Going Abroad: Hello Norway!

BlueWolf

My college is done and I'm having plenty of time to start thinking what I want to do with my future. Eventually I would really like to move to Norway but I have to achieve this is multiple steps. First of all, I need to find a job. But how do you find a job in a remote country when you're not there? Easy: Be there! So with this message I'd like to announce that I'm going to make a giant road trip through Norway... This summer!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This is both a holiday for myself (my reward for having finished college) while also be on the lookout for jobs in Norway. In January I'll be starting a job in a factory. Not very interesting work but it pays well enough for me to fund all of this. Somewhere in the summer (I've not decided on the exact date yet), I'll be off to Norway. For how long? I really don't know. Either until I get bored or when money runs out. I'm not making any promises to myself or others. If after two weeks I'm done there, that's fine. Though I could also easily be there for a couple of months. Who knows? That's the journey! :)

I'm very VERY excited that I'm able to do this. I have the opportunity to do this now and it will probably not get something like this in the future. I have to give up a few other things but hopefully only temporary. I don't need much. Give me a car and a tent and I'm fine. You can camp in Norway where ever you want, as long as you're not in the direct sight of a house. And even if I'm staying at a camping site I don't need much either. I'm guessing the only real expensive thing here is the car.

Norway is a big country, but I'm thinking to at least going all the way up to Trømsø. Which is all the way up in the Arctic and is basically sleddog centre. If I want to do anything husky related work in the future, that's the place to be. Other than that I still have ideas but not anything solid yet. I want to make a plan somewhere in the next few weeks but it will probably turn out to be a mix of planned things and just seeing where ever I'm going to end up being while I'm there :)

I'm going to buy a Norwegian sim card so I'm able to contact the companies I'm interested in while I'm there, while also having a internet connection to do research on them and planning my way. I'm thinking of maybe keeping a journey of my travels to Norway on this forum while I'm there. Anyone that would be interested in reading that? :)

Anyway, long story short. I'm going to Norway for an unknown amount of time and I AM EXCITED and I cannot wait!!  :lol:  :lol:

That sounds like a brilliant idea ! I'd read it. I'm frantically trying to resist the urge to say be careful. I know your an adult but .. survival kit, survival blanket, spare phone battery fully charged, thermals, emergency food, (I'm a worrier lol)

Want to see me really panic ? My girls studying animal care, in a few years she wants to go overseas and work in conservation/rescue with big cats. A friend (yeah right !) offered the other night to make some introductions `back home` where her father is a tour guide, great apart from the fact that `back home` is NAMIBIA !

That sounds like a brilliant idea ! I'd read it. I'm frantically trying to resist the urge to say be careful. I know your an adult but .. survival kit, survival blanket, spare phone battery fully charged, thermals, emergency food, (I'm a worrier lol)

Want to see me really panic ? My girls studying animal care, in a few years she wants to go overseas and work in conservation/rescue with big cats. A friend (yeah right !) offered the other night to make some introductions `back home` where her father is a tour guide, great apart from the fact that `back home` is NAMIBIA !

Don't worry. If I haven't already, I'll get it all sorted by the time :) I can charge my equipment (including my phone) in my car. And even if that fails I have an external power bank. But to be honest, in certain places in Norway it's easier to run out of phone coverage than to run out of battery juice  :rolleyes:  (yeah okay, that probably won't make you any less worried, lol)

There was someone at my college that did an abroad internship throughout Africa (for animal care too). According to her the best thing she's ever done :)

LOL Jos is the most organised person on earth. He will have everything he needs LOL.

Good luck to you anyways Jos. Its a brave decision to make and I hope it all works out the way you planned

I have recently moved to Narvik 4 hours from Tromsø from England... Hardest thing I have ever done. I have family here but it's been really hard for me as the police hadn't given me the correct forms and I was told the incorrect information.

But it is a lovely place and Tromsø is an amazing place!

I would recommend trying to get in contact with the police ect to make sure u have all the right forms ect.

Feel free to message me if u want to know anything :) good luck!!

Don't worry. If I haven't already, I'll get it all sorted by the time :) I can charge my equipment (including my phone) in my car. And even if that fails I have an external power bank. But to be honest, in certain places in Norway it's easier to run out of phone coverage than to run out of battery juice  :rolleyes:  (yeah okay, that probably won't make you any less worried, lol)

There was someone at my college that did an abroad internship throughout Africa (for animal care too). According to her the best thing she's ever done :)

NO NOT REALLY ! as for powering up from the car, what if the car breaks down ? Maybe tow a small one behind lol, yes as I said, I'm a worrier sad I know. Ignore the crazy lady and have a wonderful adventure, keep us updated on what's happening with lots of pictures.

As for the whole Africa thing, it would be a life changing experience, learning, culture, yada yada yada, she's not 18 yet ( ok her birthday is tuesday, but not yet !) And it's NAMIBIA, that's not just a different country, it's a different continent, a long, long way away.

If I worry a little about you, a full grown male I've never even met, how bad do you think I'd be with her lol

I'd definatley read that thread! That sounds like an amazing adventure. I'm a big fan of adventures and spontaneous journeys to see what you can discover so I'm a little envious I'll be honest! :)

Good luck with the trip. I look forward to hearing about it :D

NO NOT REALLY ! as for powering up from the car, what if the car breaks down ? Maybe tow a small one behind lol, yes as I said, I'm a worrier sad I know. Ignore the crazy lady and have a wonderful adventure, keep us updated on what's happening with lots of pictures.

As for the whole Africa thing, it would be a life changing experience, learning, culture, yada yada yada, she's not 18 yet ( ok her birthday is tuesday, but not yet !) And it's NAMIBIA, that's not just a different country, it's a different continent, a long, long way away.

If I worry a little about you, a full grown male I've never even met, how bad do you think I'd be with her lol

I have an external power bank which means I can fully recharge my phone multiple times with its battery. Don't worry, technology wise I got it all sorted  :rolleyes:

I'd definatley read that thread! That sounds like an amazing adventure. I'm a big fan of adventures and spontaneous journeys to see what you can discover so I'm a little envious I'll be honest! :)

Good luck with the trip. I look forward to hearing about it :D

I honestly can't wait to read what I'm going to write either!!  :rofl:

remember Jos still got a tent here for you should you wish to use it... :D

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!! That may actually be quite useful to me. My previous tent broke down in the middle of storm up on a mountain so I *do* need to get me a new one if we don't have any others lying around here. I'll come back on this! :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that!! That may actually be quite useful to me. My previous tent broke down in the middle of storm up on a mountain so I *do* need to get me a new one if we don't have any others lying around here. I'll come back on this! :)

Not a problem...:P

• 1 month later...