Too Soon??

kelly.e.gaskill

Hello guys! For those of you that saw my introduction post you will have seen that myself and my partner got our first Husky from a rescue centre back on the 13th of November 2014 he is a 14 month old male and even in that short space of time it has become apparent he loves being around other big dogs. We are fortunate to have friends who breed Northan Inuits and Logan is at his happiest when in their company even to the point where he sulks when theyve gone away or pulls dramaticly to say hello to any other dog on the street. Also myself and Nick both work so even though we have dog walkers that go in twice on the 4 days we are both in i still worry about him being lonely the couple of hourse inbetween that he is alone. Because of this we have decided we would like another Husky and when ever we had discussed it it had always been in the distant future however recently a friend of a friend has contacted me to say she is having to rehome her pure white husky as she is going back to work after maternity leave. He is also a 1 year old male husky. The problem is my boyfriend thinks it is far to early to be getting another Dog when Logan is still settling in! So i was wondering if anyone had any advice of experiance about this that could help?? Thanks

In an ideal world there would be a significant gap between getting another new addition so that you could help to bond with, settle and train your first furbaby.   However sometimes it doesn't work out like that.  There was a 3 month gap between me getting Bear and Ice and it was pretty hard going at first.  Eventually things fell into place and we got into a routine.  Then it felt like life had always been this way.  

We left about 6 months between adopting Freya and Kyra. Freya was only 6 months when she came to us, and her separation anxiety was so bad we decided to take the risk. Kyra is 6 months older than her, and we were really lucky coz they got on great from day 1.

We let them meet a few times before Kyra came to live with us permanently, and there were a couple of arguments in the first 2 weeks, but they both adapted really well.

Hello

We got our first sibe in Aug 2013, he was rescue and 18 months old. He seemed to settle in really well over the first few weeks and we said we'd like another dog but sometime in the future.

Then in the November we had the chance to rescue a 4 month old pup, I was very reluctant as I felt it was too soon to introduce a second dog so soon after rehomeing the first.  Well we were really lucky, they got on great and we've never looked back.

I think in an ideal situation it's better to wait but ultimately it depends on you and the dogs in question.  It's a good idea to let them meet, even maybe foster the second dog for a weekend and see how it goes.

Good luck :)

Maybe I'm a bit of a risk-taker over here because I've gotten my 5 dogs within...1 and a half years. I got Meeko and Cara about a week apart in June '13 when they were puppies and we didn't get another puppy (Jager) until June/July '14. But then we got Roux (as a puppy) in August '14 and just got our newest puppy Leloo last week... So I only have experience with adding new puppies to my family so I know it's not the same situation. Jager did great when we got him, Meeko and Cara picked at him for the first couple of weeks, but then they all did great together. Roux did really great with the other dogs, it took her less time to adjust to them than Jager even though she was very tiny when we got her, and is still small for her age. Our newest girl, Leloo, is also doing pretty well. She started warming up to the other dogs a few days ago, we just watch them because she is very small and they get too rough sometimes.

I think if you guys really want to add another dog you should go ahead and do it. If it's something you're not sure about and just feel like it's convenient because someone needs to re-home him, then maybe wait a while until you are really sure. Each time I got one of my dogs, I didn't really have second thoughts. I wanted them and decided to get them, and so far have no regrets.  :)