Frustrated New Sibe Owner

Tsnyderkc

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people make those comments about Sarah I tell them that it took two years of constant, every minute of every day training to get her to this point and I have to reinforce commands regularly to ensure that she doesn't decide she can ignore me now. Sibes simply do not train the same way that other breeds train. Most people don't believe it at first but I keep at it in hopes that people who think they want a Sibe think hard about it before getting one. I can't stand to see all the abandoned Sibes.

I feel bad when folks get a husky and expect it to automatically act like my girls. When we are out and people do the "I want one." I always remind them that what they are seeing is the end result of continuous work with them.

It used to be that there were few Sibes in our area. Now you can't turn around without seeing six or eight of them. Usually  without any sign of training.........Makes me ill as I know it won't be long before I see them tied out in a back yard praying for attention.

It's wonderful when vets comprehend the work that goes in to them!

The first time Dr. Strom saw her, he walked in with an expression like, "oh boy, here we go." Sarah was on a sit-stay command and Dr. Strom stared at her for a moment, then asked me if she was really sick (we were there for an annual exam and vaccinations.) I responded no, she's waiting for me to tell her she can get up and go to him. The expression on his face was priceless! Throughout the visit he repeatedly commented on how calm and well-behaved she is, and at the end he told me that in fifteen years of veterinary work he'd never seen a trained Siberian. It's not like we have a lot of Sibes around here but there are some and according to all the vet techs and the doc, not one has visited the office without being completely out of control until Sarah. I've had discussions with the doc about how I train and manage her, and he said someone ought to write a book so other Sibe owners can get a clue.

I feel bad when folks get a husky and expect it to automatically act like my girls. When we are out and people do the "I want one." I always remind them that what they are seeing is the end result of continuous work with them.

It used to be that there were few Sibes in our area. Now you can't turn around without seeing six or eight of them. Usually  without any sign of training.........Makes me ill as I know it won't be long before I see them tied out in a back yard praying for attention.

You and me both. :(

• 2 weeks later...