What Are You Having For Christmas Dinner?

Mazz

I'm making one of our traditional family holiday meals,  Ham Pot Pie  (Pennsylvania Dutch Meal)  My father grew up on the family farm and back then with a large family they had to make large meals for little cost,so this was handed down over the years,  , , so I roast a ham, or left over ham from before, , roasting it with water, the water will be flavored by the ham after a few hours , then I cube up the ham,  add sliced potatoes to the water n ham, and then I add the best part, the dough, a very easy flour, oil, water dough, rolled out in a big sheet, kinda thick , then I cut into shapes of squares , then slowly add to the ham, potatoes and water, fold in and as it all cooks it starts to thicken to a nice ham gravy, but the best is the dough will absorb the water/ham flavor ,  I know it sounds weird, but its hard to stop eating it, lol  so I guess its more like a stew , but not,  and no crust.  so its a full meal in one pot.   and I'm making a lemon meringue pie, Yum!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh lemon meringue pie! I love lemon meringue pie. The ham hot pie sounds delicious.

Turkey, roast potatoes, sprouts, sausages, stuffing and gravy for me. There will probably be other veg on the table but I won't eat them.

I haven't decided what pudding to make yet, but it will probably be cheesecake or pavlova - Mum has made Xmas pud but I don't really like that.

What are we having for Christmas dinner? Here's a list....

Appetizers:

- probably some sort of soup or salad. Usually its a salad.

- A cheese plate, probably with some italian deli meats.

Dinner:

- 'Nona's shrimp' (a secret family recipe involving LOTS of shrimp and tomato paste). 
- a huge Turkey + cranberries + stuffing

- Mashed potatoes

- Carrots with butter

- a Whole chicken (with rosemary) and mushrooms

- Spinach with garlic

And for dessert:

- Pumpkin pie

- Lemon meringue pie

- Birthday cake (for me!)

Its a tradition to have Nona's shrimp for all holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc). I look forward to Nona's shrimp more than the turkey or anything else. 

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Our dinner is the usual Turkey ham and pork with all the trimmings, but on Boxing Day it's my wife's favourite, bubble and squeak with cold meat and pickles

Ditto! Dinner at the i laws then Boxing Day with my grandparents- my grandad makes an awesome bubble & squeak! I don't realy like turkey much but it's Christmas so I still eat it every year, just put half a pot of cranberry on it, sorted!