How To Transition Out Of Sleeping In Crate At Night

kchesney8

So Aspen is a little over a year old and I am wanting to transition her out of sleeping in a crate like space to sleeping on her own in my bedroom.  Right now I have a tall outside pen style thing in the room and she just hops in and goes to sleep.  However it is taking up a large space in the small bedroom.  Tuff my other husky sleeps under the bed.  I have tried taking the crate out before but she just wants to play and bug her brother.  

Does anyone have any suggestion or tips on how to transition her out of her crate at night?

Mitch always wanted to move Skye upstairs at night after a while, but to be honest I was never keen and as she's perfectly happy where she and totally settled and happy in her routine I'm not inclined to move her or Holly. To be fair, if Skye doesn't have access to her crate she gets very restless, we always have to make sure the crate door is open.

How about moving the crate to your bedroom as a starting point?

I didn't really do anything formal to transition mine from the crate. When Nikko was about 5-6 months old I just let him sleep in my bed and he did fine.  Yukon was much younger, because it was hard to keep him in the crate while Nikko was in bed. 

Aspen is already in the bedroom she's just in a crate.  It would be nice to not have to shimmy to the bed anymore.  I'm thinking of just leaving the crate door open and see how that works and then after a week move the crate out.  She would also have a lot more room, she is starting to outgrow the space.

Question, is it a crate or a pen ? If it's a pen could you simply remove a couple of sections from the front ? If you take it apart a bit at a time over a couple of weeks it might help. A crate would be harder, do you have a base liner or tray ? Could you slide it halfway under the bed ?

When Ice first started to sleep in our room at night, he used to pester Bear for a while before settling down but after a while they adjusted and now both will go to their preferred spots and go to sleep. 

I'm going to start trying this weekend.  That way hopefully they will get it all out of their system and don't pester each other for too long.  :)  Yes I am being very hopeful.  I work at 5am, so I like them to get as much sleep as possible.  Wish me luck!  :)  

I don't think Sarah would stop screaming if I removed her crate. She considers it HER space and goes into it when she's tired of Capser or the people or just wants to be left alone.

I still use the crate to contain Sarah when something odd or dangerous is happening, eg. the electricians working on the generator wiring box or the plumbers or whatnot. I also put her in the crate when elderly family members come over. I don't want Sarah knocking  them down with her exuberant welcome. And she has never wanted to spend the night outside the crate, I suppose because she's slept in it for four years now.

If you decide to remove the crate store it in case you need to contain Aspen for any reason, eg. following surgery or recovery for some injury, etc.