Skipping Meals?

loudlucky

Smokey's been skipping meals, refusing to eat her kibble for about two days and then eating a meal here and there and skipping again.

Vet said there's nothing wrong and that Huskies do this if you feed good quality kibble... She'll take a salmon treat here or there but mostly food won't even interest her!

I have found that she does prefer to snack at 3am if I leave her kibble in the crate with her, could it be the heat? We've had days of high 30 degrees Celsius up to 38 yesterday :-(

Any ideas or is this normal for her not to eat?? And she cannot steal food or get the other dogs' food as they are fed separately ;-)

We have one that will eat both meals one day, and then may skip the next few meals.  It is quite common with some Huskies to go a day or two with no interest in food.  I would not free feed by leaving kibble in the crate, however.  It's best to stay on a schedule.  If they skip a meal here or there, it should not be a problem.

Yes, she'll pig out one day and want like 5 cups of food and then won't care about it the next few days!

I thought it might have something to do with how active she is, but that is more random is my guess... I do not free feed, just left it in once by accident and noticed her esting at night and then tried it again a few times and I guess she's a bit of a night owl, but I'd prefer not being woken up by crunching kibble in the night!

Yeah it's quite normal.

Darwin will eat like a horse for a week then skip a couple of days then back to

wolfing it down.

Harry does this every other week, it seems normal for huskies to do this.  The only problem you may get is if they have strong stomach acid they may bring up bile.  When Harry turns his nose up at food I try and give him a couple of spoonfuls of natural yogurt, I find this prevents him from being sick.