix it up a bit, turkey, beef etc, depends what I feel like when we go shopping.  The past 2 years we've had capon and it's been really tasty, so that's what we'll have this year.  

We tend to be quite laid back about our dinner and dinner times, especially as we now have dogs. Could be 3pm or 7pm when we eat, it's ready when it's ready :)

Sounds nice Dave...need to check how much the flights are...

we are having turkey, duck, homecooked ham, roast pots, mash and knowing Di about 6 different veggies cheese sauce and gravy... and for desert icecream and she has something else in the planning...LOL.. 

Very traditional all here;

Roasted turkey crown, maple glazed ham (homemade), piggies in blankets, roasted parsnips (as they come, none of this honeyed shenanigans), sprouts, colcannon, roast potatoes (in dripping not duck fat), Yorkshire puddings, stuffing and my wonderful gravey made with meat juices and homemade stock.

I always have bread sauce and cranberry, but Mitch just has it as it comes, I can't wait, it's my favourite dinner of the year that doesn't really taste the same at any other time????

Our dinner is the usual Turkey ham and pork with all the trimmings, but on Boxing Day it's my wife's favourite, bubble and squeak with cold meat and pickles

Mmmmm I love bubble and squeaky, particularly with ham and eggs! Think I might do that Boxing Day, thanks for the heads up!

i'm always a bit stuck at xmas because I don't like traditional xmas food too much.  We'll probably do a bit of chicken and beef for xmas this year (and i'll pretend the chicken is turkey, lol).   Dessert is going to be a bit harder to work out though. 

ohhh no  love them...just bought 1,5 kilos of it..quick boil with a bit of sugar yummy... :D

If any end up on my plate xmas day. . .I'll keep them and bring them to camp for you :D

uhhmmmmm waiting 5 months for them...ok if you keep them in your fridge :D

I'll pop them back in the pan and keep them on a low simmer they'll still be hard :P

Sad to say, we have a fairly strict routine for Christmas, we go to my mum's every year, and so does my Nan. She's nearly 95 and pretty set in her ways, so everything is done to her timetable, ( we did try to change it around one year, she moaned until March and every year she `reminds` us of it lol)

It's church, Turkey, Christmas pudding, THEN presents, then afternoon tea with Christmas cake, then nibbles, then more tea, then she goes home !!!!!

Edited as I read it and it looks like we go to church lol, she's a deacon, our house is a combination of pagan and atheist !

It'll be turkey.

(but you can keep the devils testicles. . . aka Brussels sprouts) :P

I love the wee devils Testicles.   Bit of butter, lightly cooked. Yum Yum.  Goes well with whatever the other half is cooking me. :D  Pork and Turkey and lamb prob.  and lots and lots of vegtables.  Be honest I'd just eat bread sause and gravy and all the veg. with lots of horse raddish and pepper.

Sad to say, we have a fairly strict routine for Christmas, we go to my mum's every year, and so does my Nan. She's nearly 95 and pretty set in her ways, so everything is done to her timetable, ( we did try to change it around one year, she moaned until March and every year she `reminds` us of it lol)

It's church, Turkey, Christmas pudding, THEN presents, then afternoon tea with Christmas cake, then nibbles, then more tea, then she goes home !!!!!

Edited as I read it and it looks like we go to church lol, she's a deacon, our house is a combination of pagan and atheist !

Presents after dinner, that's just crazy talk! I'm up at about 6, champagne in hand and bugging OH to get up to open presents, I get sooooooo excited! It will be easier this year though, I'll just break the rules and let the dogs in lol

Me and my mum will be having chicken or a very small Turkey! With veg, pigs in blankets and all the usual :) And my veggie sister will be having Quorn! For dessert I will probably have creme brûlée [emoji4] and I'll take a doggy bag of meat and veg home for Astro

Whatever I cook myself I guess :( 

Father and brother are heading down South to stay with my other brother, I have Loki so that wasn't really an option so I'm driving up North to visit my mum (which I do fairly often). She already has plans to stay overnight somewhere with stepdad and friends, so I think it'll just be Loki and myself for dinner :( I love roast pork though, maybe I'll get a small one and share it with Loki :wub: Then maybe go for a nice walk and check out all the lights around the place. And maybe make myself a baked cheesecake. Or something along those lines .. :)