Is My Boy Too Small/short For His Age?

davecerv

I'm beginning to think that Mylo my boy is small/short compared to the typical 3 month old siberian huskies I've seen. (tall and much heavier by this age))

He weighted 7.8lbs when he was at the vet about a week ago. 

Maybe he's gonna have a late growth spurt? 

He was slightly smaller than his brothers and sisters. 

Tell me what you guys think. 

post-12661-0-74237600-1420926826_thumb.j

post-12661-0-71656100-1420926843_thumb.j

They come in all shapes and sizes. Don't get hung up on it.  He looks cute as a button to me. X enjoy and don't do the compare.com thing. If your vet is happy with him and his weight growth and well being. Then enjoy your bundle. X

Huskies are a working dog and were bred for what they were needed for, hence they are real dogs not manufactured.  Crufts you are so Posh and Becks.com.

I took a closer look at the pedigrees and turns out my boy is a inbred pup… :huh:  this could explain why he's like this. 

Is this really bad??

It could be bad or it could mean nothing at all. Ring your breeder. Some lines are fine with it, some lines aren't. Lani's Rogue was apparently inbred and later developed juvenile cataracts :(

Hidden

Most Siberians are inbred. What makes a difference is that it was done with a VERY specific goal by a VERY knowledgeable breeder who considered all the results and took a very keen eye to the parents health certification results.

My first sibe was out of two half siblings.

Lani's dog developed cataracts through negligence on the breeder's part, not inbreeding. As a matter of fact, rogue's condition was the result of ignoring health testing.The last time I spoke with her about rogue, it was looking as though she will be blind soon. She just had her second birthday.

90% of the siberians alive today hit one of 4-5 MAJOR breed bottlenecks, where popular sires were overbred. We talk a LOT about being careful not to overbreed a female, but we also have to take into account that the males have to be managed as well. The official breed was developed in 1932, looking at many of the 2nd generation sled dogs from Chukotka stock. In almost every pedigree you will find: Pando, Cinnar, and Chips.

Hidden

I'm sorry, but Jaimie is correct.  The biggest failure in Rogue's breeding was the breeders lack of ethics and lack of health testing...which I'm sorry is just plain ignorant when it comes to eye health and breeding Siberian Huskies.  Line breeding, not called inbreeding, in itself is not the most damming thing in a pedigree when it's done by ethical breeders who have a very thorough understanding of their lines and consistency on health testing through those lines.  However, line breeding done in ignorance can certainly have its consequences. 

I'm sorry, but Jaimie is correct.  The biggest failure in Rogue's breeding was the breeders lack of ethics and lack of health testing...which I'm sorry is just plain ignorant when it comes to eye health and breeding Siberian Huskies.  Line breeding, not called inbreeding, in itself is not the most damming thing in a pedigree when it's done by ethical breeders who have a very thorough understanding of their lines and consistency on health testing through those lines.  However, line breeding done in ignorance can certainly have its consequences. 

Whoops sorry about the wrong referencing :(

• 1 month later...

My Chester came from brother & sister - accidental mating.

Fortunately their lineage is sound - the grandmother was 49%wolf! I learnt last year she was pts after she attacked someone but also learnt her living/handling conditions were not brilliant and the owner was a bit strange (she did 'cage fighting' and had her waist artificially reduced by cracking ribs in a corset by her grandmother!! I reckon it was no more than 16-18". Ye gods).

Anyway the other five of Chester's siblings are apparently ok but as the runt and last one to go he's the biggest....

I also learnt that early blindness is a known problem in Sibes but what issues are there in Mals?

Health checks and breeding history is important but with Cross breed ...I don't know. Anyway I wasn't ever planning to breed from him, however if he'd had clean lines I might well have considered him for stud.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hidden

Check out the CIDD for Breed specific disorders. 

http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/breeds/overview

Cross breeding is just as important with history and health certifications. There is no such thing as the infamous "hybrid vigor". When you breed two breeds together, you are not just dealing with two or three issues, but now four to six possible problems that the dog could end up with. Twice the required testing. (part of why I have so little faith in glamour breeders. I know what it costs to send a single breed through all that health testing, I don't even want to imagine what the cost would be to test your ShorkiePoo for genetic disease! 

Every breeding is rolling the genetic dice. The goal is to breed a dog with all 10s (pretend our imaginary dice has a 1-10 scale. Two dice, two parents. In dog breeding utopia, we want dogs that both bring 10s on every trait, but since we don't we try to breed the best to the best. Even in those best to best litters you will mostly get 8s, maybe a 9 and hope like hell for a 10, but you can also get a 7 or 6.  so when we breed, it just doesn't make sense to roll two fives and maybe get that 6, but end up with a poor, unfortunate 2. 

And for those interested in the ShorkiePoo breeding.... here is your genetic gamble (some may overlap): 

Exposure keratopathy syndrome (exophthalmos, lagophthalmos, and/or macroblepharon)
brachycephalic syndrome
Cataracts
Cleft lip/palate
dermoid sinus
Ectropion
Entropion
Eyelash abnormalities
Familial kidney disease
Hydrocephalus
Intervertebral disk disease
Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) - "dry eye"
Patellar luxation
Progressive retinal atrophy
Third eyelid (nictitating membrane) abnormalities - "cherry eye"
brachycephalic syndrome
Ectropion
Entropion
Exposure keratopathy syndrome (exophthalmos, lagophthalmos, and/or macroblepharon)
Retinal dysplasia
sebaceous adenitis
Tricuspid valve dysplasia
Urolithiasis (stones)
___
Patellar luxation
Portosystemic shunt
tracheal collapse
Retinal dysplasia
Cataracts
colour dilution alopecia
congenital hypotrichosis
Cryptorchidism, retained testicle
Entropion
Hydrocephalus
Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's syndrome)
Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
Shaker dog syndrome
Urolithiasis (stones)
Entropion
Corneal dystrophy
dermoid sinus
========
Mitral valve dysplasia
Patellar luxation
Atopy
Cataracts
Cerebellar abiotrophy(ataxia)
Coagulation (bleeding) disorders
congenital hypotrichosis
Corneal dystrophy
Cryptorchidism, retained testicle
Deafness
Diabetes mellitus
ectodermal defect
Entropion
Eyelash abnormalities
Glaucoma
Globoid cell leukodystrophy (galactocerebrosidosis)
Growth hormone-responsive dermatosis; adrenal sex hormone responsive dermatosis
Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's syndrome)
Hypothyroidism
Idiopathic epilepsy
Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA)
Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia
Intervertebral disk disease
Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
Lupus erythematosus (systemic, cutaneous/discoid)
Malassezia dermatitis/otitis
Microphthalmia; ocular dysgenesis
Optic nerve hypoplasia and micropapilla
Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
Pyruvate kinase (PK) deficiency
Retinal dysplasia
sebaceous adenitis
Third eyelid (nictitating membrane) abnormalities - "cherry eye"
Urolithiasis (stones)
von Willebrand's disease
Entropion

You have a beautiful puppy! [emoji7] My Roux is also a slow grower, compared to my first two. I even started wondering if I had somehow gotten a miniature Husky or something, but she's slowly getting there. I'm sure your boy will measure up soon; if you got a look at his parents then you should expect him to be similar in size so if they were standard height, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. [emoji5]

Hey everyone I had forgot about this thread since it was dormant for a while but now I will give an update about Mylo my boy. He's now four months old, 16lbs. His legs are finally getting longer (getting taller). He's happy and healthy. We walk at least 30 minutes everyday and even got comfortable walking shoes cause I need them haha. I asked the vet about his growth rate and she doesn't think anything about it.

@syne7 Wow 15lbs at 12 weeks!?? that just shows how far behind my boy is.

Picture time!!

post-12661-0-26540500-1425235217_thumb.j

post-12661-0-05867400-1425235234_thumb.j

post-12661-0-54113000-1425235282_thumb.j

post-12661-0-50441600-1425236513_thumb.j

post-12661-0-50326400-1425236581_thumb.j

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The first time I went to husky camp I was surprised at how big everyone elses huskies were compared to mine. When I enquired about this I was told that huskies come in all shapes and sizes but they should only be around 21" at the shoulder whe fully grown. Breed standards seem to have changed over the years and some people say mine are to small but they have a fantastic bloodline so I know there is nothing wrong. He'll grow to whatever size he grows to and as long as he is loved he won't worry about it.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah