Hi All, Meet Odin!

Mastodon

Another new member here. Mrs Mastodon and I picked up this little blue-eyed devil in late October. He's about 13 weeks old now, and very puppy. Plays hard and sleeps harder.

He's currently off at a puppy "boot camp" boarding school, and we won't see him again until just after the holidays. We miss him, but know he'll be a much better behaved pup for it. And in the meantime we can live vicariously through you all and look at all of the gorgeous Huskies here.

post-12641-0-54044800-1418999562_thumb.j

post-12641-0-51126200-1418999636_thumb.j

post-12641-0-94578800-1418999671_thumb.j

post-12641-0-86121800-1418999695_thumb.j

Thanks guys.

Knowing how stubborn or independent this breed can be, we wanted a good foundation for our little guy from the get-go. The wife and I both work and, while she works from home and I have a flexible schedule, we felt our schedules weren't very conductive to puppy training. The pup doesn't know what "give me just a moment" means when we're in the middle of something, and training and obedience shouldn't be the type of thing that's done when we have nothing else happening. Some friends of ours recommended the concept of a boarding school to us after taking their rescues to one. Their dogs had come from an abusive home and had a lot of negative habits, and after their training the dogs seemed night and day different. 

So, after some time looking for a place here in Texas, we came across Hilton Butler. He's a former Air Force working dog trainer and handler, and so he knows how to train large energetic working dogs, and does it so well that he's now training service/assistance dogs too. Since I'm Air Force myself, and have seen how those dogs are trained, treated, and cared for personally, I felt a lot of bias towards him and kinda quit looking at other places. Since talking with him, I (and most importantly: the wife) felt even more at ease in surrendering our pup to him for the 4 week course. And since we were going to have to give the pup to someone while we traveled for the holidays, it might as well be a place that benefits him instead of simply keeping him in a kennel.

Must of been a hard decision to do this, but it seems very well thought through.  I can see the benefit.  Lots of dogs that are rescued come pre trained.  So my first thought was, aww but where is your bond building, followed by the rescue thought scenario.  The love will be built and I think this is a good idea, especially given the  confidence (and the history) you have in this guy.  

Wish I could of sent my hooman kids to boot camp, so they came back potty trained and obedient, think it might of taken more than 4 weeks though.  :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

We picked him back up a little over a week ago now. My, how he's grown in that time! We tried to pose him as much like he was in the earlier one, but it's easier to say than do.

0c4e70b54e73d89b94dff085e44f0f43.jpg

I'm very pleased at how the training went. He's a very well behaved pup now. No more nipping or bitting at us. When we have friends over, he'll now sit and wait for them to pet him, instead of jumping up excitedly, and throughout the time they're here he'll lay quietly and do his own thing instead of begging for attention. I can even have a tasty pizza or other food on the coffee table in front of him, and he'll ignore it.

642d9a0945c4b200c8575499835bc327.jpg

Basic commands, like "sit" or "down", are pretty much flawless whether we're at home or out at the pet store. Other things, like "out", "off", and "leave it" work far more often than they don't. "Stay" and "come" still work better indoors than out, but he 's getting there.

All in all, we're very pleased with the training. Is he perfect now? No, he's still very much a puppy, but he's drastically better than when we dropped him off. Some of that comes from the trainer, who had trained military working dogs for 14 years, and some is just Odin being himself. Whenever we do a training session now, he's focused on us and what we're doing, versus his typical short attention span. He clearly loves to work, and I can't wait for him to get older where I can start running with him.

• 1 month later...