Holiday Blues

kper

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Ok, down to business....

Our husky, Ahna, seems to be in a real slump since our daughter moved out and took her pit with her. Our daughter's pit, Maddy, is older and entering the "retirement" phase of life so she doesn't keep up with Ahna much of the time but, they were buds.

The family spends time with her but when we aren't directing all of our attention towards her she mopes.... and mopes big time. Ears are always back as if she's in a huge frump. For example, check out this picture of her from last night.

DSC_0127_zps9a7b5b0f.jpg

We've tried bikejouring but she seems happier to simply walk. She and I head to the local campground in the winter, when it's empty, several times a week to chase squirrels and I take her with me on car rides when I can and she goes outside with me always to play. We've had nothing but huskies for the past 30+ years and this one is the most sensitive and certainly the most moody. 

We've been told to get a play mate for her but I'm not sure if we're ready for that. She only seems to be truly happy with me. I'm not sure if it's because I spent 3 days visiting her in the shelter before we could take her home or what but, she latched onto me from the beginning even though she loves the entire family - especially the granddaughter. If I could direct my attention 100% in her direction 24 hours a day she would finally be happy.

Breaks my heart. Man, do I really need to find another pocket husky? Arrrrg. 

:-)

Aww poor Ahna..   Our Husky Noah has so the vets tells us developed OCD due to stress, but in our case it appears to because we have added 2 new pups to our pack and he had a slight scratch to his paw to focus on.  They suggested an Aptimal collar and this seems to be working, he has stopped worrying his paw and  is sitting downstairs.

First time he has settled downstairs in a while with the pups being allowed in the front room.  This is my daughter making him feel loved today.

I would suggest a visit to the vets just to rule out any underlying health probs though. X

post-12200-0-46705000-1419527344.jpg

Mydiamond, is sure is difficult to watch.

She developed some pretty bad breath in the last week or so and we'll be heading to the vet soon to make sure it isn't something we need to address. We traveled a few days ago and made sure to place her bed close to the front seats and gave her a couple things she likes, like her blanket and a chewy. Rear seats were down in the van, with luggage and all, and she still chose to sit behind her bed facing the back of the van, with ears back, for most of the 4 and a half hour trip. Even with occasional pets and interaction, she only perked up when we reached our destination and even that was short lived. Poor girl.

Ok I know this is not the same but I know when my Rabbits and G pigs do not feel well they turn there back to me.  so I would def suggest get to the vets for a health check. just to be on the safe side. X wishing Ahna well.   > X . You say she is from a shelter. x So only time with lots of love maybe all she needs. X?

Sarah sulks like that on occasion. If it's a constant thing, I'd suggest a vet trip just to make sure all is well on the physical front. Assuming no physical problems, Ahna has to learn how to be content when she isn't constantly stimulated. Like everything about Sibes, it takes some time. Sarah has always been an only dog so we've never been through separation issues but she sulks when I take something away from her or won't allow her to do what she wants. I don't know about other Siberians but Sarah is convinced she's human and she displays emotions just like the rest of us. When she doesn't like something we do, she assumes that very same attitude and sticks with it until she either gets over it or is convinced that we aren't going to change our minds.

If Ahna is behaving normally when you're focused on/playing with her, and sulking when she has to occupy herself, a mix of a little more attention plus some new and fascinating toys might help her get past this phase.

Ahna! You certainly know how to worry your papa.

I wanted to provide you with some insight from Ryn..........whom I thought 'needed' a sister (hence Petunia's arrival 1 1/2 years ago)....

Ryn was most happy before Tunes arrival. I have come to understand that she was happiest as an only child. She plays with Tunes on occasion, but they are not close. At least now how I had hoped. Ryn is pretty jealous of any attention I give to Tunes and can be a bully to her.

That said, perhaps she does need a friend to help her transition. It's such a dilemma.

She has been in a frump for a couple months... ever since her bud moved out. When she wasn't getting attention from one of us, she was chewing on her roommate and instigating trouble. Lol. She almost demands attention when I'm home (we've been very close since her rescue) and I give her as much of my time as possible.

One thing I need to add is she is very jealous of me. She'll verbally chew us out when the mrs and I hug. She has always followed me throughout the house, makes sure I'm always within view and sleeps on her pillow next to my side of the bed. This would be the one thing that would make me nervous of getting a second dog. Well, that and the fact I'm not sure I want another one.

She has a vet appt Friday for a breath issue and I'll ask about her depression.

Just returned from the vet. Turns out her bad breath is from infection due to slab fractures of both her lower large molars. They will both have to be pulled as there is no repair possible. I suppose she is in some amount of pain - she hasn't been chewing on her rawhides like normal and we've had to add water to her kibble to get her to eat it the last couple weeks.