How Can You Tell If A Husky Will Be Open-Faced?

SnowDogLove

This question is purely for my curiosity's sake as yes, I am aware that no one should be breeding to produce certain colors and markings, yada yada. I'm just curious about the Husky with the open face! Siberians all have such unique markings and I see so many different facial markings but not often one with an open face. My sister likes the open-faced Huskies, while I personally love heavy markings. So how do you know if a puppy will develop an open face? I've seen puppies with a lot of white on their forehead but it shrinks instead of spreads. This is also a great opportunity to share some pictures of your furbabies.  :lol: 

I don't know... genetics, I guess? But then again it's really a gamble because puppies rarely keep their looks all the way through adulthood. If you're looking for a dog with a certain appearance I'd say it's easier to adopt an adult. They've stopped changing markings :up:

You can usually get a good idea of their markings from a young age, but they still change a bit.

Here's Loki as a pup:

P2FZ-Resized640x480.jpg

and now:

IMG_20141203_075831.jpg

But the colours changed a lot. I personally prefer the open face a bit more as the heavy masks kinda make them look angry, but just personal preference :)

Edited by Dan

I love the angry looks! The angrier the better! Meeko and Roux both have that angry-eyebrow look. [emoji1]

I don't know... genetics, I guess? But then again it's really a gamble because puppies rarely keep their looks all the way through adulthood. If you're looking for a dog with a certain appearance I'd say it's easier to adopt an adult. They've stopped changing markings :up:

Very true! [emoji106] [emoji4]

• 3 weeks later...

I personally prefer masks. The reason I chose my puppy was because she had a stripe down her nose rather than her open-faced sister xP I can say I don't regret my choice, not because of appearance but because my female is a little spitfire with incredible working ability and is the smallest and closest to standard out of all her relatives. Pictured below is my bar-masked Yuki and her open-faced cousin.

post-8679-0-46491000-1422139129_thumb.pn

She is also known as the Bane to all Man-dog kind. Poor boys must suffer the whims of her Highness.

My my, you wouldn't be referring to /my/ himesama would you? ;) 

Hahahahaha!!!! The boys are seriously out of luck, Link tried to play with her on his terms and she was all 'rawr no I don't want to play with you' and he immediately backed off, but when he finally got settled on the couch and comfy and relaxed she runs over and dives on top of him and goes WE PLAY NOW and wouldn't let up. They're simply at her command rofl. 

You can usually get a good idea of their markings from a young age, but they still change a bit.

But the colours changed a lot. I personally prefer the open face a bit more as the heavy masks kinda make them look angry, but just personal preference :)

This is what I meant by shrinking. His mask looked more open when he was a puppy and then sort of shrank a bit. Although I would still definitely classify him as an open-faced. [emoji106]

I love them both. Asher our come to visit dog has an open face, Lucky has a striking Mask and Howler and Noah have eye markings.

Photos, Howler, Lucky, Noah, Asher with the red eye :D

Poor Noah is probably going to end up being the smallest one in the house, isn't he? [emoji1]