My Wedding Company Went Bust :o(

Carly

As some of you might know Mitch and I are having a "proper" wedding in Las Vegas next October, we booked and paid the deposit in June this year (£650), however i have found out today that the company we booked through have not only gone bust (in August!!!) but the ATOL number they advertise is for a completely different company and we can't claim!!!

The bank won't help me because i didn't pay on a credit card so now i have to re-plan and re-book and find that missing £650 all over again. Mitch is absolutely fuming, how he is still sat at work and not winging his way down the motorway to smash the planners head in i have no idea.

I on the other hand have been on the phone all morning (good job its quiet at work) and have now logged a fraud claim with the police, reported it to watch dog and sent an email to ATOL on the off chance they might feel sorry for me, given the time of year and everything and help me?

Other than that i have just cried, it's not such a happy christmas afterall.....

:cry1:

Edited by Carly

I didn't pay by credit card  :(

I think we're just going to have to write the money off, mark it off to experience and start again in the New Year. I've done my tears now so i'm just going to pull my socks up, enjoy Christmas and look forward to planning again  :)

Mitch on the other hand is still fuming, so it's gong to be an interesting evening......

This sucks, so sorry babes, let's hope karma is wearing studded boots when she kicks them in the crotch !

This may sound a bit odd, but did you actually have a wedding reservation at one of the big hotels ? If so it might be worth contacting them, perhaps you could get some money knocked off or a free upgrade, along the lines of, we may have to cancel our dream wedding as they stole our money, been saving for years, only ever wanted to get married at your hotel etc etc, I don't suppose either of you are ex forces, as I know there are some massive discounts in the states for veterans.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, means a lot xx

This sucks, so sorry babes, let's hope karma is wearing studded boots when she kicks them in the crotch !

This may sound a bit odd, but did you actually have a wedding reservation at one of the big hotels ? If so it might be worth contacting them, perhaps you could get some money knocked off or a free upgrade, along the lines of, we may have to cancel our dream wedding as they stole our money, been saving for years, only ever wanted to get married at your hotel etc etc, I don't suppose either of you are ex forces, as I know there are some massive discounts in the states for veterans.

That's a fab idea!

I am sorry to hear this.

Have you considered suing the directors? They can be held personally responsible if there were fraudulent transactions which they knew about (e.g. using a fake ATOL number). I would suggest going to see a lawyer, who should give you a free initial consultation and let you know if you have a case. You may then be able to take the case through the Small Claims Track of the County Court yourself.

http://www.taylorwessing.com/synapse/duties_personal_liabilities.html

http://www.inhouselawyer.co.uk/index.php/fraud-and-corporate-crime/10073-consent-and-connivance-the-criminal-liability-of-directors-and-senior-officers