Why Bother?

BingBlaze n Skyla

I got this email today

Please find above a link to the property you were interested in. Unfortunately the landlord of this particular property does not accept pets

If you would still like to view this property, let me know and I’ll be happy to arrange that for you.

Now why on earth would I still want to view the house if they don't accept pets!?

Because as we have seen many times on here

People will happily rehome their pets to get a better house.

What a ridiculous thing to say.....I have a couple of properties I rent out and am not opposed to pets in the slightest, it's life, I wouldn't ever say no to kids so I'm certainly not going to insist on no pets....children potentially can cause just about as much damage as pets anyhoo.....as can grandparents as my dad has just found out when my wonderful but full of althziemers nan accidentally pulled a towel rail of the wall....don't even ask lol

What a ridiculous thing to say.....I have a couple of properties I rent out and am not opposed to pets in the slightest, it's life, I wouldn't ever say no to kids so I'm certainly not going to insist on no pets....children potentially can cause just about as much damage as pets anyhoo.....as can grandparents as my dad has just found out when my wonderful but full of althziemers nan accidentally pulled a towel rail of the wall....don't even ask lol

Fancy getting a house in Coventry n renting it out ;-) lol

I wouldn't allow children under 5 in my properties - the one I did allow made a mess. Pets are allowed if I am asked first, and I can withdraw my consent later (for a valid reason e.g. not house trained).

I wouldn't allow children under 5 in my properties - the one I did allow made a mess. Pets are allowed if I am asked first, and I can withdraw my consent later (for a valid reason e.g. not house trained).

See that's what bugs me! The fact they just say no n don't do what u do n take each one on by an individual case , I can understand if they said no for reasons like that , but skyla doesn't chew . She's spayed doesn't bark is crate trained n actually doesn't really do anything u wouldn't know she's there apart from some fur I just wish people would decide on individuality rather then just say no straight off

It is actually probably  illegal to blanket ban pets. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/284440/oft356.pdf

Against keeping any pets.

Our objection is to blanket exclusions of pets without consideration of all the circumstances. Such a term has been considered unfair under comparable legislation in another EU member state because it could prevent a tenant keeping a goldfish. We are unlikely to object to a term prohibiting the keeping of pets that could harm the property, affect subsequent tenants or be a nuisance to other residents.

Doesn't make any sense.  Most places here will say up front if pets are allowed.  It is difficult to find places that do accept pets, and when they do they usually have either breed bans or weight limits.  I am screwed if I have to rent because I have never found anyplace that would allow 3 huskies 

Over here you usually hear "Pets on application" in the listing. I've never had to deal with it myself yet but presumably it's a bit of a personality test for your pets to make sure they're not gonna cause problems (or you have far too many etc). However, how many animals you can own is set by council regulations over here. I think a single person is allowed 2 dogs. If you're housesharing though I believe you can have more than that living at the same house provided the landlord is fine with it.

so easy here, unless you rent privately from one induvial to another, so in otherwords if you rent from a company pets cannot be refused, unless they get to many complaints once you already live ther but that is a whole other matter...it still has to be a normal pet like not a horse in the back garden stuff like that :D

so easy here, unless you rent privately from one induvial to another, so in otherwords if you rent from a company pets cannot be refused, unless they get to many complaints once you already live ther but that is a whole other matter...it still has to be a normal pet like not a horse in the back garden stuff like that :D

Yeah, I was looking into that recently while seeing if I could rent a place. Couldn't find anything about it on their site, turns out animals are allowed by default. Quite happy about that!

Unfortunately I can see why you are having the problem. The issue is that quite a large amount of people do not keep their dogs properly and end up wrecking the places. I gotta say if I was renting out a house I would think very seriously on whether I would be happy to rent it to someone with animals or not. You would think this place would stop me from doing that, but the reality is just look around at some of the pics where dogs have destroyed things and ya can see why. Frustrating I know, but thats the reality.

This is a major problem in The US. I guess lots of pet owners have set a bad example, so the majority of apartments are either not pet-friendly at all, or pet-friendly with a zillion restrictions. As if that's not enough, the latter group is usually far from city hotspots and, well... uglier. At this point, I'm seriously considering to register Dime as an emotional support animal so that he'd be accepted in any apartment. It's sad to think I have to do that though :( it'd be a lot easier if property owners do case-by-case interviews instead of putting a blanket restriction/ban.

We've found a maisonette that will accept pets we are going to go view it BUT it's first floor which might prove annoying with a dog who loves being constantly outside

still worth a quick look around IMO :) x good luck!

Edited by mydiamond