New Puppies ???

sarahjng

Hidden

You see them now because people want Holiday puppies. They get and give them as gifts and then dump them. Spring is for shelters and dog trainers, summer is for groomers when these people realize their dog sheds. Responsible breeders do not sell puppies for the holidays and most will hold a litter until January.

This is true. But I think most of us on here are for the long haul. It is sad to see the after xmas deluge of puppies needing rescue from ill thought out presents. But as a puppy owner of two it would be interesting to see how they are developing. :-) bit like diary we can all go back to. And maybe help others with their pups and the trials tribulations and the sheer joy of seeing them grow to maturity. X

You see them now because people want Holiday puppies. They get and give them as gifts and then dump them. Spring is for shelters and dog trainers, summer is for groomers when these people realize their dog sheds. Responsible breeders do not sell puppies for the holidays and most will hold a litter until January.

So true, and its a shame :(

Is it just me (becouse I'm puppy hungry) or does there seem to be a lot of new puppies here lately ? It might be I never noticed before, but there seems to be loads, I love it ! Can we have a thread just for puppy pictures please mods ?

In answer to this, I have no problem with "Peoples puppy pics" kind of topics but would be very reluctant to allow a topic dedicated to people who have puppy litters for obvious reasons as this would only serve purpose for advertising.

I have been very broody for a puppy for about a month now but it's just not the right time.  My three have just about gelled after 5 odd months and to introduce another would be very selfish of me.

I'm a big advocate of rescuing so that also affects me getting a pup.  Maybe one day :)

Hidden

For any puppy you should build a relationship with your breeder. Wait for the right puppy, not the right now puppy. 

Heck as someone on our wait list learned, the breeder you first build a relationship with may not even be the person you end up with the puppy from!

Responsible breeders DO talk. We let each other know when someone may have a buyer more suited to certain dogs, or when someone new is in the blacklist, and even when someone is asking for puppies from multiple breeders. In one case, a girl has been blacklisted from many breeders' lists after being given all the tips on buying responsibly, Siberians, and spitz in general,  and then went and bought a four week old GSD from a byb who told her they were weaned so they were ready. She had no breed knowledge, no idea how to care for a puppy that could barely regulate his own temperature, and also had to be given sup milk. She may be trusted with a puppy one day, but not today.

In answer to this, I have no problem with "Peoples puppy pics" kind of topics but would be very reluctant to allow a topic dedicated to people who have puppy litters for obvious reasons as this would only serve purpose for advertising.

I totally understand where your coming from, but I wasn't thinking of litters, but puppies that have been bought/adopted/rescued by members. As Kati said, it would be lovely to have a place, not just for pictures but for everything they get up to (perhaps not piddle pictures lol)

I totally understand where your coming from, but I wasn't thinking of litters, but puppies that have been bought/adopted/rescued by members. As Kati said, it would be lovely to have a place, not just for pictures but for everything they get up to (perhaps not piddle pictures lol)

So start a topic then LOL .. It is a forum after all.

I guess I can't speak for everyone on here with a puppy but my pup happened to be a holiday pup simply out of timing.  My husband and I had made the decision to get a husky two plus years ago, visitited the breeder and her dogs, and put down a deposit.  We turned down the opportunity for several litters because the timing wasn't right.  Despite it being this time of year, everything just fell into place that she was available and exactly what we were looking for.  In fact, we had a long conversation before getting her about how it would play out over the chaos of the holidays. 

Yes, I think you see a lot of puppies this time of year in general because people get them thinking it's a great idea or great gift.  And the sad fact is that many will end up in shelters once the puppy cuteness wears off.  But I've done my homework and have experience with huskies so I'm definitely in it for the long haul.  If we get a puppy topic started, I'll be happy to post some pics of my girl!