First Time Husky Owner

caitlin_mcgowan90

Hi everyone! My name is Caitlin and I'm a 24 year old student at Georgia Southern University. My husband and myself own a 11 month old husky named Goomba, a 5 year old lab mix named Ollie and a beautiful calico cat named Pikachu. Goomba has officially begun his first coat blow out and as he won't sit still long enough for me to brush him very well, any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, my boy loves to play with both people, my other dog, and my cat... Ok, well maybe he enjoys harassing the cat. I always knew huskies were high maintenance and expensive, but at the end of the day, the love and affection they give you is worth it all. I couldn't have asked for a better fur baby. Oh, has anyone had a successful experience with their husky in puppy training? I know that huskies can understand the commands but often do as they please anyways so I was wondering if it was worth a try before I (potentially) throw away a couple of hundred dollars? Thanks!

post-12689-0-52787600-1419808949_thumb.j

post-12689-0-16525700-1419809132_thumb.j

post-12689-0-53942400-1419809175_thumb.j

Welcome! I took my boy to puppy preschool which was interesting, but honestly it's something you can easily do yourself. I was more interested in the socialization side of it as I didn't really know any other dogs I could socialize him with, and wasn't gonna take him to a dog park at that age. #1 thing is persistence. They'll completely ignore you occasionally but obviously just don't ever reward them for doing it. It's just how they are :)

Welcome, what a lovely fur family !

As for brushing, you can cheat and treat,( get someone else to slowly feed treats while you frantically brush) my boy is a little odd, he likes to chew on my thumb while I brush him, I know it sounds odd, and trust me can lead to some strange positions trying to do his butt, (he's a big boy lol) I know some people here use a pet blaster but I haven't so can't really say too much about it, might be worth asking though

Hidden

With sibes I highly suggest behavior based training and definitely no force training. If you are in GA my trainer may know someone to recommend you, since she lived there for a while. She is in Simpsonville, SC with The Puppy Nanny. Anna Abney. Give them a call and talk to her about the style of training they do and if they know anyone in your area. 

Welcome to Husky-Owners. We use a blow dryer to stip loose fur. The dogs love it. Of course we only do this outside.

post-322-0-57971400-1419815844.jpg

Hello and welcome :)

As I'm based in France I've never looked into training as my dogs don't speak French :)

I do simple training myself at home, though with 3 dogs it can be challenging.  I find walking them individually really helps and treats is also a good way, as long as they are food driven.  Repetition and consistancey is a must, if more than one person walks a dog the same commands must be used.

Hi and welcome!  You already gotten some good advice about the training so I'll just say hello!  :)  As someone who used to live in GA (close to Atlanta) I will tell you how jealous I am that you are only about 30 minutes from Savannah-one of my favorite vacation spots.  I hope you enjoy your time here and continue to get some great information!

Welcome!!!!

I work in a grooming salon/daycare, and I've found that baths and a good groom is the most effective way too keep all that coat out. I know not everyone has access to self baths, but if you find a place that does; a nice bath and blow dry (hi-velocity dryers may be a good investment) will do the trick.

Also a furminator is honestly godsent, little pricey but we love love loooove this brush. I'm not sure if it's just a Canadian thing, but I honestly believe every husky owner needs one...Or six.

[EDIT]

FURminator is also good for restless pups as I found it's a lot more gentle than regular brushes. We especially use it on hi-anxiety dogs, because a lot of other brushes have longer bristles which tend to make them more fidgety. 

Hi everyone! My name is Caitlin and I'm a 24 year old student at Georgia Southern University. My husband and myself own a 11 month old husky named Goomba, a 5 year old lab mix named Ollie and a beautiful calico cat named Pikachu. Goomba has officially begun his first coat blow out and as he won't sit still long enough for me to brush him very well, any tips/hints would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, my boy loves to play with both people, my other dog, and my cat... Ok, well maybe he enjoys harassing the cat. I always knew huskies were high maintenance and expensive, but at the end of the day, the love and affection they give you is worth it all. I couldn't have asked for a better fur baby. Oh, has anyone had a successful experience with their husky in puppy training? I know that huskies can understand the commands but often do as they please anyways so I was wondering if it was worth a try before I (potentially) throw away a couple of hundred dollars? Thanks!

Hi! I'm not too far from you geographically. Make sure to mark yourself on the map, we need more southern Sibes!

I did Sarah's training myself because every trainer I met insisted that Siberians can not be obedience trained. I know better and decided to do it on my own. If you can find one who isn't prejudiced against Siberians, it could be quite helpful.

Furminators should never be used on Siberian Huskies. They are designed like stripping blades and can easily cut the coat. 

I've never had that problem, I guess you need to be very careful and make sure not to brush in the same spot. But same goes for every brush? Maybe it's just my own experience, but I've never had it cut the coat??

Welcome to the forum  :hello:

Regarding training, it is my personal opinion that it is a must. I have never heard of a good trainer (in Australia at least) say that you can't train a Husky. When I looked around all of the good ones have heaps of experience with Huskies. The more training you can do now will pay tenfold in the years to come  :)

Regarding the Furminator - I would never use one, I have to wonder why there would be a blade on it if it was not intended to cut or shred.

I like the forced hair blower like Mazz showed and an assortment of comb, non-bladed rake, and a high quality pin brush and slicker - I say high quality like Chris Christensen or Ashley Craig  as they will have polished ends and not cause discomfort or irritation.

I have used a Furminator in the past, but found it snagging the outer coat, which made brushing an uncomfortable experience. There is a brush used for horses, I think it may be called an equine brush. Have found that to work well during periods when the under coat is not in the blow mode.

I guess it may be because my guy has an odd coat texture (it's really fine, and sleek) I haven't found a problem. 

Also are you talking about a curry brush? It's for horses and I have used it a few times for loosening undercoat?

• 2 weeks later...